Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Easier to update pages

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gord (new)

Gord Beacock (maddoctor61) | 23 comments I'm adding my books to a database with a program called BookCollector. I generally refer to GoodReads for additional information and confirmation of the information I am adding. Very often, I find missing and occasionally incorrect data. I find it a pain to navigate to the forums, figure out where to post and go through the basics (author, title, ISBN etc) to start the post. Would it be possible to include an "Update Info" button on each page that I can click, and then just fill in my contribution? The submission would still go to the librarians for confirmation. My program has a "Submit to Core" button that I click after verifying the information for every book I enter. I could copy the info to GoodReads easily while I'm at it. Book covers are the worst, because I have to upload them to my account, figure out the address for it, then include it in my post.

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14557 comments Because this has to do with site functionality, it's not something librarians can help with. I suggest posting in the Feedback Group: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments Gord wrote: "I'm adding my books to a database with a program called BookCollector. I generally refer to GoodReads for additional information and confirmation of the information I am adding. Very often, I find ..."

I use BC, too.

I don't think GR would do what you're requesting, however. GR uses volunteers to update book records.

What you CAN do is to create a new thread for each book you need to have corrected and post that information. A librarian will then perform the update at that time.

You don't necessarily need to add the author/ISBN, etc. Just the name of the book (for the thread subject) and then post a link to the specific edition you are trying to have updated.

message 4: by Gord (new)

Gord Beacock (maddoctor61) | 23 comments The ISBN etc is needed, especially when I am adding, correcting, or improving the cover for that edition, since that data is not relevant to other versions. My scanner is right beside me when I enter the book, so it is easy to scan the book if there is no cover image available. Also, I often type in the blurb from inside the front dust jacket, if it doesn't match. That would be appropriate for that edition, but is described differently for other editions.