Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Bingo Challenge > Dani's Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dani (last edited May 21, 2017 10:55AM) (new)

Dani | 577 comments Dani's Fantasy Buddy Reads Bingo Challenge

X. X. X. X. X

X. X. X. X. X

X. X. 0. X. X

X. X. X. X. X

X. X. 0. X. X

Start date: 26th of July 2016
I'm going to do this challenge in all genres. Otherwise my tbr list is never going to get any smaller! I will try to keep it to the fantasy genre as much as I can though.

1. A buddy read with someone in the group The Rithmatist 27.10.2016
2. A debut novel The Hangman's Daughter 16.12.2016
3. A book under 300 pages The Baker Street Letters 05.03.2017
4. A book you own and haven’t read yet Grave Peril 30.01.2017
5. A book with a blue cover Avempartha 11.02.2017
6. A book in a series you have already started Unseemly Science 27.08.2016
7. A book with an anti-hero The Blade Itself 28.08.2016
8. A book recommended by someone on Goodreads Traitor's Blade 17.04.2017 Recommended by Angela
9. A Young Adult book 06.04.2017 The Lie Tree
10. A book by an author you have not read before The Seance 03.03.2017
11. A book with a one word title Stardust 07.11.2016
12. A book you can read in one day The Lover's Dictionary 13.01.2017
13. A book in a foreign language
14. A book featuring an unlikely friendship Last Argument of Kings (Ardee and Glokta) 01.12.2016
15. A book over 800 pages Heir of Novron 19.05.2017
16. A book published before 1970 Lady Susan 23.01.2017
17. A book on your to-read list for more than one year The Crown Conspiracy 29.12.2016
18. A book with a person on the cover Promise of Blood 18.01.2017
19. A book from a (sub)genre you don’t usually read The Restorer 01.12.2016
20. A book by an author under 25 at the time it was published 14.03.2017 The Story of My Life
21. A book with a dragon in it A Natural History of Dragons 09.03.2017
22. A book published this year The Waking Fire Published July, 2016 - Challenge started in 2016 01.05.2017
23. A standalone book
24. The last book in a series The Custodian of Marvels27.09.2016
25. A book of your choice Before They Are Hanged 24.09.2016

message 2: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Good luck! :) I like your addition for #13!

message 3: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments It's rather ambitious of me but I've been wanting to brush up my German for ages so now I really have to..

message 4: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jul 26, 2016 03:22PM) (new)

Dani wrote: "It's rather ambitious of me but I've been wanting to brush up my German for ages so now I really have to.."

My problem is that I'm not sure how I would attempt to find fantasy in another language that 1) I'm good enough to read in 2) is easy enough not to constantly go to a dictionary. Do you ave any idea of what you would read in German?

I did read Harry Potter in French a number of years ago, but I haven't read anything else in anything not English.

message 5: by Dani (last edited Jul 27, 2016 02:38AM) (new)

Dani | 577 comments As said, I will read some books in other genres and it's pretty likely I will not search for a fantasy novel in German as I already have 2 novels on my tbr list that I can choose from (if you're interested: (The Reader or Visitation ).
Searching for a fantasy novel in another language can be a bit harder yes. I search for something that appeals to me which also happens to be written by an author who originates from Germany or Austria or another German speaking country, so there's bound to be a German written version of it. Of course there are likely to be lots of other (better) ways to do it too, but I prefer reading in the original language over say a German translation of an original English novel.

Also, once you've got a title in another language and enter it here on GR, GR will recommend other titles to you in that same language, so one option can lead to others.

I didn't want to consult a dictionary all the time either when I started reading in other languages. So what I did was buy the book in my native tongue as well and have it on hand while I read the German or English version. I salute you for reading in French. I remember a lot of verbs and nouns from school, yet never got to a point where I could read or converse in that language confidently.
But my English has gotten better over the years mostly due to the fact that I almost exclusively read in English. Reading is a great way to expand your vocabulary (well, that and conversing of course, but you don't always have that available to you :-)

message 6: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Dani wrote: "As said, I will read some books in other genres and it's pretty likely I will not search for a fantasy novel in German as I already have 2 novels on my tbr list that I can choose from (if you're in..."

Thanks for the tips!

