We Are Unique discussion

Show us your uniqueness~Journals > Re-Joyce. If I were a pretty face I'd be a flower; if I were a brain I'd be Queen of the World. I'm not those.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dawn (Joyce_Dawn) | 42 comments What lament can be unique? Can my tears grow flowers I ask the rose & the sky
    If only I were a pretty face I'd be the flower of the ball, but if I were a brain, I'd become Queen of the World, a unique Royal, roiling the oceans of time, stirring the sediments, the dregs, and stirring the sentimental splashes that swimmers in my rainy reign would do for me on command.
    But I'm none of that. Just one of the drab-sad stragglers of sameness struggling to be unique without borrowings.
    They have given me bad advice: just "be yourself", but I know that's wrong because:

I met a cute little baby once who said, "Gaa, gaa, da, goo." I interpreted that to mean: "I don't know what I want to be when I grow up."
    I said, "Just be yourself."
    The baby said, "Bah, da-goo ma," which meant "I want to grow up to be a Princess."
    I said, "You're just a plain baby. You have to learn to speak and walk first."
    The baby cried and cried, "baaaaaaaaaaaaaaah." It seemed a plain cry as would be expected from a 6-month old.
    I said, "Before you can be a Princess, you must be able to at least speak."
    The baby said, "Well OK then. I can speak at least as well as a talking dog who goes into a bar to ask for a drink. So doesn't this make me unique?"
    Just then the Mother came along and she said, "I told you to stop talking -- it's not appropriate for your age. You're supposed to be an ordinary baby. An ordinary baby should be itself."
    I said, "Well, you do have to learn to walk."
    The baby said, "I don't want to walk. I want to run!"
    The Mother said, "You're a plain simple baby. You can't run, nor can you be a Princess because they don't allow Tyrants, Kings, Queens and Princesses in the world anymore. You're not that special. Now shut-up until you're a year old."
    The baby said, "Gaa gaa," and ran away.

message 2: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dawn (Joyce_Dawn) | 42 comments Ut oh. I thought I was making a good pun with Re-Joyce and now I see that the alluded word is spelled with an "i": rejoice. Well, OK then, I guess I'm unique again.

message 3: by Funky Fish (new)

Funky Fish (goodreadscompetitcroissant) Wow, I'm liking this journal-y thingy so far!

message 4: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dawn (Joyce_Dawn) | 42 comments Petitcroissant wrote: "Wow, I'm liking this journal-y thingy so far!"
    Thanks. It's hard to define oneself uniquely, and I'm not sure how to approach the writing of a journal, or diary or blog. And maybe it's too late to do such things, because I'm a very old Lady, and when I grew up there was no internet at all, nor even home computers. Now I'm embarrassed because I don't think I was ever a teenager. I think I was born old and boring.
    Now I'm embarrassed because everyone here seems to be so very young.
    I guess I could try a Journal but maybe more philosophical because I have no life. A daily sob would not be that interesting and probably I'm not going to be appointed Ambassador to anywhere.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I like phyilophical stuff. I think it sounds cool.

Since you said you're old I feel so young and full of ambition

message 6: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Gilbert | 59 comments Joyce, I suppose the way you dance around and flirt and dress would be what most people would think defines you as unique, but that can't be it, because lots of people can dance... And you yourself probably don't know who you are uniquely because everything is mostly subconscious -- isn't it? I mean, where do feelings come from; you don't just think them into existence. They pop-up from an invisible process. And some of it is based on false beliefs that were long ago buried.

message 7: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Gilbert | 59 comments Oh, I just noticed that your opening Message 1 is sort of poetic -- maybe you should write a poem...

message 8: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dawn (Joyce_Dawn) | 42 comments Yeah, maybe I'll write a poem. Could be uniquely me or maybe you'll duet me invisibly...

message 9: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dawn (Joyce_Dawn) | 42 comments Douglas wrote: "Oh, I just noticed that your opening Message 1 is sort of poetic -- maybe you should write a poem..."

Pretty Drops

If only I were a pretty face
I'd be the flower of the ball, but

if I were a brain, I'd
become Queen of the World, a

unique Royal, roiling the oceans of time,
stirring the sediments, the dregs, and

stirring the sentimental splashes
of swimmers in my rainy reign
who'd fall off love boards
in the surf, and
in the rain

message 10: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Gilbert | 59 comments On "Pretty Drops":
Wow this is super duper. I knew you could reign.

message 11: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dawn (Joyce_Dawn) | 42 comments So now I see I must die. There is nothing worth discussing, There is only darkness except for some flavors of ice cream that I might find. But I don't want only vanilla.

message 12: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dawn (Joyce_Dawn) | 42 comments He doesn't love me and so I'm dead.