Old Souls Book Club discussion

Welcome! > What's going on in your life?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Saiisha (last edited Jul 28, 2016 08:12AM) (new)

Saiisha | 544 comments Mod
Here's what's going on in mine this week...

I have a beautiful life in the forest, in my little nest, surrounded by birds, butterflies and bees, waking up and walking along the river, working while looking out the window, making a living while learning how and what I want to grow and evolve into, and having all day to practice peace, presence and purpose…

The reality? Well, I do live that vision that I just described!!!

BUT –

In addition to birds and butterflies, I also have a beaver family who comes over to snack on my peach, chestnut and maple trees (pretty soon, I won’t have any left!), uses my pond as their refrigerator and my labyrinth as their nap-time quarters, and I don’t have enough money in all the world to put up the kind of fencing I need…

And the bees I so kindly invite have stingers on their other ends, and I just found out “accidentally” that I might be allergic to them, as well as poison ivy, and I don’t have health insurance (I know, I know, I’m researching them…)

And the solitude of my surroundings, as stunningly beautiful as they might be, can make one lonely and worrisome when there’s a storm raging outside and 3 fallen trees across the driveway, and wondering if the next one would fall on my roof, a roof which needs new tiles, but I think (hope) will last for another year or so…

Yes, all of these are surmountable problems, but the point is that I need to surmount them. Sigh!

Just wanted to share... if you want to read the rest of the story, here it is: http://www.nestintheforest.com/messy-...

But I also want to hear what's going on in your life? I hope all good things :)

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisg11) | 27 comments In my life this week, my work is very busy, we are gearing up for the fall open enrollment period, I work in insurance and manage a very large department of people. I've enjoyed keeping a commitment to be home by 6:00 and spending time with family and watching nature in my yard- noisy beautiful birds, including quails with their babies, robins, a humming bird, geese overhead and butterflies.

I've enjoyed our crazy weather in the 100s cooled down a bit by several storms this week. One storm yesterday brought nearly an inch of rain in 30 minutes along with quarter size hail that cleaned trees and bruised my garden a bit. But all is resilient.

Saiisha, your space sounds enchanted.

message 3: by Saiisha (new)

Kris wrote: "In my life this week, my work is very busy, we are gearing up for the fall open enrollment period, I work in insurance and manage a very large department of people. I've enjoyed keeping a commitmen..."

I love the last sentence in your experience Kris - "But all is resilient" which is the lesson I'm learning for myself in the last couple of weeks, that I too am resilient!

So happy to hear that you made a commitment to be home by 6pm to enjoy time with your family, watching nature, despite a busy job! Your quail babies, robins, hummingbirds and butterflies sound like a beautiful extended family to be spending your time with :)

That's how I feel here at my nest, that I'm just getting to share space with all the exquisite life that goes on around here. I'm keeping an eye on a box turtle that has chosen the bottom of my kiwi hedge to make a nest for its eggs, a little wren made a tiny nest in the eaves of my porch roof that I get to watch as I sip my coffee in the mornings, two juvenile bald eagles from a successful hatching in one of the trees behind me circle the skies above - always together, and I'm just coming in from watching
a string of snakes chasing each other's tails that I only happened to catch because I heard a loud rustling that I thought was some deer, but turned out to be snakes at play! It really is an enchanting world, and I'm so honored and humbled to be allowed to be part of their world :)

message 4: by Lyle (new)

Lyle Hutchins Lyle Hutchins
Writing my third book a compairative religion novel.And being pleased with second book reviews. Also shopping for a new home(hopefully a ranch in the country).

message 5: by Saiisha (new)

Lyle wrote: "Lyle Hutchins
Writing my third book a compairative religion novel.And being pleased with second book reviews. Also shopping for a new home(hopefully a ranch in the country)."

Congratulations Lyle! Seems like a lively time in your life!!

message 6: by Danny (new)

Danny I have a very long and not so pleasant of a story. However I am not going to get into the details, ill give you some basics. I was paralyzed when I was 22. Lost my whole world, lost who I was and who I thought I was going to be. I had to completely start over and learn to live life a completely different way. I struggled a lot ( physically and mentally) to deal with the new exsistents. It was a long hard road but I am now at a point where I have found things I love to do and life is good again. One of the things I found I could do that I never before took any interest in was reading. I just began to pick up books and get lost in them this year. I never understood the power of books. The first book I read was "into the wild" by Jon Kauker. I laughed, I cried, I felt so many emotions and felt as though I was on the journey myself. I became immediately hooked and read " into thin air" same author. There's a lot of things I can't do in this life anymore, but books have a way of coming so close to taking you to places, more so than any movie or tv show could. I find reading extremely rewarding. I also believe its something that I absolutely needed to find peace of mind. I'm also figuring out who I am for the first time and its not all pretty. When you have all the time in the world for reflection and you realize that maybe you don't like the person you are. Tough pill to swallow. But it has given me an opportunity to change and be better. So everyday I try to be better and grow. Love, empathy, compassion, kindness, displine, truth and above all to remove ego. The latter being the most difficult to achieve .

message 7: by Saiisha (new)

Danny wrote: "I have a very long and not so pleasant of a story. However I am not going to get into the details, ill give you some basics. I was paralyzed when I was 22. Lost my whole world, lost who I was and w..."

