The Kipple Bookclub discussion

What to read?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chebe (new)

Chebe | 17 comments I'm currently finishing up the last book in the Dark Tower series, and after that I want to read American Gods. It's been on my to-read pile for years, but there's a film coming out soon so I better get a move on. But it's 658 pages so I can't be making the rest of you read it too :p

So, what are you reading? What do you think we should read?

message 2: by Rory (new)

Rory  (ebel) | 5 comments I've been going through the 2015 Clarke Award Shortlist. The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August was quite good, Europe in Autumn (the 2015 winner) is OK, but I struggle to see how it's sci-fi, it's more cold war spy triller (but set in the future which is politically but not technologically different from now). The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet is on the shortlist for 2016 Clarke Award and is a nice fun happy book, the sequel (A Closed and Common Orbit) is out sometime.

message 3: by Joe (new)

Joe Mansfield | 3 comments I've been working my way through William Gibson's Blue Ant series ( Pattern Recognition, Spook Country and Zero History) recently but they are more alternative recent history rather than SF to be honest. Loved Pattern Recognition, not so sure about Spook Country (yet at least).

I've been planning to re-read American Gods. It's so long since I first read it I've mostly forgotten it but I remember enjoying it at the time so maybe I'll join in.

I was planning to dip into some of the 2016 Hugo nominees - I liked Ancillary Mercy, felt it nicely closed off that series but I got put off after I took on Seven Eves. I generally enjoy Neal Stephenson's SF stuff but in this case, while I was enjoying parts of it, somewhere around the middle it got to be ridiculous. The 2016 Clarke list might be a nice way to get rid of the bad taste that left in my mouth.

message 4: by Chebe (last edited Jul 26, 2016 07:55AM) (new)

Chebe | 17 comments (Just adding links;)

- 2016 Hugo shortlist,
- All Clarke shortlists.