Our Shared Shelf discussion

Multilanguage Index > Transcription & Translation in OSS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Aug 22, 2016 01:09AM) (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
description
IMPORTANT UPDATE
Please send your finished assignments and related queries to the following email address: osstranslations at gmail dot com (at=@, dot= . but bots won't be able to flood our inbox!!). Please refrain from addressing this email address for any other sort of enquiries!! Thanks!!

Hello, everybody! :)

As some of you will remember, for a while we have been toying with the idea of having a translation service of sorts (hehe, pretentious much? I don't care!) here at OSS. That is, our wish is for members coming from all parts of the world to be able to enjoy each and every video we post here of the interviews and meetings that Emma has with our chosen authors. It's taken us a while because transcriptions aren't exactly a quick task and blahblah...but we're proud to really get the thing going starting from today!!

We need you to transcribe, proofread and translate!

There are some rules that we would like to follow as much as possible, namely:

A compulsory prerequisite is that all our translators belong to Our Shared Shelf. Therefore, we welcome applications from friends of members and/or people answering to members' efforts to spread the word online, however they will need to become part of OSS in order for us to take their applications into consideration.

1) Before offering to translate a certain assignment, please consider whether you are really prepared to do it successfully. Because this is volunteering, we are not going to ask you to send your CV, LOL. That being said, it is also important that whoever who is in charge of the translation/transcription actually has the necessary set of skills to complete the task.

2) Deadlines!! Uhhh, to be perfectly honest we're still figuring the whole thing out, haha. Again, this is volunteering. However, it would be great if you could commit to deliver a translation/transcription while it is still relevant. ;) Word of advice to those of you who would like to transcribe: IT TAKES TIME! LOL, sorry for the caps but yeah.

3) Credit! We may not be able to offer up these as paid assignments, but we do care about our helpers getting due credit if they so wish. If you are comfortable with your name being shared here, then we are more than happy to mention it. :)

4) Think you have what it takes? Yay! Then send me a private message and let me know that you want to be in charge of the transcription/translation into [insert language], and why do you think you would be the right person to do it. :) As long as you meet the minimum requirements, this will be on a first come, first serve basis. Large assignments could also be divided between two or more members. After all, our aim is to make all these contents available for everybody ASAP.

I think I will leave this thread open for a while, just in case y'all need to ask anything. Thanks a lot in advance for your kind help!! You people keep this going. :)

Ana

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine Periña | 67 comments Thanks Ana! This is a brilliant idea of yours as well as the moderators to keep everyone in touch of the discussion! And I appreciate your transcription on the video conversation of Emma Watson & Caitlin Moran because honestly, when I first saw the video, I have a hard time to understand not the language but their accent! Lol.

message 3: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

To be honest, in this occasion we gotta thank a very special friend and former member of the admin team for the transcriptions. I'm unsure whether she would want to have her name here so I will not say it, but yeah, all credit goes to her on that. :)

Everything to get our voice stronger!!

message 4: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Echevarría | 29 comments I would love to help! I am a translator and editor for Larousse Mexico and an English major. I'm available and am good with deadlines :D

message 5: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Carolina wrote: "I would love to help! I am a translator and editor for Larousse Mexico and an English major. I'm available and am good with deadlines :D"

Carolina, you've got a private message! :)

message 6: by love hurts (new)

love hurts  | 24 comments I would love to Help. I was born in America But my family is from Pakistan. I speak fluent English as Well as fluent Urdu, and Punjabi :)

message 7: by Leire (last edited Aug 11, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Leire Alkorta | 2 comments I would love to help! I'm Spanish, from Spain, and love to write just about anything. I have a bilingual blog in case you want to see any previous work. https://lekadietetika.wordpress.com

message 8: by Cris (last edited Sep 14, 2016 10:13AM) (new)

Cris (crisreads) | 9 comments If you're putting together a Spanish team, count me in. I'm always looking for cool projects to include in my portfolio. I'm a bilingual/bicultural Chilean American. Native speaker plus one of my degrees is in Spanish language & literature.

message 9: by Nele (new)

