Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Workshop No New Posts > Does the cover matter? That is the NEW question...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Hello and happy Friday!!

₍˄·͈༝·͈˄₍˄·͈༝·͈˄( ͒ ु•·̫• ू ͒)˄·͈༝·͈˄₎˄·͈༝·͈˄₎

Just had to share that. Soooo freakin' cute!!!

Okay. New cover. May I pretty please get your opinions on which title looks better? Opaque or translucent?

Oodles of thanks and hugs,
Ann

description

description

message 2: by Ken (last edited Jul 29, 2016 07:59AM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Opaque. It's much easier to read. Or you might try a different color.

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Mr Ken: Dang, you're fast!! Thank you!!!

Here's a like button for ya: ♥
And a hug: (((HUG)))

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments I'd go for opaque too, it is easier to read and it has more impact.

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Huh. My eyes might be wonky, but I actually find the slightly translucent version easier to read. The glare of light off her arm sort of blends with the bright yellow, where the softer title doesn't. Note: I'm also looking at this on a little 6" phone screen, so the image is thumbnail size for me.

message 6: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 611 comments I like the clear one :)

message 7: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson (shoelessauthor) I like the translucent one better.

message 8: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Bottom one is softer on the eyes and fits better imho for a romance.

message 9: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
The solid one reminds me of nat-geo for some reason. I'm on team see-through as well.

message 10: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Jane, Christina, Marie, Joe, GG & Riley: Thank you!!!!

Team solid: 2
Team see-thru: 5 + me (و ˃̵ᴗ˂̵)و

I'm actually shocked! I thought I was just being weird again hahaha!!

Hugs,
Ann

message 11: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner I'd say translucent, and not just because it's a fun word to say.

message 12: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments I think the translucent one looks a little more polished.

message 13: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Mr Ben: *giggles*

@Mr Hash: Thank you, sir!

message 14: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Riley wrote: "The solid one reminds me of nat-geo for some reason. I'm on team see-through as well."

OMG! Now I can't unsee this.

message 15: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Christina wrote: "Riley wrote: "The solid one reminds me of nat-geo for some reason. I'm on team see-through as well."

OMG! Now I can't unsee this."

I'm changing the image to a cheetah.

message 16: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments The solid is easier to read, but has a documentary aura to it.
"Broken Heart - Impact of unstable online relationships in the 21st century"

The second version is more like a fiction title.

message 17: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner Annie wrote: "Christina wrote: "Riley wrote: "The solid one reminds me of nat-geo for some reason. I'm on team see-through as well."

OMG! Now I can't unsee this."

I'm changing the image to a cheetah."

I'm going to be mad at you if you don't. #cheetahgirls

message 18: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments Annie wrote: "I'm changing the image to a cheetah."

No need to be so drastic. Just change the woman to an obviously African one and you are set. :)

message 19: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Ben wrote: "I'm going to be mad at you if you don't. "

But...but...*sigh**changes cover**shrugs*...okay.

Zoltán wrote: "Annie wrote: "I'm changing the image to a cheetah."

No need to be so drastic. Just change the woman to an obviously African one and you are set. :)"

*blank stare**backs away slowly**pretends I don't know you* ^_~

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 973 comments Hi Annie!! I find the bottom one easier to read. What is your favorite color? I was thinking something different than orange.

message 21: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (last edited Jul 29, 2016 11:01AM) (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4353 comments Mod
I like the second one better. L'il Vonnegut agrees.

message 22: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) That settles it: I'm right and everybody else is wrong. That's usually how it works.

message 23: by Annie (last edited Jul 29, 2016 11:11AM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Miss Sue: Much appreciated, ma'am!! As for yellow, it's actually my least favorite color ever. But after going through the entire rainbow, I kept coming back to it. Sooo, yeah...that's staying... LOL

@Mr Dwayne: Thank you and Vonnegut too!! He's a reliable little bugger, eh? ^_~

EDIT: LMAO, Mr Ken! I actually picked opaque too. But something always felt "off" about it. So, here I am, changing my mind AGAIN *smirks*

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 973 comments Annie, It's not just a woman's right to change her mind, it's a writer's right to change their mind. : )

message 25: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Miss Sue: Truth.

@Monte: Thank you very much! And thank you for quoting the kitties *blushes* They're sooo adorable!!

message 26: by Tony (new)

Tony Blenman | 94 comments I like exhibit #1. It commands attention.

message 27: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Hellstorm (aehellstorm) | 196 comments The translucent title is better, since it doesn't stand out and take too much away from the cover image. The opaque 'screams' at the reader and you miss the image for several seconds because of the title. It also looks very documentary stylish imho. :-)

message 28: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Tony & AE: I really appreciate the feedback!! Hmm...

Team solid: 3
Team see-thru: 13

Translucent, it is! Thank you, everyone!! You guys (and girls) the most awesomest ever!!!

Big, appreciative group hugs,
Ann

message 29: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Okay, I reckon no one's gonna look at this anymore hahaha but I'd feel like a knob making a new thread sooo...

