World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > If you have an author website or blog this may help your SEO ranking.

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments This is totally not my area of expertise but I found the techie stuff interesting and wanted to share.

http://bookmarketingtools.com/blog/on...

message 2: by Nik (last edited Jul 31, 2016 07:24AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 15694 comments Some useful info, thanks, Tara.
I was thinking of establishing an author's site indeed and routing a meager traffic to there instead of Amazon. Things to know in the link

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments I am going to do likewise. I'm realizing I have a lot to learn about this lol.

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 290 comments This is interesting - thanks Tara.

Some of this advice can't be deployed on the platform I use, which is Blogger. (Though it clearly can on Wordpress - I am wondering whether to switch.)

Interesting point about mobile platforms. As of now, only about 14% of my hits over the last three years have been from Android or iPhone, but the percentage is rising. They are also clearly right that as the months go by and there are more and more keywords in your blog posts, the number of hits does rise - that's been my experience.

The whole question of using ads on social media (Facebook, Goodreads, Twitter) is a vexed one - I have had very little success with this but others have, and I wonder if it turns on your genre and how easy it is to target its readers.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Mike
Interesting. How did you decide between author website or author blog? I'm not sure I have the stamina to keep up a blog.

message 6: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 290 comments I'm not sure you need to make that decision; you could have an author website with a blog attached, and in fact I keep meaning to add some author pages that link to the blog.

The blog is in fact quite a lot of work, but you can reuse the material. I used pieces from it in my book The Nine Horizons and will publish a collection of other, partly book-related, essays from it in a projected book called Reading a Century, which will come out in the next six months if I get me act together - something I'm not always good at!

Besides sometimes providing useful material, the blog keeps me writing at times when I feel unable to proceed with a book, because I'm feeling burnt-out or have a problem with its direction. That's happened a lot.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments This makes sense. A blog doesn't have to be as structured, idealogically, as a book and can keep yu on your writing toes. What benefits do you get from having an author site and how did you decide which elements to include?

message 8: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 290 comments At the moment it's just a blog. When I do get round to a proper author page, there'll be a concise bio and summaries of the books, with links to retailers - including one for direct sales of paperbacks off the site. There are a couple of ways of doing this. In my case, my service provider, Lulu, will act as the "back end" and fulfill the orders, but one could also link to a PayPal account - in that case you would have to dispatch the books yourself.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Thanks Mike, I'll keep this in mind.

message 10: by Annie (last edited Jul 31, 2016 11:10AM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Mike: I started with Blogger (cuz that's what the fiction blog I originally contributed to uses) and switched over to Wordpress less than 2 weeks later.

Gotta say you did a nice job with Blogger. Looks clean and professional, imho.

@Miss Tara: I do everything "author-y" from one place. And run an online fiction blog (for other wounded hero writers) in another place. Not sure I could keep track of more than two sites...

*crazy laugh*

EDIT: Oh! I've also sold ebooks direct from my site too!! Using Easy Digital Downloads. Piece of cake!!

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Omg, Annie - Easy Digital Downloads sounds like just the thing...I'm going to be creating lots of free content in order to capture email addresses. Thank youuuu! So people can use EDD to pay for and download books? Is it connected to paypal?

message 12: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 290 comments Easy Digital Downloads looks extremely interesting - if it does what it says on the tin, worth looking into - thanks Annie

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Annie
Ddo you find that you have a lot of wounded veterans as fans/readers?

message 14: by Annie (last edited Jul 31, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Miss Tara: Not initially as I started off with a very "exclusive" niche readership (a.k.a. the possums). But since going "public" on Amazon...hmm, I'm not positive...

One reader emailed me that her ex was a para. Another that her hubby coaches the Cdn Wheelchair Bball team. The majority say this is the first disabled hero they've read.

I do have wounded vets who've read my stuff, but I knew them before, so not sure that counts?

I'll definitely keep a tally and update you as I go, though ^_~

Hugs,
Ann

EDIT: And you're welcome, Mr Mike!

EDIT 2: Oh, geez! I need to read all the comments before replying hahaha!! Yes, EDD is used to pay for and download books. Yes, it's connected to paypal.

I'll post a link to show ya what it looks like...be right back...

message 15: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Okay, I whipped up an example for ya:

https://www.anniearcane.com/edd-examp...

You can put the shortcode anywhere you want. Hope that helps!!

Hugs,
Ann

message 16: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Sorry to brain vomit on this thread, guys! I totally just thought of something else hahaha...haha...ha...

Blogger is sufficient for blogging (thanks, Captain Obvious!) but if you have your heart set on an author site, I would highly recommend a different option. Blogger only allows you to create a maximum of 20 static pages, which isn't a heck of a lot, imho.

Okay. Bye.

message 17: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15694 comments Some really helpful info and sell option. Thanks!

message 18: by Devorah (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) I have two blogs: devorahfox.com and https://devorahfox.wordpress.com/ Similar, but different.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Devorah
Interesting. Why did you decide on two sites?

message 20: by Devorah (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) Tara wrote: "Devorah
Interesting. Why did you decide on two sites?"

One is hosted, which allows me to have content for which I've been compensated. Which I used to have, but most of my sources have dried up because of changes in Google's algorithms, and I haven't pursued other sources. The other is not hosted and seems to attract visitors that the hosted blog doesn't. So I maintain both.

message 21: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Miss Devorah: First of all... *waves* ...hiiii!!

May I ask what you did for compensation on your self-hosted blog? I've been told to look into this many-a-time but just haven't, well, looked into it yet haha!

Hugs,
Ann

message 22: by Devorah (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) Annie wrote: "@Miss Devorah: First of all... *waves* ...hiiii!!

May I ask what you did for compensation on your self-hosted blog? I've been told to look into this many-a-time but just haven't, well, looked into..."

They were basically sponsored blog posts. Some I had to write and get approved before posting, others were supplied content.

message 23: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 1 comments I blog but the site is also my book site alongside awful poetry (Vogon - only worse) also created a fake blog for my sci-fi series

message 24: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Miss Devorah: Ah, thank you!!

@Mr Philip: Fake blog, eh? Intriguing. Do tell...

message 25: by Michael (new)

Michael Fattorosi | 477 comments I did a website with a blog attached. Without a blog, Google isnt going to rank your site very high. Fresh creative content updated regularly on niche subjects will push a lot of organic traffic. I have a lot of clients that do millions of views every day on the Internet.

message 26: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) I came across this in the article and it makes no sense to me...

"Page Titles: Your page titles should contain the target keyword for your page (one word per page) and should be about 55-65 characters in length (spaces included)"

What Page Title are they talking about? A Page title on your website or a page title for a Blog Post? The numbers they use seem off and contradict one another.