And reading in French is a lot easier than reading in German for me because I don't speak any German! I'm no good at speaking French, but reading is a lot easier for me. My Dutch is not even close to being good enough to read anything other than children's books (the ones that are more pictures than writing) and I have a hard time finding anything in Korean to read where I live... Thus, I am stuck with French. It is nice that I can find a lot of books in my first language because it's English, but I would love to have the opportunity to improve my other languages. Like you said, you don't always have the chance to practice speaking, but reading is much more available.

message 7: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Wow, French, Korean and even a little Dutch? I'm impressed. How did you come by learning those, if I may ask?

I could teach you a little Dutch if you want haha.
Ik wens je een fijne dag!
translation:
Have a nice day!

message 8: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Dani wrote: "Wow, French, Korean and even a little Dutch? I'm impressed. How did you come by learning those, if I may ask?

I could teach you a little Dutch if you want haha.
Ik wens je een fijne dag!
translati..."

Well, we have to learn French in school until grade 9, but I kept taking classes after that. My best friend and my boyfriend of 4 years are both Korean (and my boyfriend's parents don't speak English) so I figured I should probably learn a little bit. And Dutch because of my family and it's known to be one of the easiest courses at my university (it really was). For some reason the German program is known for being notoriously difficult...

Hahaha - Dank je wel!

message 9: by Dani (last edited Jul 27, 2016 12:24AM) (new)

Dani | 577 comments Funny that Dutch has a reputation of being easy to learn. Up to now, I've only heard non-Dutch people say they find it a very tough language to learn. Hell, my boss (an Englishman) has been getting Dutch lessons for almost 15 years now and STILL cannot speak it beyond the easiest of sentences.

German is hard but it does have its similarities to the Dutch language so I guess for us it's just a tiny bit easier to learn.
I think it's very cool you've learned Korean. I should think that would be so much harder to learn than German.

And now I really need to go to work! :-)

message 10: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Dani wrote: "Funny that Dutch has a reputation of being easy to learn. Up to now, I've only heard non-Dutch people say they find it a very tough language to learn. Hell, my boss (an Englishman) has been getting..."

Yeah, I'm not sure why it has that reputation either, especially when it is similar to German and German is known for being difficult.
Korean is hard in some ways because the sentence structure is so different, but you can learn the alphabet in about an hour so it's easy that way.

message 11: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Good luck Dani! I actually find your #13 quite interesting and, besides the challenge itself, I started considering reading a fantasy book in Italian by an Italian author!
I am really excited about this group, I keep reading about great suggestions and ideas!

message 12: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Thank you, Aristea. And I agree, this community definitely rocks and has given me more ideas/suggestions than I know what to do with :-)

I intend to try to keep the challenge as much fantasy (or fantasy-adjacent) as possible but if I want to reduce my tbr list at all, I will have to include other genres as well.

Well if you decide to do it, good luck with the Italian reading. I wish I could speak/read Italian. I think it's a beautiful language and a gorgeous country too.

message 13: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Woohoo, I'm no longer a bingo challenge virgin! :-)
Finished a book yesterday and today. Felt good to have a long stretch of reading time for once!

message 14: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Lol "a bingo challenge virgin."
Two in the same row!

message 15: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3594 comments Mod
Well done Dani :-).

message 16: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments 24. The last book in a series.

Finished The Custodian of Marvels last Tuesday and almost forgot to add it here.
This was a 4/5 star read for me. It was as enjoyable as the other two in the series.

message 17: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Added two:

#1 spot - The Rithmatist - Brandon Sanderson - 4 stars.

#25 spot - Before They Are Hanged (First Law #2) - Joe Abercrombie - 3.5 stars (bumped to 4)

message 18: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

The two corners! Will you try to connect them in the middle?

message 19: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments That would be smart, wouldn't it :-).
But my two next reads will be #11 and #5 so I'm not exactly going at this very strategically..

message 20: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Well done Dani. Two more completed. :-)

message 21: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments #11 spot is filled.

message 22: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Looking good Dani.

message 23: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Another two spots filled:

#14 - Last Argument of Kings - Joe Abercrombie.
4 stars for this last installment. 3.5 stars for the series as a whole.

