Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

General Chat > Charles Todd, inspector Ian Rutledge

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 608 comments I told myself that I wasn't going to read any more in this series and here I am reading #6! First few pages and I am doubting the accuracy of the description of a hay BALE in the barn. Would a dale farmer have had a hay baler that produced something one could sit on back in 1919?

message 2: by Judith (new)

Judith | 559 comments I have never heard of this series and I will look out for it, I am always ready to find new authors. Good luck with your query, I have to admit I haven't a clue.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 608 comments It's #7 that I am on ... Can't even count. This is a series that you need to read in order because he will refer back to previous incidents. The trouble is that the endings are not very good.

message 4: by Judith (new)

Judith | 559 comments I do like to read series in order, I have put the author on my library list, thank you for the information.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen | 17 comments I enjoyed that series, but I have to say I got a bit tired of Hamish.

message 6: by jeff (new)

jeff (knightjeff) | 2 comments Quite right. Bales were stooked,tall witches hat, back then.

message 7: by David (new)

David Gooch | 4090 comments Mod
The automatic hay baler was invented by Innes in 1936. Prior to that it was In 1872 a reaper that used a knotter device to bundle and bind hay was invented by Charles Withington; this was commercialized in 1874 by Cyrus McCormick.

Don't know if that helps Beth. Depends on description in the book I suppose.

message 8: by Alice (new)

Alice | 17 comments I love this series. Love Bess Crawford series even more. Both series by Charles Todd. Look forward to each new book.

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 608 comments Yes I think I will try the bess Crawford books because these little things (well the titanic burials was a big mistakes !) are just irritating. And I don't see that in 1919 he could have "sat down on a bale of hay" as the character did on page 4!

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments I'm also a Charles Todd fan and dont pay as much attention to the details, just enjoy the story.

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 608 comments I agree, Susan, that the story line is good right up to the ending and then I have found the solution to the mystery is just pulled out of thin air.

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 148 comments I hadn't thought of it that way but I'll make it a point with his next book. I'm surprised it's never been picked up as a tv series.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) I discovered this author (authors) when reading a monthly pick on this site. Loved the character, the settings, dialogue, everything and have read more or the series. Also love his Bess Crawford series as well.

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 608 comments I see there is a new Bess Crawford for release on August

message 15: by Joan (new)

Joan (joansapper) | 8 comments Susan wrote: "I'm also a Charles Todd fan and dont pay as much attention to the details, just enjoy the story."
I have all the books (most bought second hand) and although I love the characters and the setting, some of the research is ropey to say the least, which annoys the heck out of me. And some of the stories don't stand up to scrutiny unfortunately. But... Rutledge is such a wonderful character that I can forgive most of the mistakes ;) I have the last book as an e-book and its much harder to read in that format. I find myself having to go back several pages to check details etc.

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 608 comments Have just ordered the next Ian Rutledge book from the library. As he went along, the author gets better at developing the plots so I will keep going in the series until either the historical misrepresentation annoys me to point of no return or I get tired of Hamish.

I also listen at night to The bess Crawford series by the same author and I do like them better although again, I think the author is giving far more authority and recognition to the nursing profession than they would have had in WW I.