Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

The Graveyard Book
This topic is about The Graveyard Book
Archives > BotM 2016 - [August] The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman - Part 3 (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zaz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaz | 2983 comments Part 3 Questions

Section of book: 51-75% (around 3:51-5:46 for the audio)

Notes:
- Each member is asked to end with a question for the next member.
- If the person above you forgets to pose a question then just pick a different one from above (make sure you indicate which one you're answering!)
- If some other question from above moves you then feel free to answer as many as you want. It is a discussion after all! ;)

1. Who are your favorite characters so far?

2. In your opinion, why Silas didn’t dance at the Macabray?

3. Bullies are everywhere. What did you think of the tricks chosen by Bod to deal with them?

4. Do you think it’s dangerous for Bod that Scarlett and Mr Frost use the graveyard?

5. Answer the question posed by the person above you!

message 2: by Marina H (last edited Aug 03, 2016 02:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marina H | 1314 comments 1. Who are your favorite characters so far?
I like Silas and his way of teaching and looking out for Bod. I also like Liza. I think she adds a bit of fun and she's a good friend to Bod

I'm guessing his a vampire, and that might have something to do with it. I think he tries to stay away from people, so he don't end up hurting anyone.
I also think that he is more concerned about looking out for Bod, and he knows Jack is still looking for Bod.

3. Bullies are everywhere. What did you think of the tricks chosen by Bod to deal with them?
I'm not sure. I mean they learnt a lesson, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of scaring children.

4. Do you think it’s dangerous for Bod that Scarlett and Mr Frost use the graveyard?
I don't know why, but when Scarlett first saw Mr Frost, I had a thought id he could be Jack? If he is Jack, then yes I'm thinking Scarlett might lead him to Bod. I'm just not sure how Jack would know Scarlett or that she knew Bod when they were younger, but then again I'm not sure who or what Jack really is.

I can't come up with a new question right now. I'll add it if something pops up!

message 3: by Zaz (last edited Aug 05, 2016 02:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaz | 2983 comments 1. Who are your favorite characters so far?
Scarlett, she’s refreshing, and the Sleer, totally involved in their roles :)

Gaiman didn’t say exactly what sort of character was Silas. In my opinion, he’s something like a vampire, so he’s neither really alive or dead, so he can’t join the dance.

They were creepy. I'm not sure I agree on what he did, if they were adults, it wouldn't bother me, but it seemed rude with children. In another hand, it solved the problems, nobody was hurt and maybe a good lesson was taught.

Yes, it seems everybody is less careful than before and Jack was alerted that Bod was in town, so it increases the risk that someone sees Bod or something strange.

My question: If you found a secret and dark tomb, under a hill, would you visit it?

message 4: by J (last edited Aug 06, 2016 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

J Austill | 664 comments 1. Who are your favorite characters so far?

Miss Lupescu and Elizabeth Hempstock

Silas told us why. He said that he is neither living nor dead. Since the Macabray is a dance between the living and the dead, he has no place in it.

"All must dance the Macabray," said Bod, remembering. "Have you danced it? What kind of dance is it?"

His guardian looked at him with eyes like black pools and said, "I do not know. I know many things, Bod, for I have been walking this earth at night for a very long time, but I do not know what it is like to dance the Macabray. You must be alive or you must be dead to dance it - and I am neither."

I appreciate the intent, but it wasn't the best way to deal with them. What i do appreciate is that it is rather realistic for the character, as a youth he isn't going to always make the best decisions even if he has the right idea.

I find it very ominous. I don't think that Mr. Frost is Jack but I think its quite possible that he works for or is a part of The Convocation.

If you found a secret and dark tomb, under a hill, would you visit it?

I would as an adult, in a heart beat. But I certainly wasn't the type of kid who would have.

My question: Will Nobody's birth family make a reappearance in the book?

Anna | 978 comments 1. Who are your favorite characters so far?
I like Silas, the strong, silent and reliable character, I like Elizabeth Hempstock, she was a good friend to Bod. I also like the Owenses for being Bod's family, and the strange Miss Lupescu.