#19 - The Restorer (Graveyard Queen #1) - Amanda Stevens.
2.5 stars

Well, it looks like now I'm going to have to do no. 13. Darn... hadn't planned for that at all haha

message 24: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments #2 is filled.

message 25: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Well done Dani. Did you enjoy The Hangman's Daughter?

message 26: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Thanks Angela. I did enjoy it but it felt a bit flat/uninspired. There was far less history about hangmen (despite the author's heritage of his family being hangmen for generations) and the time period then I expected/hoped there'd be. Consequently, I am uncertain whether I want to continue the series - but fortunately, I have plenty of other books calling for my attention so I can postpone that decision for a while :-)

message 27: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Well done Dani!

message 28: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Thanks Aristea :-)

Added #17. My last finished book of the year!

Finished 25 books in 2016, of which 10 for the Bingo challenge.

message 29: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Good job! :)

message 30: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Thanks Samir. I know it's a not an impressive number for most, but I'm pretty pleased. It's more than I've read in years.

message 31: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Life is tough, a lot of our time is consumed by our jobs and other important obligations so any number of books read is an impressive number ;)

message 32: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments You're right oh wise man ;-)

message 33: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

You nearly have your first line Dani. Well done!!

message 34: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments #12 added. The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan.
I loved it and gave it 4 stars - but it was so enjoyable, it was more between 4 and 5 stars for me.

message 35: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments #18 added. Finished Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan this morning. Loved it. 4.5 stars.

message 36: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Dani wrote: "#18 added. Finished Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan this morning. Loved it. 4.5 stars."

Woohoo :)

message 37: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments So I want to do #22 soon but what are the rules for this one? Can I read a book from 2016 as that's when I started the challenge or does it have to be this year?

message 38: by Solseit (new)

I would say that if the rule is not defined, you can define the rule - and I would base it on books that I want to read, so if you have a cool 2016 read, go for that!

message 39: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Haha, okay Aristea, I like the sound of this!

message 40: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Dani wrote: "#18 added. Finished Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan this morning. Loved it. 4.5 stars."

I have to read this book. You all have been raving about it! Dani you are nearly there with having a whole line!

message 41: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Added #16 - a bit of an underwhelming read, which surprised me because I count two of Austen's book among my all-time favorites - 3 stars.

message 42: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Dani wrote: "Added #16 - a bit of an underwhelming read, which surprised me because I count two of Austen's book among my all-time favorites - 3 stars."

That's too bad. Hopefully your next one is better :)

message 43: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Thanks Jenna.

Well, thanks to a couple of people of this group I decided to give the Harry Dresden Files another chance and I'm liking it very much so far!!

message 44: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Dani wrote: "Thanks Jenna.

Well, thanks to a couple of people of this group I decided to give the Harry Dresden Files another chance and I'm liking it very much so far!!"

That's a series I really need to get to, but I'm going to wait until my Shame list is shortened a bit. I'm really enjoying Butcher's Codex Alera series right now.

message 45: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments After reading here quite a few times that it takes a couple of books before the series gets really good and the fact that I did like Harry quite a lot as MC throughout both books, I decided to give book 3 a try. And book 3 starts off right in the middle of the story/action, which I always love. So now, I may gain another series to finish after all, which is a bit of a bummer haha.

Codex Alera never appealed to me much but who knows, I might end up reading that series as well.

Took a peek at your shame list and I should say you're doing great in that department. And I also like that you are good at abandoning series after book 1.

message 46: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Dani wrote: "After reading here quite a few times that it takes a couple of books before the series gets really good and the fact that I did like Harry quite a lot as MC throughout both books, I decided to give..."

I will put the series higher on my TBR!

Thanks! I'm trying to keep my incomplete series to a minimum and I don't want to waste time on books that were just "meh."

message 47: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Added 2 books:

#4. Grave Peril (Harry Dresden File #3) - Jim Butcher - 3.25 star read and continuing with the series definitely now.

#5. Avempartha (Riyria Revelations #3) - Michael J. Sullivan - 5 star read. Added to my favourites shelf because I absolutely loved it.

message 48: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments #10. The Séance - John Harwood - 3.25 stars.
Liked it well enough but something about it prevented me from loving it.

message 49: by Solseit (new)

message 50: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Well done Dani. So many where you are just one off finishing a line.

« previous 1