Book Snails Book Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVED > What are you reading, August 2016?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1150 comments Mod
What are you reading, August 2016?

message 2: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey I'm reading The Zookeeper's Wife and Tender is the Night, and after them I'll be reading The Book Thief!

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Jones One Rainy Day in May (The Familiar, #1) by Mark Z. Danielewski Book #1 of The Familiar saga, which is supposed to be 20+ books long.

message 4: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Kelsey wrote: "I'm reading The Zookeeper's Wife and Tender is the Night, and after them I'll be reading The Book Thief!"

Tender is the Night is on my TBR and yes we'll all be reading The Book Thief with you very soon!

message 5: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Laura wrote: "One Rainy Day in May (The Familiar, #1) by Mark Z. Danielewski Book #1 of The Familiar saga, which is supposed to be 20+ books long."

Wow, Laura--that's stamina reading!

message 6: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments Finished:
1) Dark Triumph (Grave Mercy #2) by Robin LaFevers ***
2) Worlds by Joe Haldeman **

Working on Siren Song (Blood Singer, #2) by Cat Adams
Siren Song now...

My selections are pretty random ;p

message 7: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments I'm currently reading Shadow Land by Peter Straub. I'm enjoying it. I don't have a second book going, which I usually do. I have no idea what I'm going to read next.

message 8: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Laura wrote: "One Rainy Day in May (The Familiar, #1) by Mark Z. Danielewski Book #1 of The Familiar saga, which is supposed to be 20+ books long."

I checked my TBR and I have books 1-3 on my list!

message 9: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "Finished:
1) Dark Triumph (Grave Mercy #2) by Robin LaFevers ***
2) Worlds by Joe Haldeman **

Working on Siren Song (Blood Singer, #2) by Cat Adams
Siren Song now......"

Wow, StarMan, you're getting some reading done! Have you had time to start "The Book Thief"?

message 10: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (last edited Aug 02, 2016 08:40PM) (new)

Just Elise wrote: "I'm currently reading Shadow Land by Peter Straub. I'm enjoying it. I don't have a second book going, which I usually do. I have no idea what I'm going to read next."

How about "The Book Thief"? LOL ;-)

message 11: by Julie (last edited Aug 02, 2016 08:56PM) (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Trying to read two books at once. They are complete opposites but it keeps me going. I left reading for a while and I don't want to do that again! Plus now that I have started reading again, I have found some really cool friends that I would never have met online.....YOU GUYS!!!! I love our group! By the way, I won both of these books from the giveaways that GoodReads has every night. If you don't know about them and would like to know more, please just ask Allison or myself. :-)
Into the Carpathians A Journey Through the Heart and History of Central and Eastern Europe (Part 1 The Eastern Mountains) by Alan E. Sparks
The Island by Olivia Levez

message 12: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix I'm reading Hallucinationsby Oliver Sacks and The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. Hallucinations is about the way the brain works, and types of hallucinations in people who do not have mental illness. It's mildly interesting; not as riveting as I thought it would be.

The Forgotten Garden is kind of difficult for me to get into right now. The writer is a little bit more flowery in her descriptions than I prefer, and it jumps around in time so at first it was hard to stay with all the characters. I jut got to a part that was set in London in 1900, and I thought that part was very interesting, so I'm going to keep plugging away at it and maybe I'll be glad I did.

They're both due at the library Aug. 24, and I already renewed them twice before I got around to reading them, so I'm really going to try to finish them before I have to take them back! :)

I want to read The Nightingale next. I've heard it's a really good book.

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura Jones Allison wrote: "Laura wrote: "One Rainy Day in May (The Familiar, #1) by Mark Z. Danielewski Book #1 of The Familiar saga, which is supposed to be 20+ books long."

I checked my TBR and I have books 1-3 on my list!"

Book #4 is due out in Feb.

message 14: by Akhila (new)

Akhila (akhilaadhikari) | 2 comments Currently reading 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Brontë

message 15: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments Just Elise wrote: "I'm currently reading Shadow Land by Peter Straub. I'm enjoying it. I don't have a second book going, which I usually do. I have no idea what I'm going to read next."

What's your favorite Straub book so far?