As J explained and quoted above (well done J, you were prepared this time!) he is neither living nor dead.

I think, living in a graveyard, he used the means he had.

I am afraid it might be. As Zaz said, everyone is getting less careful.

5. If you found a secret and dark tomb, under a hill, would you visit it?
NO!

6. Will Nobody's birth family make a reappearance in the book?
I don't think so, they seemed to be very dead.

Sorry you guys, but I want to ask for a quote this time around too. Not only to find the easy way out, but the text has some fantastically quotable passages.

message 6: by Bec (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bec | 895 comments 1. Who are your favorite characters so far?
Well Bod obviously, but other than him I like Silas and Liza the best.

Because it's a dance between the living and the dead and he isn't either.

Well it taught them a lesson...I guess he used the means available to him.

I'm surprised this is the first time we have come across Mr Frost, so I think there is something dangerous about him arriving now.

5. I don't like quotes or thinking up questions so I'm leaving the quote question from above for the next person

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2807 comments 1. Who are your favorite characters so far?
I really like Bod. I think he's an interesting protagonist, and still reminds me quite a bit of young Harry Potter. I also like Scarlett because she's an interesting friend for Bod. Liza was pretty interesting too.

I got the impression that he wasn't allowed. He said that the dance was for the living and the dead, and he is neither.

I'm actually a little surprised by everyone else's reactions to this question. To me, he dealt with the bullies in the only way that he knew how considering he had never really been around live people/a school environment before. While I don't necessarily think it's right to scare children, I'm wondering what everyone thought he should have done instead. It's not like he would have naturally known to go talk to a teacher or anything like that.

Absolutely. I think it's very suspicious that Mr. Frost has just suddenly shown up and is just happens to be hanging around the graveyard. If it was just Scarlett on her own, I'm not sure it would be so bad although it would still probably draw attention.

5. A memorable quote: Once again, very difficult from the audiobook but there was a line that I liked which said something about how Silas wouldn't be upset with Bod if he didn't care. I liked it because I thought it was an interesting way of looking at it.

New question: Why do you think Scarlett has returned at this point of the story? Why her and not a new character?

Aglaea | 371 comments 1. Who are your favorite characters so far?
Bod, Silas, and the Witch.

He seems to be some other creature despite looking human. And the dance was for human living and dead only.

Well, while I don't agree with all the methods, he did act like a child. I got told off once as a child for defending rather rudely a bullied friend and my teacher called my mother rather than the bully's so... What is better when there are two 'evils' to choose from? Because the mean kids in this story seem to have crossed some significant line into real evil. Nobody said ethical decisions are easy, which in itself is something kids could learn earlier in life.

It seems like one of those coincidences... Mr. Frost seems nice of course, but what looks nice isn't always nice. I don't know.

5. Why do you think Scarlett has returned at this point of the story? Why her and not a new character?
I suppose it makes sense that they move back after the parents divorce. It seems irrational to keep a child from her father, but then again he didn't seem to take much interest in her, if I recall correctly. And her mother seems a bit whimsical or such, not the smartest of people either, so perhaps it was easy to return to a perceived safe place. There are quite a few characters now so maybe a new one would have been too much, especially (view spoiler)

Q: Did you think the preparations in the graveyard were relevant to the Macabray, when it finally happened?

Beth | 128 comments 1. Who are your favorite characters so far?
One thing I am really enjoying about this book is that all of the characters are so interesting. I'd say my favorites are Bod and Silas.

My understanding was that he wasn't allowed, being neither living or dead, which I thought was rather sad.

I'm really surprised by the reactions here. Honestly, I wasn't troubled at all by Bod's methods. First, he is a kid himself. Second, he gave the bullies the option of just not being bullies anymore before he did anything to them. Third, no one was hurt. Lastly, what he did was far more effective than anything a teacher could have done to Nick and Mo.

