What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED!: mystery series [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jul 26, 2009 09:48AM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Hi--I'm looking for the name of an author--or even the titles of some of the books--from the "Stone Angel" series. Basically the Stone Angel is the english translation of the main character's name. His mother was a French Resistance fighter who met his father an American G.I. during WWII and the title character was born from that meeting. He lives and works as a P.I. mostly in France, altho he does travel back to the U.S. some.

I believe I read this series in the early 80's or late 90's.

Other than that, I don't remember a lot about the series.

message 2: by Melody (new)

Melody (runningtune) Ann - I don't know if you saw my answer in the other thread. It is http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...
Marvin H. Albert.

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

I checked him--and I don't think that's the books. There was a whole series of them, and from what I read on the books that had any description, that doesn't seem to be it.

message 4: by April Ann (last edited Jul 27, 2009 05:57AM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments L'ange de Pierre by Margaret Laurence

Publisher: Pierre Tisseyre (January 1, 1976)
ASIN: B002828TBU

message 5: by Melody (new)

Melody (runningtune) This is how I came up with Marvin Albert:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_A...
http://www.amazon.com/Stone-Angel-Mar...

Doesn't that sound like your description?

message 6: by April Ann (last edited Jul 27, 2009 06:50AM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments While one of those titles is "stone angel" I think the OP is looking for a series. I've only been able to come up with one title and it doesn't look like part of a series.

When was the story set?

message 7: by Melody (new)

Melody (runningtune) It is a series:

Novels in the Stone Angel Series, featuring Pete Sawyer:

The Pink Panther (1964) - Movie novelization/tie-in
The Don is Dead (1972)
The Dark Goddess (1978)
Stone Angel (1986)
Back in the Real World (1986)
Get Off at Babylon (1987)
Long Teeth (1987)
The Untouchables (1987) - Movie novelization
The Last Smile (1988)
The Midnight Sister (1989)
Bimbo Heaven (1990)
The Zig-Zag Man (1991)
The Riviera Contract (1992)

message 8: by April Ann (last edited Jul 27, 2009 08:32AM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Really? It's not showing up as a series in my database.

Maybe they are just not "in order" anyway, I did find this from fantastic fiction

About Marvin Albert
Marvin H. Albert, (Born in Philadelphia Pennsylvania) was a writer of mystery, crime and adventure novels including ones featuring Pete (Pierre-Ange [French: Stone Angel) Sawyer, a French-American private investigator living and working in France. He also wrote film novelizations (e.g., What's New, Pussy Cat?) and many other novels. Settings for his novels include France (where he lived for some time), Miami and the Old West.

Maybe the OP can look again? Cuz it looks like a match to me too. Perhaps two different series are getting "confused"?

fyi.. the translation for "stone angel" in French is "ange en pierre".

message 9: by Melody (last edited Jul 27, 2009 08:29AM) (new)

Melody (runningtune) I don't have a data base - just been looking at several peoples descriptions. Here is an excerpt from one in particular that refers to Ann's description:

(this is from Ann's question)His mother was a French Resistance fighter who met his father an American G.I. during WWII and the title character was born from that meeting. He lives and works as a P.I. mostly in France, altho he does travel back to the U.S. some.

Here's the excerpt from a blog about this series:

Today, I thought it would be fun to talk about the Stone Angel series, which I think consists of ten books, all of them first-person private-eye novels set in France, all of them recommended. The narrator of these cases is Pete Sawyer, whose French mother, a hero of the Resistance in WWII, sent her son to live with his American grandparents after the death of Sawyer's father. Sawyer grew up in Chicago but spent his summers in France, where he now lives. Albert also lived in France, and the local color in this series is really well done. Not quite as good as being there, but the next best thing.

Here is the link which is just one of many. http://billcrider.blogspot.com/2008/0...

Maybe it's not what Ann is looking for - but just sounds like it to me.

message 10: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

oohhh--yes, that is it. Thanks. I've been trying to find that series again for ages. I really enjoyed the series at that time and am hoping it stands the test of time well.