Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

Group Reads > No Wind of Blame Group Read August 2016 Chapters 9-16

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2689 comments Mod
This is the place to discuss the second half of No Wind of Blame, please use spoiler tags or discuss in the spoilers thread.

How is everyone feeling about the book? Did you like it?

message 2: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3624 comments Finally got some reading time this evening and I'm almost through chapter 11 - I'm really enjoying it! It picked up for me after Hemingway and crew arrived on the scene, he's so much fun and just the man to handle the histrionics of the Palings household...

message 3: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Susan in NC wrote: "Finally got some reading time this evening and I'm almost through chapter 11 - I'm really enjoying it! It picked up for me after Hemingway and crew arrived on the scene, he's so much fun and just t..."

He comes off so normal and able to see through the crazies that I enjoyed him, too.

message 4: by Louise (new)

Louise Culmer it's more fun once inspector hemmingway arrives. he is a very amusing character.

message 5: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4444 comments Mod
Louise wrote: "it's more fun once inspector hemmingway arrives. he is a very amusing character."

Yes although (view spoiler)

I'm nearly finished and can't wipe the grin off my face when I'm reading this!

message 6: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1394 comments Susan in NC wrote: "Finally got some reading time this evening and I'm almost through chapter 11 - I'm really enjoying it! It picked up for me after Hemingway and crew arrived on the scene, he's so much fun and just t..."

me too. I love his sarcasm and deadpan humor. I was waiting for him to arrive. He's always amusing.

I want to slap Vicki and Ermyntrude, Janet too. Vicki and Hugh's squabbling gets on my nerves. You know how that is going to end up. Heyer seems to like that plot. I'm not a fan.

message 7: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I can stand Vicki, because she's at least got some understanding and a bit of intelligence and humor, but Janet? Oh, my, what a completely tiresome bit of humanity. What could her tea planter be thinking of?!?

message 8: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3624 comments Karlyne wrote: "I can stand Vicki, because she's at least got some understanding and a bit of intelligence and humor, but Janet? Oh, my, what a completely tiresome bit of humanity. What could her tea planter be th..."

She really is a drip, isn't she?

message 9: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Susan in NC wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "I can stand Vicki, because she's at least got some understanding and a bit of intelligence and humor, but Janet? Oh, my, what a completely tiresome bit of humanity. What could her t..."

A drip - yes!

message 10: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1394 comments Janet's tea planter is thinking he's in India and she's in England and he'd like to keep it that way! Out of sight, out of hearing, out of mind. Unless he's deaf?! It sounds like everyone tunes her out anyway.

message 11: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3624 comments QNPoohBear wrote: "Janet's tea planter is thinking he's in India and she's in England and he'd like to keep it that way! Out of sight, out of hearing, out of mind. Unless he's deaf?! It sounds like everyone tunes her..."

LOL!

message 12: by Hana (last edited Aug 30, 2016 10:45AM) (new)

Hana | 652 comments Ha! I have to agree on Janet--"a drip" is the perfect description. Although at one point I thought she might be the murderess (view spoiler)

On the tea planter, I immediately thought of the tea planter in Indian Summers--a BBC drama that aired on PBS last season. I gave up on it midway through but there was this character who'd gone out to India to run a tea plantation but lost himself to booze. He was thoroughly repellent and I enjoyed picturing Janet getting off the boat in Ceylon and finding her cherished tea planter all fat and dissipated.

message 13: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Hana wrote: "Ha! I have to agree on Janet--"a drip" is the perfect description. Although at one point I thought she might be the murderess [spoilers removed]

On the tea planter, I immediately thought of the te..."

She has no grip on reality, so I wonder if she'd have thought him wonderful anyway? The character from Indian Summers sounds like the bad fiancée in Shadow of the Moon. Blech.

But I'm picturing an alternate reality for Janet, complete with marksmanship...

message 14: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2689 comments Mod
I agree, she had no connection to reality, and I completely forgot about her, she was not very likable.

message 15: by Hana (new)

Hana | 652 comments Karlyne, you're right about the Shadow of the Moon connection--a similar and very unpleasant character.

message 16: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Karlyne wrote: "But I'm picturing an alternate reality for Janet, complete with marksmanship...

Hahahahaha!

message 17: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Carol ♛ Type, Oh Queen! ♛ wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "But I'm picturing an alternate reality for Janet, complete with marksmanship...