Have you read any of the Straub + Stephen King books (The Talisman, Black House)?

message 16: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments Akhila wrote: "Currently reading 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Brontë"

I keep waiting for 'Wuthering Heights & Zombies' or 'Wuthering Heights & the Cthulhu' or one of those crazy mashups...

but let us know what you think of the original!

message 17: by Just Elise (last edited Aug 04, 2016 04:40AM) (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments Allison, I'll think about it. ;)

StarMan, this is only my second Straub book (I think), but I loved Ghost Story. I did read a lot of Stephen King when I was in jr. high, but my memory is awful and I couldn't tell you with any certainty whether I may have read any Straub-King books (I don't think I did though). I have a few more Straubs waiting on my shelf. I'll report back. ;)

Have you read his work? What's your favorite, if so?

message 18: by Akhila (new)

Akhila (akhilaadhikari) | 2 comments StarMan wrote: "Akhila wrote: "Currently reading 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Brontë"

I keep waiting for 'Wuthering Heights & Zombies' or 'Wuthering Heights & the Cthulhu' or one of those crazy mashups...

but le..."

StarMan, Yeah surely will do! I am liking it so far..

message 19: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments Finished a kid/YA book that was really good:

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper
Out of My Mind

Now, where is my elusive copy of The Book Thief? Uh oh, my teen reader friend seems to have eloped with it!

message 20: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) StarMan wrote: "Finished a kid/YA book that was really good:

Out of My Mind

Now, where is my elusive copy of The Book Thief? Uh oh, my teen reader friend seems t..."

I started reading my copy two nights ago and then went to a friend's house yesterday and told her about it. Somehow it is now with her and I have to wait until she is done! LOL - I told her I have until October to get it done so hurry! :-) I think I am going to love this book so much that I might as well just buy a copy and return the library check out.

message 21: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments Julie wrote: ...Somehow it is now with her and I have to wait until she is done!

How nice of you to let your friend steal borrow your book!

message 22: by Just Elise (last edited Aug 12, 2016 05:29PM) (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments I'd be horrified. I'm very protective of my books. ;)

That one does have me intrigued. I'll keep it in mind for my next book-shopping spree.

I'm reading Varney the Vampire, which is a penny dreadful. I've been meaning to read it for while, and I'm pretty impressed so far. For a cheapie publication that was intended for the lower classes and anyone seeking cheap thrills, the writing is far better than I would have expected. But it was the 19th century - they had higher standards then. ;) This is ridiculously long, though (evidently the entire series), so I may try to find individual issues (in ebooks, of course).

Also just starting The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Another one I've wanted to read for a long time. A challenge in a different group finally made me decide to start.

Shadow Land turned out to be an interesting enough story, but not great.

message 23: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments Just Elise wrote: "...I'm reading Varney the Vampire, which i..."

Elise, what's your favorite vampire novel so far?

I have several waiting to be read, including Varney the Vampire, The Hunger by Strieber, and others.

I liked the Thirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood, and Red Dice" series by Christopher Pike. (Books 1-4 were good or very good, Book 5 was wonky, though).

If you like the older V tales, The Vampyre and Other Tales of the Macabre looks interesting. Or The Penguin Book of Vampire Stories (600+ pages, includes Varney and about 30 other tales).

message 24: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments My favorite? Hmm. I think I'd have to say Dracula. I do love my classics. :) Christopher Moore's vampire series is a lot of fun, though some of his other books are higher on my favorites list.

I haven't read The Hunger, but I remember liking the movie (it's been ages since I've seen it). But I think that has more to do with the fact David Bowie was in it than it actually being a good movie. :)

Ooh, those look like some great collections. I've read some of those stories, but there are a lot I wasn't familiar with. (M. R. James wrote a vampire story?? I have to find that!)

Which other ones do you like, StarMan?

message 25: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments Just Elise wrote: "My favorite? Hmm. I think I'd have to say Dracula. I do love my classics. :) Christopher Moore's vampire series is a lot of fun..."

I'll check out Moore's books, thank you :) And I need to re-read Dracula, it's been years.

I thought these Vamp books were 3 or more stars:

The Society of S (Ethical Vampire, #1) by Susan Hubbard   Braced to Bite (Half-Blood Vampires, #1) by Serena Robar   The Season of Passage by Christopher Pike   Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger   Blood Memories (Vampire Memories, #1) by Barb Hendee   Evernight (Evernight, #1) by Claudia Gray

And here are some paranormal or horror-ish books (may or may not contain bloodsuckers) that are good:
Ultraviolet (Ultraviolet, #1) by R.J. Anderson   The Reapers are the Angels (Reapers, #1) by Alden Bell   The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey   Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White  

message 26: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments A lot of those sound really cool! Thanks, StarMan. :) I'm adding a bunch to my list.