Wow, what a brave life you lead Danny!!! To be able to undergo all that you did - at such a young age - and come out to find meaning and reward is incredibly courageous! And still trying to be better, change, and evolve is absolutely inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing your story!!

message 8: by Danny (new)

Danny thank you for the kind words

message 9: by Taylor (new)

Taylor O'Connor | 4 comments In the middle of writing a book of my own actually. And while I'm a researcher and writer in the NGO sector, I have found that writing a book to be quite a task. I've had to shift my writing style from report writing style like i'm used to, more to storytelling style which I think is more deep and engaging.

My inspiration is that having worked as a professional peacebuilder in the NGO sector for nearly ten years now I recognize the power that regular people have to change the world. Often people have the motivation but sometimes they just need a little help and support to find meaningful and unique ways they can make a difference in the world around them. I hope the stories and lessons i have from my experiences will be helpful for people.

It's a slow process, a side project from my own work. And so in the meantime I hope that engaging in groups like this will keep me energized and give me inspiration (via good books).

I just joined good reads and am happy to explore and learn from groups like this. Thanks for the opportunity.

message 10: by Dewin (new)

Dewin Anguas Barnette | 37 comments Great to hear from you, Taylor! Good luck with your book! I’m sure you will learn a lot about yourself through the process. Enjoy the ride!!

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul Graham | 2 comments Continuing my film studies (beginning classes on writing for one hour drama), being obsessed with German philosophy, canvassing for a candidate in an upcoming provincial election, and planning a hiking expedition to New England.

message 12: by Taylor (new)

Taylor O'Connor | 4 comments Dewin wrote: "Great to hear from you, Taylor! Good luck with your book! I’m sure you will learn a lot about yourself through the process. Enjoy the ride!!"

Thanks Dewin, yea, it has been a great process, and continues to be so. :)

message 13: by Khandria (last edited Nov 14, 2018 12:49PM) (new)

Khandria (khandriachdloe) | 6 comments Dari (my husband ) and I live on an organic farm in North Carolina USA . We eat from the fields picking fresh fruits and working . We are about to go to India to meditate in the atmosphere of love and devotion that God men radiate we will be gone and off line Nov 19- DEC 27.

WE are initiates of Baba Gurindeer Singh ji and enjoy associating with Vipassana yogis as well . We are divine lovers ( Bakhti yogis and will add books on love for God / Divine Romance as a path to realizing God to the book shelves of this group (if not already there )

We are happy to join this group and associate with souls who are associating with and merging in their source .
🙏💖
Kandi & Dari

message 14: by Saiisha (new)

Khandria wrote: "Dari (my husband ) and I live on an organic farm in North Carolina USA . We eat from the fields picking fresh fruits and working . We are about to go to India to meditate in the atmosphere of love ..."

What a beautiful life you lead Kandi and Dari! Thank you for joining, and we look forward to your book recommendations :)

I hope you have a wonderful trip to India!!

message 15: by Khandria (new)

Khandria (khandriachdloe) | 6 comments Thank you Saiisha . We dont know what we would do without being able to chat with souls who are on the brink of mukti

We will soak up as much love and light from our Guru as we can and comeback to share that atmosphere with you 😉👍

message 16: by Khandria (last edited Dec 25, 2018 08:05PM) (new)

Khandria (khandriachdloe) | 6 comments Just got back havent slept in 48 hours (woozy from lack of sleep) but wanted to tell you that Its good that you think of us and that we got proof that the holy spirit mentioned in the bible is the sound that you can hear when its really quiet and/or you have ear plugs in and there's this kind or wavy undulating sort of soft sweet soothing renewing replenishing sound you hear . Its not the same thing as
Tinnitus http://www.betterhearing.org/hearingp... although some people who can hear this "holy Spirit " better than others are diagnosed as having tinninus.

Any way there's this spiritual teacher in India who teaches how to hear and benefit from this sound. Which he says is the creative force that created the universe and which sustains it and all of us and which human beings have the capacity to hear and benefit from because we human beings are like rays or emanations of this creative force it is like our parent , companion , guide , source of energy , goodness , strength , healing , growth . He said since it is creative energy when we listen to it it enhances our it enhances our creative power and that it is nourishing . It is a non caloric source of energy and that taking time to listen to it daily is better than drinking energy drinks.

There is a book about thishttp://www.bahaistudies.net/asma/path... . I just wanted you to be aware that there is a power in you . In your head that is your friend and the more still and pure you and teh more you believe in and seek it are the better you can hear it and it will help you keep you mind pure and clean in a dark dirty world . It pleasant , blissful , restorative and I believe jesus spoke of it when he said:

John 3:8 King James Version (KJV)
The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Well my eyes are closing and my head nodding so Im going to go to sleep 🙂

Good night ! 😊🙏 Kandi and Dari

message 17: by RbbieFrah (new)

RbbieFrah | 4 comments Saiisha wrote: "Here's what's going on in mine this week...

