Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/BOTM > BOTM August 1 to 15 - The Game and The Governess (Governess)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Discussion thread for August 1 to 15, 2016 BOTM. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (please see "some html is ok" for instructions)

Happy reading! :)

The Game and the Governess (Winner Takes All, #1) by Kate Noble

Three friends. One Wager. Winner takes all.

The Earl—‘Lucky Ned’ Ashby. Pompous, preening, certain that he is beloved by everyone.
The Miller—John Turner. Proud, forced to work as the Earl’s secretary, their relationship growing ever more strained.
The Doctor—Rhys Gray. Practical, peace-loving, but caught in the middle of two warring friends.

Their wager is simple: By trading places with John Turner and convincing someone to fall in love with him, Ned plans to prove it’s him the world adores, not his money. Turner plans to prove him wrong.

But no one planned on Phoebe Baker, the unassuming governess who would fall into their trap, and turn everything on its head…

message 2: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 34 comments What's the name of the book?

message 4: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Hi! Has anyone started reading? I am going to start reading tomorrow.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I've started listening to the audiobook from TH library.

I think I'm in the middle of ch 7.

message 6: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2292 comments I need to go see if I can pick this up from the library or HPB today.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Mariana wrote: "I need to go see if I can pick this up from the library or HPB today."

What is HPB?

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments *Sigh*

Yet another HR with an unattractive h.

message 9: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Aug 06, 2016 07:44PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I think I like the countess.

(view spoiler)

message 10: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments I am at chapter 4 now. (view spoiler)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Priya wrote: "I am at chapter 4 now. [spoilers removed]"

I agree. (view spoiler)

message 12: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2292 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Mariana wrote: "I need to go see if I can pick this up from the library or HPB today."

What is HPB?"

Half Price Books, and I was in luck. They had one copy I picked up yesterday!

message 13: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2292 comments I am about a third of the way in, and there is still little intereaction between the H/H.

How do I add the spoiler hide?

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Here's how to do spoiler tags (minus the asterisks!

<*spoiler>blah blah blah<*/spoiler>

message 15: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2292 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Here's how to do spoiler tags (minus the asterisks!

blah blah blah"

Thank you!

message 16: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Finished reading! (view spoiler)

message 17: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Aug 09, 2016 09:01AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Priya wrote: "Finished reading! [spoilers removed]"

It wasn't clear to me either. But I thought I had missed it (the reason) since I was listening to audio. My powers of comprehension are not as strong when I listen, but they are improved from the first time I tried an audiobook.

The next book in the series is about Turner and Countess Churzy (sp?). I really liked the countess, so I'm going to get a copy of The Lie and the Lady. I really love the lower status H--higher status h trope. Not as common as if like, but I do enjoy it!

What did you think of the one (view spoiler)

I also didn't like that the h (view spoiler)

message 18: by Priya (last edited Aug 09, 2016 08:48PM) (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Priya wrote: "Finished reading! [spoilers removed]"

It wasn't clear to me either. But I thought I had missed it (the reason) since I was listening to audio. My powers of comprehension are not as s..."

I agree with you on both counts (view spoiler)

message 19: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Hi Martha!

Looks like we all want to read the other books of this series. We can have a buddy read if you like:)

As for September BOTM, we are going to read HR featuring marriage of convenience.The nominations thread is put up. Please feel free to nominate books with that trope.