I love Christopher Moore. My favorites by him are A Dirty Job and Practical Demonkeeping‎, one of which (I'm not sure which now) was the aforementioned lunatic bf-defeating book. ;) So I'm predisposed to adore his books, but even still, trying to be unbiased, I think they're worth checking out. :)

message 27: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments Thanks, Elise. I put A Dirty Job on my TBR list. I usually avoid extra-silly/out-there books, but that one looks fun! And congrats again on defeating the lunatic ex (I've had a couple of those myself).

A Dirty Job (Grim Reaper, #1) by Christopher Moore

message 28: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments Cool, StarMan :) I hope you enjoy it whenever you get to it. I don't usually go for silly, either, and my sense of humor is such that I don't find much mainstream humor very funny. But his humor is beautifully twisted. :)

Cheers to being rid of crazy exes. ;)

message 29: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Julie wrote: "Trying to read two books at once. They are complete opposites but it keeps me going. I left reading for a while and I don't want to do that again! Plus now that I have started reading again, I have..."

I think "The Island" is on my TBR!

message 30: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Jill wrote: "I'm reading Hallucinationsby Oliver Sacks and The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. Hallucinations is about the way the brain works, and types of hallucinations in people who do not have mental illn..."

"Hallucinations" sounds interesting to me. I'll have to look into "The Forgotten Garden."

message 31: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Akhila wrote: "Currently reading 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Brontë"

A classic I have yet to read!

message 32: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "Just Elise wrote: "I'm currently reading Shadow Land by Peter Straub. I'm enjoying it. I don't have a second book going, which I usually do. I have no idea what I'm goin..."

I want to read the King-Straub books! What's the best one to start with?

message 33: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "Akhila wrote: "Currently reading 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Brontë"

but le..."

LOL!!!

message 34: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "Finished a kid/YA book that was really good:

Out of My Mind

Now, where is my elusive copy of The Book Thief? Uh oh, my teen reader friend seems t..."

"Out of My Mind" looks pretty good, StarMan. Thanks for recommending it to me. Just added it to the TBR.

message 35: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Julie wrote: "StarMan wrote: "Finished a kid/YA book that was really good:

Out of My Mind

Now, where is my elusive copy of The Book Thief? Uh oh, my teen reade..."

Oh no, Julie! These reader friends seem to be the ultimate book thieves! LMBO...

message 36: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "Julie wrote: ...Somehow it is now with her and I have to wait until she is done!

How nice of you to let your friend steal borrow your book!"

Borrow...or steal, is right!

message 37: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Just Elise wrote: "I'd be horrified. I'm very protective of my books. ;)

That one does have me intrigued. I'll keep it in mind for my next book-shopping spree.

I'm reading Varney the Vampire, which i..."

What is the meaning behind the term "penny dreadful?" Just curious...because I want to watch the show.

message 38: by Just Elise (last edited Aug 17, 2016 02:28PM) (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments Allison, penny dreadfuls were publications in the 19th century that were printed cheaply and meant for the working classes, so were sold very cheaply (a penny - some were a half-penny). I've seen them called booklets and pamphlets. They were extremely popular. Some of them were horror-type storylines, and others were crime, adventure, gothic tales, etc., all "thriller" types. They tended to be sold in weekly editions, continuing the stories as serials.

The tv show doesn't take characters from any penny dreadfuls, but literary characters do abound.

More info: here and here.

message 39: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "Just Elise wrote: "My favorite? Hmm. I think I'd have to say Dracula. I do love my classics. :) Christopher Moore's vampire series is a lot of fun..."

I'll check out Mo..."

The Reapers are the Angels and The Girl with All the Gifts are now on my list.

message 40: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "Thanks, Elise. I put A Dirty Job on my TBR list. I usually avoid extra-silly/out-there books, but that one looks fun! And congrats again on defeating the lunatic ex (I've had a couple ..."

These books sound fun. I think we've ALL been there with crazy exes. I know I have!

message 41: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Just Elise wrote: "Cool, StarMan :) I hope you enjoy it whenever you get to it. I don't usually go for silly, either, and my sense of humor is such that I don't find much mainstream humor very funny. But his humor is..."