His real 'mistake' in judgement came in making himself noticeable. But that came from a good, human desire to stop the other kids from being bullied. After that he didn't have a lot of options, as drawing attention to himself put him in danger. He used the tools available to him, and I think frightening someone is far better than stealing, hitting, and stabbing people with pencils.

I am suspicious of Mr. Frost. Based on what we've seen so far, he seems perfectly charming, but I don't trust it. Given the name of this chapter and his immediate acquaintance with Scarlett, it seems very suspicious.

5. Did you think the preparations in the graveyard were relevant to the Macabray, when it finally happened?
It seems that they may have fancied themselves up before the dance. But the graveyard folk did seem to be doing a lot of cleaning up at the graveyard too. Since the Macabray took place down in the town, I'm not sure why that was part of their preparations.

New question: Why has Silas been gone so long? Where could he be?

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3239 comments My step-son is off to bed, so he will post tomorrow with his answers :o) In the meantime, here are mine:

1. Who are your favorite characters so far?

I like Bod, Liza, Silas and Mrs. Lupescue

I agree with the theories above but beyond that, Silas mingles with the living regularly. If something didn't go as planned, the living might realize that he wasn't one of them but was actually closer to being one of the dead and he could no longer safely walk among the living.

I didn't think going into their dreams was appropriate, but probably were a fairly normal response from a boy of his age with his powers and with very little real social training. It was nice that he recognized that bullying was wrong and that he tried to do something about it anyway.

Oh I have a very bad feeling about that!

5. Did you think the preparations in the graveyard were relevant to the Macabray, when it finally happened?

I think the cemetery preparations showed that there were more to the festivities that Bod was not privy too because he was a living boy. It further shows the separation between him and his adoptive family.

6. Why has Silas been gone so long? Where could he be?

I think he is hunting for the people/beings that want Bod dead whomever and wherever they may be.

New Question: How do you think the very sudden appearance of the mummy and his pig works into the story?

message 11: by Pamela (last edited Aug 30, 2016 12:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pamela | 1089 comments 1. Who are your favorite characters so far?
Wow, so many! I really like Silas. And Eliza. And Mrs Owen. And all the other inhabitants of the graveyard, they're so fun and quirky!

As someone above said, as he said, he's not allowed to because he is neither dead nor alive

This is a young adult book, so I'm thinking of that answer as Gaiman was writing for the age that would be dealing with bullies. It's a case of showing how to defeat using your brains and capacity.

Scarlett is fine, but not Mr Frost. He says his name is J Frost and the most famous Frost is Jack Frost..... but he seems genuinely nice and bumbling, but we're getting near the end of the book so something has to happen- right?

5. How do you think the very sudden appearance of the mummy and his pig works into the story?
What the heck is up with the pig? Did I miss something? The way I see it, having Silas suddenly hanging with a mummy and a werewolf (and an ifrit, had to google that, it's an arabic supernatural creature traditionally seen as evil) is screaming "he's a vampire cause that's the only supernatural creature missing here!" They just said he was safe from mirrors, like Gaiman is no longer hiding the vampire

My question:
What is the Honor Guard? How many are there?

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 57 comments 1. Who are your favorite characters so far?

I love Silas. His relationship with Bod is so admirable.

He is not part of the living or the dead so he couldn't participate.

I think his tricks were very smart and well executed. Those kids would not learn their lesson by simple words. They needed to be a scared a little bit. It reminds me of a more spooky, supernatural version on the Scared Straight program.

I think Scarlett will become helpful to Bod, but Mr Frost is either the man Jack or another member of that council of men.

5. What is the Honor Guard? How many are there?

I like to the think of the Honor Guard as Guardian Angels. Beings superior to humans who protect us while we are here on earth. There are probably many beings similar to Silas who help other people in trouble. We will hopefully find out how the book explains the Honor Guard.

My question: Who exactly are the council of men that the man Jack seems to be a part of? Why is it so important that Bod and his family are wiped out?