Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Spoiler Talk on Books We've Read > I'm thinking of ending things

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3115 comments Got this on a pass through Brattleboro Vt, a town that has a bookstore with an owner you can talk books with all day.

Book is by Iain Reid, and has the kind of ending for which you will either praise the author for his brilliance, or curse him for being deviant.
I would steer Shutter Island haters away from this book.

It took me probably too long to realize i was reading a psychological thriller. Also, uncharacteristically, I had to reread sections a few times to see what really happened. At the end, I reread the last few chapters, and then the first few. I found that worthwhile, though like "In the Cut, or Mr Goodbar, I will never pass this way again.

So why start this thread? Hey, if you read it, what did you think?
(view spoiler)

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14988 comments Looks intriguing Barry! I'll see if I can snag a copy from the library. I am a Shutter Island fan. ;)

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1320 comments Sounds very intriguing!! There's a waitlist at the library...bodes well for a new author! Hahaha...amazon reviews are either 5 stars or 1 star. Either you love it or hate it! I liked Shutter Island...adding to my list!

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments I put off opening this topic because I thought there would be spoilers, but I finally gave in to see what the book was about (thanks for putting the spoiler in code).

Sounds intriguing; as a Shutter Island lover i will go in search of the book, and will report on it if I read it.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments Just put this on hold at the library; I'm #15 on 20 copies. I'd never heard of this, I wonder how other folks have? Barry, did the knowledgeable bookstore owner in Brattleboro recommend it?

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3115 comments He did. I'm up that way a few times a year, and never miss a chance to visit, and ask him what he recommends.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14988 comments Barry: sounds like a very good person to know! And we benefit too!
Barry wrote: "He did. I'm up that way a few times a year, and never miss a chance to visit, and ask him what he recommends."

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1320 comments I've read it! I get a lot of it, but not all...ehhh...I'm sure I'm not even aware enough to know what I don't get! I don't know how to hide spoilers so I don't want to say anything. But I've got questions and comments! lol

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments Dawn, I see Barry created a topic under the Spoiler Talk folder so you can spoil away over there!

message 10: by Barry (last edited Aug 09, 2016 03:23PM) (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3115 comments This is the spoiler topic, to hide, got to "some HTML is OK" and click on it. it will give you:
"spoiler: (code for spiler here)
just cut and paste: "the code for spoiler"
and put your comments between the ">...<"
(view spoiler)

note it will not let me type what you will actually see.

message 11: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1320 comments I'm just testing before I post.....How have I never done this before

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1320 comments Yay...who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks!!

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3115 comments Can't say I got it all either Dawn.

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14988 comments Well I definitely didn't get it all either and had different conclusions from those in Dawn's spoiler. I went into the book with the predisposition that things were not as they seemed so my leaps to conclusions were Shutter Island influenced.
That said, I decided that (view spoiler)

message 15: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3115 comments I almost hate to think I need to read this again, just to figure it out.

message 16: by Ann (last edited Aug 19, 2016 06:47PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14988 comments Barry: I won't listen again, the female narrator's voice didn't send me. I might, maybe browse a hard copy.
Barry wrote: "I almost hate to think I need to read this again, just to figure it out."

message 17: by Ann (last edited Aug 19, 2016 06:57PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14988 comments Barry and Dawn: further spoilers musings...(view spoiler)

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14988 comments Dawn:
(view spoiler)
Dawn wrote: "Yay...who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks!! (view spoiler)

message 19: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1320 comments I'm on vacation with only my iPad which doesn't allow me to read the spoiler links! It's killing me! Lol! Will be home Thursday!!!

message 20: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1320 comments Oh Ann! You have some really good insights that really do make sense. And if possible, make the book all the more creepier!
(view spoiler)

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14988 comments I know Dawn! Very creepy the more we think about it!

message 22: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments Dawn wrote: "Yay...who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks!!

[spoilers removed]"

Dawn, that's a pretty good analysis of the book. I didn't even get as far as you did until I read the companion website afterthingsend.com where readers post their ideas on the book.

Wow.

Btw, why are we using spoiler HTML when this is a thread on which spoilers are permitted? I think anyone who doesn't want the plot spoiled wouldn't be reading this topic.

message 23: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments Barry wrote: "I almost hate to think I need to read this again, just to figure it out."

A couple of posters on the website I mentioned were about to read the book again or had just read it again and found it even more enjoyable.

Ann's observations take the plot to a whole new level. I don't think I've heard anyone make that comparison. Yikes! Now I'm even more creeped out!

message 24: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments Ann wrote: "Barry: I won't listen again, the female narrator's voice didn't send me. I might, maybe browse a hard copy.
Barry wrote: "I almost hate to think I need to read this again, just to figure it out.""