Hahahahaha!"

Didn't you just get a sudden vision of her as a completely different character under all the drippiness?!?

message 18: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Karlyne wrote: "
Didn't you just get a sudden vision of her as a co..."

No I had a picture of her lifeless body!

I'm a bad person!

message 19: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Carol ♛ Type, Oh Queen! ♛ wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "
Didn't you just get a sudden vision of her as a co..."

No I had a picture of her lifeless body!

I'm a bad person!"

Hahahahaha! Wheeze! Gasp! Yours is a more realistic picture!

message 20: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 543 comments I will say that if No Wind of Blame were the kind of mystery that had more than one murder, Janet would be a hot prospect for an additional victim! Probably because the murderer was afraid she'd talk too much about the wrong things (even if no one did listen to her).

message 21: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Is the sign of a good murder mystery the fact that no one minds that the victim is dead? I know I like the weird satisfaction that comes with knowing that there's one less idiot on the planet to plague the life out of everyone else so much that I'm willing to overlook the actual murder. (But I hope I only feel like that in the abstract...)

message 22: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 543 comments I'd say it's more the sign of a Golden Age murder mystery like Heyer's, where the puzzle is the main plot interest. Having a victim that nobody liked tends to widen the field of suspects, and prevents the reader being so distressed about the death that they can't concentrate on the clues.

message 23: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3624 comments Hana wrote: "Ha! I have to agree on Janet--"a drip" is the perfect description. Although at one point I thought she might be the murderess [spoilers removed]

On the tea planter, I immediately thought of the te..."

Me too! I thought it would be fascinating like the BBC dramatization of "Raj Quartet" that captivated me in high school, I forget what they called the TV version, but "Indian Summer" just didn't do it...but yes, he'd be perfect for Janet the Drip's tea planter!

message 24: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

I quite liked Wally - he was so completely awful! Honestly if (view spoiler)

message 25: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Carol ♛ Type, Oh Queen! ♛ wrote: "I quite liked Wally - he was so completely awful! Honestly if [spoilers removed]"

The really bad thing is that her father would have just been annoyed with her!

message 26: by Hana (new)

Hana | 652 comments Karlyne wrote: "...I know I like the weird satisfaction that comes with knowing that there's one less idiot on the planet..."
I have to note that we've now fantasized about multiple character deaths...Wally, of course, the Prince (in a duel), and now Janet! I confess I wished for Ermy-whosit's demise on multiple occasions and Vicky more than once. Either we are an exceptionally blood-thirsty group of readers or (hopefully!) Margaret & Karlyne are right and this is one of those classic Golden Age devices. But then I read Carol's spoiler comment, agreed completely...and I wondered about us once again.....:D

message 27: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3624 comments Karlyne wrote: " Carol ♛ Type, Oh Queen! ♛ wrote: "I quite liked Wally - he was so completely awful! Honestly if [spoilers removed]"

The really bad thing is that her father would have just been annoyed with her!"

Exactly - who's going to serve the tea and clean up after?!

message 28: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1394 comments I agree with Hana! Quite often in mysteries, the victim was so unpleasant, there were any number of people, including the reader, who wished them dead. It would have been more interesting if Wally and the sketchy prince (Alexis? For real? Is that British for Alexei?) killed each other in a duel or hunting or whatever.

As I was reading these chapters, I kept hoping the Prince was the murderer, all the way until the reveal. I won't say if I was right or wrong, just that I HOPED.

Poor Janet. Stick her with Maria or whatever her name is in Lady of Quality and see who can out talk each other. I feel compassion towards Maria though, whereas Janet is a young woman with more opportunities than a Regency woman.

message 29: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Louise I moved your comment to the spoilers thread.

message 30: by Louise (new)

Louise Culmer QNPoohBear wrote: "I agree with Hana! Quite often in mysteries, the victim was so unpleasant, there were any number of people, including the reader, who wished them dead. It would have been more interesting if Wally ..."

i liked the prince, didn't want him to be the murderer. And i felt sorry for janet, who had been bullied by her nasty old father all her life.

message 31: by Louise (new)

Louise Culmer Carol ♛ Type, Oh Queen! ♛ wrote: "Louise I moved your comment to the spoilers thread."

but you moved it to the wrong spoiler thread.