UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Agony Aunt > Overheating Computers

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments One of the classic problems, particularly with laptops,is an overheating processor. Symptoms are:

Hot spots on the computer.
Fans not cutting out.
Computer running slowly.

Often the paste that passes heat from the processor to the fan has broken down. This is a particular problem with laptops. The paste becomes hardened and brittle over time.

To solve this:

You need to buy two things from eBay, neither are particularly expensive and the job is quite simple.

Here is the thermal paste:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-THERMAL...

Here is the cleaner:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arctic-Silv...

If you take the base off the laptop you'll see the processor and the heatsink with the fan next to the radiator. Undo the screws that attach the heatsink to the processor and lift it off. You'll then see the top of the processor. Clean both the top of the processor and the underside of the heatsink. Once this is done apply the paste to the top of the processor only. Screw everything back down and off you go. Job done.

As this is quite a common problem, I'll be happy to advise with other problems of this nature.

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago You are obviously a very useful person. Are you adopting elderly Luddites into the bargain?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Our Geoffy is lovely, isn't he?

Have a cookie, pickle. Wash your hands first. I know you've been 'measuring the bathroom' again.

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) I'm still having problems with my laptop since my reset Geoff - so I thought I'd try a Microsoft Fix-it Troubleshoot....... but when I clicked on the icon - a message popped up telling me my system doesn't support Microsoft - which is ridic - as I have Microsoft Word, Excel etc - below is the screenshot I took of the message pop-up!!

Microsoft Family photo Microsoft Family_zpss28vhqdi.png

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments You have a lovely family, Flo.

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Thanks - one Grandson and one Great-Granddaughter missing, but other than than - they're all there.

message 7: by Pam (last edited Jul 31, 2016 10:40AM) (new)

Pam Baddeley | 3082 comments Geoff, my problem was:

couldn't get the cover off. There's a largish crew in the centre of the base which loosens but won't lift out. Hence couldn't apply any practical fix other than the HP recommended compressed air canister, which I'm not convinced did much.

think the WIFI is fried; at least, another person had an identical problem with this model and when they managed to get the cover off, it was the WIFI card so that's another potential hotspot. I don't know what the prevention for that would be and I think it's too late. Will know 100% when I next reboot and run a F2 utility check, but I'm not seeing the wifi adapter in the network details in Windows any more (I usually use the ethernet connection). I've now got it standing raised on 4 plastic feet off an old monitor stand and the area although quite warm is not getting as hot as before and the area coming out of the main exit fan area on the left is warm, not really hot.

message 8: by Pam (last edited Jul 31, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Pam Baddeley | 3082 comments It's been recommended to me to buy a stand with fan incorporated but as those all seem to run off the USB I'm not sure it wouldn't be exacerbating any overheating problem anyway?

Hoping you can advise Geoff - I looked at them on Amazon but resisted the temptation to order one at present.

the stupid thing is I never use machines like this on my lap - only on a desk. But the LT has ventillation holes all over the bottom....

message 9: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 4539 comments Geoff (G. Robbins) (The noisy passionfruit) wrote: "One of the classic problems, particularly with laptops,is an overheating processor. Symptoms are:

Hot spots on the computer.
Fans not cutting out.
Computer running slowly.

Often the paste that ..."

Can I do that with an older MacBook? It started running hot, and the fan was always on (I'm incredibly noise-sensitive), so I bit the bullet (several years ago) and bought a new one.

I'd love to have my old friend back, even without updating the software. Just the basics, and be able to take it with me on vacation to spare the new one.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22136 comments I have the problem with the desk-top that we live in an old house, with no central heating, and this bit of it relies on an open fire for warmth in winter.
So every couple of years I take off the side panel and gently use the vacuum cleaner to get rid of the dust