Cheers indeed! ;-)

message 42: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Just Elise wrote: "Allison, penny dreadfuls were publications in the 19th century that were printed cheaply and meant for the working classes, so were sold very cheaply (a penny - some were a half-penny). I've seen t..."

Thanks for the information, Elise!

message 43: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments Just Elise wrote: "Allison, penny dreadfuls were publications in the 19th century that were printed cheaply and meant for the working classes, so were sold very cheaply (a penny - some were a half-penny). I've seen t..."

Thanks for the info on the penny dreadfuls :) I guess those were the beginnings of what we we now call "mass market paperbacks"?

Penny Dreadful examples:

penny dreadful

Reminds me of something similar: the "dime western"
(modern term for Western-themed dime novels, which spanned the era of the 1860s—1900s, says Wikipedia).

Example:
dime western

Since paperbacks are now commonly $8.99 and $9.99 (new), I suppose we are now in the era of the "tenner" or the "ten buck book"?

message 44: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments Allison, you will not regret reading either of those books (Angels are the Reapers, The Girl With All the Gifts).

TGWATG is now a movie (opens 23 September 2016). The trailer looks good, but I much prefer the "movie" that the book already made in my head.

If you don't mind movie trailers spoiling your book-brain-movies:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4547056/

message 45: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments Allison wrote: "StarMan wrote: "Just Elise wrote: "I'm currently reading Shadow Land by Peter Straub. I'm enjoying it. I don't have a second book going, which I usually do. I have no id..."

Allison, I'd start with "The Talisman" (#1 in the trilogy)
The Talisman (The Talisman, #1) by Stephen King ...
but "Shadow Land" is highly rated as well.

Also consider "The Bachman Books" (4 stories published under Stephen King's old pseudonym). One of the stories ("Rage") is now out of print (because it involves a strangely prescient story of a school shooting, and such things are not popularly published in our modern world):
The Bachman Books by Richard Bachman

message 46: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments Interesting thought, StarMan, regarding penny dreadfuls being like mass-market paperbacks. They're cheaper than hardcovers, true. But the contents would be the same in either edition. Penny dreadfuls had no more expensive editions.

I guess I picture penny dreadfuls more like comic books than paperbacks. They were illustrated, but not nearly as much as comics, and they just had regular text to tell the story. Seeing them referred to as "pamphlets" makes me think that, and I read that they tended to have about 16 pages. I'm not sure where their evolution might have brought them. One would have had to collect them to get anything resembling a whole novel. The "dime westerns" look interesting, and with a similar principle.

Clive Barker did that a while back, with snippets of a story being included with some action figures, I think. Otherwise, I don't know of much out there that would be comparable. Comic books are the closest that come to mind.

message 47: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments Just Elise wrote: "Interesting thought, StarMan, regarding penny dreadfuls being like mass-market paperbacks. They're cheaper than hardcovers, true. But the contents would be the same in either edition. Penny dreadfu..."

That makes sense, Elise. I guess the penny dreadfuls were closer to modern comics than text-only paperbacks, or maybe somewhere in-between.

Here's a good site for more info, including photos:
http://www.bl.uk/romantics-and-victor...

message 48: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (arrow-through-my-reading-slump) I finished reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two last week and I'm now mainly reading The Devourers, along with some comics and listening to Dragonfly in Amber on audiobook (hint: if you're having a hard time getting through the Outlander books, try listening to the audiobooks! The narrator is phenomenal!)

message 49: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Shelby wrote: "I finished reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two last week and I'm now mainly reading The Devourers, along with some comics and listening to ..."

Hi Shelby,

Did you do a review on Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by chance? I know nothing about the book and am wondering as a fan of HP, if I should read it or will it ruin the original story for me. Thanks!!!

message 50: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (arrow-through-my-reading-slump) Julie wrote: "Shelby wrote: "I finished reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two last week and I'm now mainly reading The Devourers, along with some comics an..."

I haven't written my review yet.

I think that as long as you go into it with an open mind and low expectations, you'll enjoy it. Expect inconsistencies. But I am honestly sad that so many fans are so quick to dismiss it despite the fact that J.K. Rowling has repeatedly reminded everyone that she considers this story as part of HP canon.

But that's just me. I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was and adored the new characters introduced.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.