Underground Knowledge — A discussion group discussion

MYSTERIOUS DEATHS > Mary Jo Kopechne (addressing the persistent rumors that the nature of her death was covered up to protect Senator Ted Kennedy)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James, Group Founder (last edited Jul 26, 2016 05:59AM) (new)

James Morcan | 11248 comments Synopsis for the new book CHAPPAQUIDDICK TRAGEDY: Kennedy's Second Passenger Revealed reveals the rumor:

On July 18, 1969, Ted Kennedy drove his Oldsmobile 88 off Dike Bridge and into Poucha Pond in Chappaquiddick, Massachusetts, after a night of partying in nearby Edgartown. Kennedy was unharmed and returned to Edgartown as if nothing had happened. His cousin Joe Gargan was reportedly willing to take the rap for the wreck, but he was not going to be held responsible for a death!

In the morning, a body was discovered in the back seat of the sunken car—the body of Mary Jo Kopechne, one of the six unmarried women at the party the night before. The Edgartown police chief charged Kennedy with leaving the scene of an accident that caused personal injury. Kennedy pleaded guilty to avoid a trial, but his sentence was suspended. The public did not understand this “accident,” and they demanded answers. The district attorney, Edmund Dinis, launched an inquest, but the proceedings were closed to the public.

The mystery surrounding this incident still baffles some to this day. Why was Kopechne in the rear seat? Why didn’t Kennedy call for help after the crash? Why did Kennedy flee to Edgartown? Why was Rosemary Keough’s handbag found in the submerged, inverted car on the ceiling of the front-seat compartment? Perhaps, as the author proposes, there is an alternative theory that would answer all of these questions.

CHAPPAQUIDDICK TRAGEDY Kennedy's Second Passenger Revealed by Donald Frederick Nelson

Inquest! Ted Kennedy--Mary Jo Kopechne, Prosecution or Persecution? is another book detailing the death.

Inquest! Ted Kennedy--Mary Jo Kopechne, Prosecution or Persecution? by Henry A. Zeiger

message 2: by Pete (new)

Pete daPixie Thanks for this post James. It was and is a mystery, and I've been intending to find a good book on this topic.
I don't go with the 'Kennedy curse' stuff. I suspect that there were forces behind this curse....all the way to JFK Jr's plane.

message 3: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11248 comments Most who have investigated this seem to conclude Ted Kennedy was guilty, Pete. Personally I'd need to read more on it to form a strong opinion.

As for the curse you mention...
Maybe the Kennedys were not just undone by those outside the family, but also those within the family...

message 4: by Pete (new)

Pete daPixie James Morcan wrote: "Most who have investigated this seem to conclude Ted Kennedy was guilty, Pete. Personally I'd need to read more on it to form a strong opinion.

As for the curse you mention.."
Yes, I need to read more on Ted.
As for the Kennedy family, their silence has been kept since JFK's death. RFK didn't believe the Warren verdict as stated by his son RFK Jr. JFK was killed to prevent his re-election to the White House in 64. RFK was killed to stop his White House bid in 68. Chappaquiddick killed off any presidential hopes for Ted & JFK Jr's plane crash has lots of unanswered questions too. If he was entering politics he would have been a Democratic shoe in....there would be no Hilary today.

message 5: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11248 comments Yeah, I tend to agree with all that, Pete.
Just meant sometimes the Kennedys didn't help themselves either with things like JFK's dad, Ted's behavior as well as perhaps the Kennedys' involvement with Marilyn Monroe.
But overall I definitely agree they upset the Establishment.

It sure would be fascinating to learn the whole story.

What'd you make of Oliver Stone's JFK?

message 6: by Pete (new)

Pete daPixie It blew my mind when I went to see it on it's release in U.K. in c1992. I've been chasing the truth of Dallas 63 ever since. Hats off to Stone, he woke a lot of people up with that movie which resulted in the JFK Records Act & the A.R.R.B.
We may not agree with all his interpretations but it was a coup with military involvement and he also exposed the fraud autopsy etc.

message 7: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11248 comments I agree re Oliver Stone and that film