Nele (neltjuhv) | 4 comments Hi, I'd love to help. I speak Dutch (mother tongue), French, English, German and Spanish fluently, and a bit of Italian and Portuguese. I have a masters degree in interpretation and translation, so I'm always up for some more practice.

message 10: by Iván (new)

Iván Viñas | 25 comments Maybe, you have too many spanish transltators already, but I translate movies and tv shows for dubbing and subtitles, so it's something I have experience with. I'd be happy to help. (I never found where to send a private message.)

message 11: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Hey folks! On my phone right now but I am SO excited to see all these messages. I'm talking excited as in a little girl on Christmas morning. As soon as I am home I will reply to your messages! Ahhhh you're wonderful.

message 12: by Alma (new)

Alma | 1 comments count me in for Spanish/English as well (unless you've got too many...)! :D

message 13: by Bizzare_a (new)

Bizzare_a | 3 comments I would love to translate Emma's videos and interviews into Chinese! I've translating English into Chinese for a while now like comic books and videos voluntarily online and I'm sure I can do great! I am also studying in the US! But I am a bit worried about the time that I need to spend on this since I am going to college soon and I'm not sure about my workload but I definitely want to join!

message 14: by Link (new)

Link Dang | 1 comments I would love to translate content here to Vietnamese as I am a Vietnames currently living in Australia. Im very fluent in both Vietnamese and English as well as translating as one of my strength is literature. I really want to help. Cheers, Link.

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna Aresi (anjechka) | 1 comments Hi I am fluent in Italian and English and could help out with transcribing (maybe splitting sections of longer pieces) and translating into Italian. I have a Ph.D. in Italian Studies from Brown University and currently work as a free-lance translator and for the translation journal Asymptote. Let me know!

message 16: by Christiana (new)

Christiana (nana-reads) | 2 comments Hello, I'm an English Major from Cyprus! I'm fluent in Greek, English and French. I'm good with deadlines and I'd love to help however I can! :)

message 17: by Camille (new)

Camille (thefrenchveg) | 3 comments Hi, I'm studying translation! French is my mother tongue and I speak fluent English, I would love to contribute! ;)

message 18: by Selin (new)

Selin (selin_kandemir) | 5 comments Hi Ana, I just sent you a pm. French is my mother tongue, and I would be happy to contribute.

Kind regards,
Selin.

message 19: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Hello everybody! Going through all your messages right now, still overwhelmed with gratefulness and excitement. Those of you offering to translate into less common languages are getting an answer earlier than the rest because there isn't anybody else to do your language pair for now! For the rest of you, particularly those willing to translate into Spanish/Dutch/French, I need to find the way to coordinate you all, so my apologies for the delayed answers. However, I am reading each and every email and will catch up soon.

Before I go back to my inbox...

description

message 20: by Leire (new)

Leire Alkorta | 2 comments I could translate into Euskera/Basque as well, but i doubt there's many people that speak it. (we're a very limited community)

message 21: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Leire wrote: "I could translate into Euskera/Basque as well, but i doubt there's many people that speak it. (we're a very limited community)"

¿...Euskera? Ahhhh, qué maravilla. Espera un momento, que te mando un mensaje. <3

message 22: by Cris (new)

Cris (crisreads) | 9 comments Oops! I only responded here. Emailing you now. This is great! Ana wrote: "Hello everybody! Going through all your messages right now, still overwhelmed with gratefulness and excitement. Those of you offering to translate into less common languages are getting an answer e..."

message 23: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Cris wrote: "Oops! I only responded here. Emailing you now. This is great! Ana wrote: "Hello everybody! Going through all your messages right now, still overwhelmed with gratefulness and excitement. Those of yo..."