This is one of the few books I read since neither of my library networks had it in audio. I think if I'd listened to it it would have freaked me out completely. As it was I had to stop reading it on the night of the 31st, about 20 pages from the end, because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to go to sleep. I really tried, because I wanted to list it on my August reads, but I knew I would regret it.

message 25: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 01, 2016 08:40PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments One thing that's confusing to me about the scenario you paint, Ann, is that (view spoiler) I agree with Barry that this book bears re-reading. I also agree with Barry that this is Shutter Island II, LOL! I bet people who didn't like SI will hate this one, but it is going near the top of my list so far this year. So thanks for the recommendation, Barry!

message 26: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14988 comments Carol: just trying to help! Lol. I was thoroughly creeped out, still am actually. :)
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "..Ann's observations take the plot to a whole new level. I don't think I've heard anyone make that comparison. Yikes! Now I'm even more creeped out! "

message 27: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments The only thing that I'll say about this in comparison to Shutter Island is that I found it a little harder to read. I think it was because SI was pretty much a straight ahead mystery thriller until the very end when (view spoiler). With ITOET (and isn't that a doozy of a title now that we've read it!) -- and I don't think this is spoilering so I won't use HTML ------- I found the way the girlfriend jumped around from narrating what was going on to reminiscing to wandering into philosophical musings a little annoying. I actually put the book down about halfway through, which I didn't expect to because so many reviews said they read straight through, couldn't put it down. I picked it up again probably 3 or 4 days later and I still didn't read it straight through but i did read it every chance I got.

message 28: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14988 comments Carol: That there is a site http://afterthingsend.com to discuss the book never occured to me!
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Dawn, that's a pretty good analysis of the book. I didn't even get as far as you did until I read the companion website afterthingsend.com.."

message 29: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments Ann wrote: "Carol: That there is a site http://afterthingsend.com to discuss the book never occured to me!
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Dawn, that's a pretty good analysis of the book. I didn't even get as far as you..."

I think it was listed on the last page of the book, Ann, that's probably why you missed it. I started reading it after I finished the book on my lunch hour, and I had to tear myself away it was so interesting!

message 30: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3794 comments Dawn wrote: "I've read it! I get a lot of it, but not all...ehhh...I'm sure I'm not even aware enough to know what I don't get! I don't know how to hide spoilers so I don't want to say anything. But I've got qu..."

lol, dawn. exactly how i felt when i finished it.

message 31: by Sherry (last edited Sep 10, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Sherry  | 3794 comments i am much less, but still confused after reading everyone's thoughts. (view spoiler)

message 32: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14988 comments Sherry: still confused seems to be the consensus!
The phone calls are some of the strangest parts!
Sherry wrote: "i am much less, but still confused after reading everyone's thoughts.."

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments I just started reading it, so I'll be confused with you all. LOL.

message 34: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3794 comments Ann wrote: "Sherry: still confused seems to be the consensus!
Sherry wrote: "i am much less, but still confused after reading everyone's thoughts..""

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3115 comments Very hard to tell what is real. I did a double take after reading the last chapter.

message 36: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments I decided not to finish this book.

message 37: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14988 comments Sherry: re your spoiler in message #34; that is a very real (reverse pun intended) possibility. (view spoiler)

message 38: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14988 comments Amy: I can understand and respect that. The lure of this spoiler thread kept me listening, but I'm not sure a print book would keep me going. I'm not sorry I read it, but it would take the right mood.
Amy wrote: "I decided not to finish this book."

message 39: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3794 comments Ann wrote: "Amy: I can understand and respect that. The lure of this spoiler thread kept me listening, but I'm not sure a print book would keep me going. I'm not sorry I read it, but it would take the right mo..."

what kept me reading was the fact that it was a short book :)

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments I did read the spoilers. LOL

message 41: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1320 comments (view spoiler)

Sherry wrote: "Ann wrote: "Sherry: still confused seems to be the consensus!
Sherry wrote: "i am much less, but still confused after reading everyone's thoughts.."..."

message 42: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments Ann wrote: "Amy: I can understand and respect that. The lure of this spoiler thread kept me listening, but I'm not sure a print book would keep me going. I'm not sorry I read it, but it would take the right mo..."

I agree and also agree with Sherry that it was easier to keep going because it was short. I think a longer book with that plot would be crazy-making!

A couple on the web site I recommended have advocated for a second reading of the book, saying much became clearer. Don't know if I have the stomach for it but the idea sort of appeals to me.

message 43: by Sherry (last edited Sep 12, 2016 03:03PM) (new)

Sherry  | 3794 comments carol/bonadie said "A couple on the web site I recommended have advocated for a second reading of the book, saying much became clearer. Don't know if I have the stomach for it but the idea sort of appeals to me. "

i totally couldn't handle another reading of it.. but if anyone does read it a second time, let us know if things get clearer!

message 44: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14988 comments Dawn: the your spoiler comment in message 41
Time certainly was fluid in this tale, context hard to pinpoint!