I have a beautiful life in the forest, in my little nest, surrounded by birds, butterflies and bees, waking up and walking along the river, working whi..."

Hi Saiisha ,
I know the beavers were eating your tree 2.5 years ago but maybe its not too late to tell you that teh way farmers stop beavers dear and rabbits from gnawing on trees is to wrap the trunks loosely with "chicken wire" or "hardware cloth " ...it takes only a little to wrap a tree and is much more effective and cheaper that a fence.

Ill check out your link later

meanwhile if you have any issues on your farm/garden message em and I'll advise you

Namaste JI

message 18: by Dsidi (new)

Dsidi Lights (dsidilights) | 2 comments hello all-

glad to join old souls book club.

i'm new to goodreads and look forward to meeting interesting and thought-provoking people. i don't do social media--no facebook, twitter, instagram, etc. so goodreads will be a creative outlet to the virtual world.

currently i am reading many new thought authors: emmet fox, joseph murphy, florence scovel shinn, emma curtis hopkins, among other metaphysical writers. i also have rumi, ACIM, the Bible, upanishads, tao te ching, and a few other books on the shelf next to my desk that i read from in the mornings. i try to begin each day in the stillness of prayer & meditation. it's the single most important practice to relieve me from the bondage of self, it has loosened my identification with the duality of mind.

i like to work with my hands. the tangible creation of meals, cabinets, home renovations, etc. appeals as the yin to the spiritual yang. it balances me out and keeps my feet on the ground when i could get lost with my head in the clouds.

i listen to music daily. spent summer of '92 hitchhiking and following the dead. saw stevie ray's last show at alpine valley the night he died in helicopter crash. have gone to many music fests at the spirit of the suwannee music park. when not listening to pandora while working i'm usually listening to an audiobook or speaker on youtube. adyashanti emits Truth.

i'll close with a poem:

I believe kindness and sincerity go a long way.
The world is full of selfishness and phonies.
It’s refreshing to be in the company
of genuine and generous people.

I believe compassion for
the suffering and less fortunate
leads to a humility and grace
that can’t be disturbed by circumstance,
and in turn can inspire
those lacking sufficient strength.

I believe intelligence
and a natural curiosity
make life an adventure.
That a sense of humor
is required for admission.

I believe in passions.
In things larger than us
that call us to follow
in languages that not
everyone can understand.

I believe it takes guts and courage
to travel the road less walked.

namaste,
DL

message 19: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisg11) | 27 comments Dsidi wrote: "hello all-

glad to join old souls book club.

i'm new to goodreads and look forward to meeting interesting and thought-provoking people. i don't do social media--no facebook, twitter, instagram, e..."

Welcome Dsidi. I really enjoyed reading your post.

RECLAIM YOUR GODHOOD  | 3 comments Hi My Dear Sweet Souls,
Today we will talk about consciousness . God is PURE consciousness. PURE consciousness is unchanging , eternal , perfect , all joy , all bliss , knowledge and love . Another name for consciousness is "Spirit" . It is the "Word" (of John 1:1) that made the whole creation.

This creation was made by making an OPPOSITE for consciousness which we will call UNconsciousness. Another name for UNconsciousness is "matter " . All life on earth is a combination of spirit and matter (consciousness and unconsciousness) The more consciousness a life from has the higher it is on the scale of evolution . Plants have less than insects and reptiles , Birds have more than insects and reptiles , 4 legged mammals and aquatic mammals have more than birds, humans have more than 4 legged mammals , spiritual humans (who are vegetarian, don't take drugs , lead pure moral lives and meditate on pure consciousness )have more than average humans and humans who have purified their consciousness of all individuality and merged it in God have the most .

Every thing we see, think , say and do in life either increases or decreases the quantity of consciousness we possess. Lust decreases it . Being pure and chaste increases it . Being angry and violent decreases it . Being loving and helpful increases it . Being greedy decreases it . Being charitable increase it . Being attached to material possessions and people decreases it Being attached to the spirit increases it .Being egotistical decreases it . Being humble increases it .

This is a science --not a religion- it can be adopted as an aid to be a better member of what ever religion one belongs to . It is the science of consciousness .

It is the study of becoming more and more consciousness --hence more and more alive -- more and more vibrant more and more happy ( see the fruits of the spirit in the bible ).

Like all sciences it is taught by a graduate who has attained a high degree in the field. Jesus taught his disciples to listen to the spirit: " John 3:8 King James Version (KJV)
" The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit."

However after Jesus' passing this science was lost and symbolic rituals ( such as baptism with water-which is unconscious- were substituted-for daily bathing our soul in the spirit ) how ever there remain on earth graduates who still teach the original teachings and show us how to increase our level of consciousness so that we can be as happy , loving and alive as possible.