Oh, don't worry, I also saw your message here, although I do prefer if you all private message me for all things OSS Translation related, so that I can keep track of your timing and stuff. :D ¡Muchas gracias!

message 24: by Tessie_ye (new)

Tessie_ye | 1 comments Hi Ana, please count me in if you're putting together a Chinese team! I am a freelance translator with over-1-million-word translating experience. Besides, I'm going to pursue a master's degree in translation and interpretation in the UK for the next two years. I would be SO proud if I could help spreading Emma and all these authors' great ideas and visions!

message 25: by Nicky (new)

Nicky | 1 comments I would love to translate everything about feminism and Emma's discourse in Chinese and here I sign up for Chinese team.I have translated several makeup tutorials into Chinese on bilibili.com anonymously.And I am going to start my university study in Australia in 2017(now l live in China).Besides I am a school writer and I gained some awards about my native language writing ability and posted some Chinese articles on school newspaper as well.I think I can handle this task well and it is a great honour to join this group and I will do all my effort to complete it if I really get this chance.

message 26: by 徐劭旸 (new)

徐劭旸 | 2 comments I'm a Chinese girl,I've noticed that so many excellent parts of foreign culture are unable to get into Chinese people 's views,and as time goes by,we may lose the desire to explore new ,different culture,so we can not make these great culture interwar,A people want to develop,he can't just see his own thing,he needs more.If someone just stay where he exactly at,he might think it's the center of the world.A man's view is limited,but his mind is infinite,and to walk out his view zone,books will open a gate,bring him a pair of wings.I believe a man's power is small,but with so many other men,they can create a better world where men and women are equal,all races are exactly the same,all cultures can talk to each other freely.Above all just my personal opinion,even it's powerless,but with all of us,I'll be huge.Of course I want this opportunity,if I get it, I will make best of me.That 's just what I want to say now.

message 27: by Salma (last edited Aug 13, 2016 09:19AM) (new)

Salma | 1 comments When I saw this post I got very excited (maybe too excited even).
I told myself that finally I could do something useful for the strong and diverse community that is this group.
I'm ready to translate anything Emma does in Arabic.I'm a pretty organized person so I can handle deadlines.
For the skills,I take advanced courses in Arabic classic Literature and I'm also on top of my class (for now 2 years).You'll not have to worry about the quality of my translations as I happen to be a multi-lingual person (fluent speaker of 5 languages).So you see , translations are a daily exercise to me.
Also,I'm available if you need more french translators.
I really hope that I get to be useful.

message 28: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Salma wrote: "When I saw this post I got very excited (maybe too excited even).
I told myself that finally I could do something useful for the strong and diverse community that is this group.
I'm ready to transl..."

Salma, check your email! :)

message 29: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

中文翻译者们大家好!非常抱歉耽搁了你们。请大家检查你们的电子邮件或者Goodreads邮件。没教导的话,请再跟我联系。非常感谢你们的合作!

message 30: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR THE DUTCH/SPANISH/FRENCH/ITALIAN/PORTUGUESE/GERMAN TEAMS

Unfortunately Goodreads will not let me private message all of you guys together so that I can organise you all. For those of you who addressed me only via Goodreads and not via our Gmail account, please please please send me a PM with your emails ASAP.

My apologies for any inconvenience and many thanks!!

message 31: by Sina (new)

Sina | 1 comments Hi, I'm a Chinese college student and my major is English. I would love to help translate. I'm very interested in feminism. I've watched about Emma's speech in UN about "HeforShe" project. And I really love it. I hope I can be part of this.

message 32: by Flavia (new)

Flavia Pessoa (furabia) | 1 comments Hello! I am a Brazilian who Lives In the UK And I have some experiente with professional translation. I have recently started working with it, but I have two certificates and would love to help, if you still need someone in the Portuguese team. :)

message 33: by Nisrin (new)

Nisrin Arnouk | 6 comments I PMed you for Arabic! I hope I can be part of the team!

message 34: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Ana, if you still need a German translator, count me in. I already translated some articles in some topics here, so you can see. My ability to translate English to German is way better by the way than German to English. It's what I always do, since I'm German-native. Oh, I love to live in Austria.

message 35: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (naneverso) Ana, this is a really great idea! I am a professional English into Brazilian Portuguese translator and I would love to help! Please let me know if you still need people for this language :)

message 36: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Galván (aleggalvan) If you still need English to Spanish translator count me in! I have a Bachelor's Degree precisely in that field! ;)

message 37: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Lorenzo | 1 comments I would like to translate from English to Spanish. I have a translation college degree :)

message 38: by Lucie (new)

Lucie Gravier (luciegrv) Hi ! I'd love to contribute. I'm a junior translator and French is my mother tongue. I also speak English and Spanish. Translating things for this group would be a great experience so I hope I'm not too late to apply for this :)

message 39: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Dutch and Spanish groups, you've got a mail!!