*shrugs*

Semi-related question: Does when and how you change a cover matter? Like, should it be announced? Should the date coincide with something else? Or do you just do it whenever?

Hugs,
Ann

message 30: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle Costa | 62 comments Ann: regarding your transparent Versus translucent question, I think that the translucent would be easier to read with a little bit of shadowing. Just a thought.

message 31: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Miss Annabelle: Oh, yes. Might have to try that out. Thank you!

message 32: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Hellstorm (aehellstorm) | 196 comments Annie, I changed the cover to 'Lost' without any big announcements, but I guess making a special event of the occasion depends a little bit on how many would be interested of it. If you have a larger fan base you could definitely make an event out of it. Your fans would probably think it fun. :-) Or if you don't have a fan base, you might find people who'd be interested in your book thanks to your new cover. :-)

message 33: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Miss AE: Good - no, great! - points!! Thank you so much!!!

I thought of doing a 99cent promo for the day just to give it a ranking boost again. But a part of me wants to see if the new cover affects sales at all. Hmm... *ponders options*

Big hugs,
Ann

message 34: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Hellstorm (aehellstorm) | 196 comments 99-cent-promo could definitely give it a boost. You could start with that one-day-event and see if the cover-change gives the sales impact both during and after the sale. And you're welcome. :-) Mind, I've never done a promotion like that with a cover change, so my opinions are just hypothetical. :-D

message 35: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Miss AE: I'm a reckless experimenter, so untested hypotheses are my fuel ^_~ I appreciate the ideas!!

#MadScientist #MightBlowUpTheLab

message 36: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I just changed the cover to one of my books, and it hasn't done anything for sales, but it does give me the satisfaction of seeing the new cover everywhere. Sort of a boost to morale.

message 37: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Mr Ken: I'm happy you're happy. I dig your new cover! But you already knew that ^_~

message 38: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I've only ever changed the covers in one series and kind of did a 'relaunch' but that was also because I was finally getting them out in paperback. I'm sure I ran some sort of promo at the time because everything is an excuse to run a promo for me. ;P

We're kind of doing that with Riley's new covers. He's written a blog post and will be doing a freebie this weekend on the first book, but no, I don't think you necessarily have to do a promo or even make a big deal out of it.

message 39: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Miss Christina: Thank you so much for sharing!

Hmm. I might do a 99cent thing for the day then. Meh. Can't hurt, right?

Hugs,
Ann

P.S. - And yes, I know how much you love a good promo ^_~

message 40: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Annie wrote: "Semi-related question: Does when and how you change a cover matter? Like, should it be announced? Should the date coincide with something else? Or do you just do it whenever?"

Generally, if I have a book out about a year and I'm not seeing the sales on it I'd like, I will try changing a few things, including the cover. I don't announce it nor do I coincide any dates. I have also changed covers if I feel I have a better, more appealing concept in mind.

message 41: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Monte wrote: "The opaque version makes it look like something that was made in Microsoft Paint. "

I love Microsoft Paint! But, I did get Gimp recently and am trying to learn to use it.

message 42: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Mr Dwayne: Thank you, good sir! I think I'm gonna do it Friday :)

Hugs,
Ann

message 43: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments Somehow I missed your thread until now. Can I say neither? :D

The translucent is better, IMO. The reason for my "neither" answer is that for me, the solid yellow clashes a little too much and the translucent is just a little too translucent.

message 44: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Mr Thomas: Of course you can say neither. I even had another gentleman prefer my current cover more. But, ummm, it's "updates publishing" in KDP already...

*cue ominous music*

Nah, seriously, I didn't even like the translucent at first. And thought it was too see-thru too. Then it grew on me. Like fungus.

Thanks so much!!!

Hugs,
Ann

message 45: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Thomai: Thanks so much!!

Funny thing, eh? This was the first font. That I totally disliked. Then went through a bazillion alternatives (ALL of which were more flowing and much better suited to Romance). Actually chose a completely different font. And then....

Ended up right at square one again LMAO!!

And thank you! *blushes* I love the author name font too!!

Hugs,
Ann

message 46: by Heather (new)

Heather Weber | 23 comments I'd pick up the translucent, but it's a cool concept either way. ")

message 47: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Heather: Yesss! *victorious fist pump* I did end up going with translucent. Thank you so much!!

@Thomai: Ikr? I always do that hahaha...haha...ha...ugh. ^_~

Hugs,
Ann

message 48: by Annie (last edited Aug 10, 2016 01:33PM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Hey, guys!

I have a follow-up question to ask you wonderful peeps:

Has anyone found that a new cover... *grins sheepishly* ...adversely affects their sales?

Thanks a buncharoos!!!

♬° ✧❥✧¸.•*¨*✧♡✧ ⒽⓤⒼ ✧♡✧*¨*•.¸✧❥✧ °♬

Ann

message 49: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Sales. Sales. What are these "sales" you speak of?

message 50: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Dwayne wrote: "Sales. Sales. What are these "sales" you speak of?"

I think it's one of those mythical things, like unicorns. You hear a lot about them, but you hardly ever see one.

« previous 1