As for the rest of you, I promise you'll get one tomorrow LOL. :')

Really, thank you all for your patience and understanding. Also please please send me your emails via private message if you haven't already.

For Chinese speaking volunteers, all new applications, and most likely a few of the ones that I got via email from members to-be, will go to a waiting list at least temporarily. The same can be said for new Spanish speaking volunteers. Possibly also for French / Dutch. Not that we don't welcome them just the same, it's just that probably we will put your skills to good use for our next interviews.

I'm thinking that maybe the best idea would be to close this thread for now so that new applications will reach me via my inbox here. Thanks everybody! :D

message 40: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Hi everybody!

My, my, it's been crickets for a while here, right? My sincerest apologies about that, as the sole responsible of this project within the admin team. Ever since I moved abroad for work it's been a lot of fun and exciting challenges offline, but I have also struggled with balancing everything, and it took its toll on this project.

...But nothing positive ever came from dwelling in your sad blues! So let's get restarted, shall we? Even if it's at a slower pace than initially expected. You will see that there were some uploads, the latest ones today, for both Portuguese and Chinese. Expect more soon! This post is just a FYI to say: the project is not dead, it simply went through a MIA phase. :)

Carry on!

message 41: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Ana wrote: "Hi everybody!

My, my, it's been crickets for a while here, right? My sincerest apologies about that, as the sole responsible of this project within the admin team. Ever since I moved abroad for w..."

Still on the battlefield, commander:) Anything new that we might translate?

message 42: by Cris (new)

Cris (crisreads) | 9 comments Aye aye, captain!

message 43: by Ksenia (new)

Ksenia | 1 comments Hello, everyone! I am new here, but not new to translation and interpretation. I am a Russian native speaker currently living in the US. I have 5+years of professional translation & interpretation experience. I would like to help with translation into Russian and help to spread the word and awareness on women agenda. Feminism and Women's right are very hot topics in Russia these days so I would like to contribute to the cause through my translations.
Ksenia T.

message 44: by Maika (new)

Maika (maiikayamaguchi) | 1 comments Hi everyone! Since there doesn't seem to be Japanese translation available yet, I would love to contribute. I am a professional interpreter/translator (English-Japanese). Let me know if there's anything I can take part in:) Thanks.

message 45: by Vica (new)

Vica (vicccha) | 11 comments Hi! I can help with Hungarian translations. I have got a blog in English. If you need me, I am here! :)

message 46: by Raquel (new)

Raquel Lopes | 2 comments Hi Ana! I'm from Portugal (only saw this post today) but would love to help with the portuguese translations and transcriptions. If you need me, count me in! :)

message 47: by Lasse (new)

Lasse | 16 comments Hi Ana I saw this post today. I do not have translation experience, but if it is necessary, I will do my best to translate into Danish, if you can use my help. I do not know if there are other Danes besides me, but I will be glad to help. :-)

You can, if you want send me a written test of something there already are on OSS. Then I will try to translate it and send it back to you. Afterward I can see about I can meet up to your expectations.

message 48: by Cris (new)

Cris (crisreads) | 9 comments Hi, Ana. I hope you're well. I just wanted to check in. I'd love to help with the Spanish translations again. All my best, Cris

message 49: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Cris wrote: "Hi, Ana. I hope you're well. I just wanted to check in. I'd love to help with the Spanish translations again. All my best, Cris"

I'd love to help again too.

message 50: by Isis (new)

Isis Ruiz Nieves (bookish_linguist) | 1 comments Hello,
Perhaps it is too late to mention it, but I would love to help with translation whenever I can. I could also edit and proofread. I am a Spanish-English-French translator. I am fully bilingual (Spanish-English), I have a BA in Modern Languages: French and Italian, and I am completing a master's in translation studies.

« previous 1