Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Hard to Hold on To (Hard Ink, #2.5)
This topic is about Hard to Hold on To
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived: Series Reads > Hard to Hold on To (Hard Ink #2.5) by Laura Kaye [Start Date: August 01, 2016]

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments

Hard to Hold on To (Hard Ink #2.5) by Laura Kaye.

Edward "Easy" Cantrell knows better than most the pain of not being able to save those he loves--which is why he is not going to let Jenna Dean out of his sight. He may have just met her, but Jenna's the first person to make him feel alive since that devastating day in the desert more than a year ago.

Jenna has never met anyone like Easy. She can't describe how he makes her feel--and not just because he saved her life. No, the stirrings inside her reach far beyond gratitude.

As the pair are thrust together while chaos reigns around them, they both know one thing: the things in life most worth having are the hardest to hold on to.

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved.

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm in.

Lara | 2335 comments I'm in too.

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Are you happy with the date?

Lara | 2335 comments Yes. That will work well for me.

Silvia | 643 comments In!

message 8: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I started it. Only half an hour in.

message 9: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm going overseas from 30th of Aug to 15th of September.
Can we read the next one towards the end month so I can join too? I'm thinking either 19th or 26th.

message 10: by Lara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "I'm going overseas from 30th of Aug to 15th of September.
Can we read the next one towards the end month so I can join too? I'm thinking either 19th or 26th."

That's fine by me.

message 11: by Lara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "I started it. Only half an hour in."

I have another book to finish up tonight, so will start tomorrow.

Silvia | 643 comments I'm starting now!

message 13: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm going very slowly. I'm in middle of chapter 3.

message 14: by Lara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Oh my gosh, I forgot ti start this book and started another one instead. Well, I've got a little bit before lights out, so I'll get a start on it.

message 15: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "Oh my gosh, I forgot ti start this book and started another one instead. Well, I've got a little bit before lights out, so I'll get a start on it."

lol I can't say that that never has happened to me!

message 16: by Anita (last edited Aug 01, 2016 10:57PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anita (anitanodiva) | 607 comments I have had times when I know I should read one book (group read, ARC) but another book just is calling my name.

I hope to start this one tomorrow.

message 17: by Lara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Okay, I started last night and it's going REALLY fast. The one thing I'm struggling with is the negative thinking by both Easy and Jenna. The good thing is that they're aware they do it, the bad is how much they do it. It seems to dominate the book.

message 18: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "Okay, I started last night and it's going REALLY fast. The one thing I'm struggling with is the negative thinking by both Easy and Jenna. The good thing is that they're aware they do it, the bad is..."

Yes I'm past the halfway mark and most of the book has been in their heads thinking how miserable they are . It's worse for Easy but it's getting better though. They've started to have some positive thoughts.

message 19: by Lara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho, are you listening to the audio?

message 20: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Yes That's why I'm going this slow! It's on my iPod and it doesn't have 1 1/2x speed. It only has 2X speed.

message 21: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Are you listening?

message 22: by Lara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lara | 2335 comments I'm reading the ebook. I think this is one that's better that way. Partly because you can speed through the self-flagellation parts. And also because this one doesn't have much action so far. I'm halfway in, and they haven't left the building for over a day.

message 23: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "I'm reading the ebook. I think this is one that's better that way. Partly because you can speed through the self-flagellation parts. And also because this one doesn't have much action so far. I'm h..."

Yes I think you're right!

BTW Easy just said the whole thing has happened in 2 weeks. And we've been reading these books for about 3 month :))

message 24: by Lara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "BTW Easy just said the whole thing has happened in 2 weeks. And we've been reading these books for about 3 month :)) "

I know! These people hook up VERY fast. The first book was about 3 days, the second one about a week or so. That one was longer, and I felt the two got to know each other better. This one seems short as well, with little opportunity for real get-to-know-you experiences. Protectiveness is not a solid basis for a long-term relationship.

message 25: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "BTW Easy just said the whole thing has happened in 2 weeks. And we've been reading these books for about 3 month :)) "

I know! These people hook up VERY fast. The first book was abo..."

They have to be tagged as fantasy :P

message 26: by Lara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Okay, I finished. It wasn't about what I expected at all (view spoiler).

Silvia | 643 comments @60% I'm having a difficult time reading this. Not liking it. (view spoiler) Yaaaaaaawn!

Anita (anitanodiva) | 607 comments I've got to say, I just hated this book. I skim read most of it. There was very little of redeeming value here. To much inside their respective heads. Very boring.

message 29: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I gave it 3 stars too. They didn't go out of the building throughout the whole book and 80% of the book they were in that room. A little action would have been great.
I've read novellas that manage to create a whole and complete relationship in 100 pages but this one failed to do that.
I think the author wants to solve the whole Church ,drug dealing and betrayal in a short span of time in the books that's why we are having insta' love in every book.

message 30: by Silvia (last edited Aug 03, 2016 03:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Silvia | 643 comments ITA ShoSho! IMO there was no major point to this story except for the very tired Easy & Jenn storyline, hardly any connection to the Merrick thread which is the main underlying theme of the series. The 'insta love' as you so aptly put it is getting old. Hopefully the next book will get back to more Merrick interwoven with the next romantic pairing. I was being generous by rating it 3 stars.

message 31: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments As far as I can tell from the blurb of the next book it's going to be insta' love too!

message 32: by Lara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Yes, my concern with this book was how it didn't move the overall plot forward at all. I agree that it was somewhat claustrophobic, and not for a really good reason. After all, the author could have put that time to better use even if they didn't go anywhere.

Another issue I had was that it didn't seem in keeping with how Easy was portrayed in the previous two books. Earlier he was watchful and quick to jump on someone for screwing up. Now he's suddenly tortured inside and hardly functional due to his internal guilt track. Where did that come from? Or was it just that she didn't have another place for Easy to have a love interest, so she used him for her public service announcement?

I agree that it is a very important issue, but it didn't ring true for this character.

message 33: by Lara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "As far as I can tell from the blurb of the next book it's going to be insta' love too!"

Yeah, that was old in the first chapter of the first book. I'm just glad they didn't declare their undying love for each other in this one.

message 34: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "As far as I can tell from the blurb of the next book it's going to be insta' love too!"

Yeah, that was old in the first chapter of the first book. I'm just glad they didn't declare ..."

me too. When he said he had a surprise tattoo for her , I thought I'm going to give this book 1 star if the tattoo was her name or something too specific for her like " E Loves J" kind of tattoo :P

message 35: by Lara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lara | 2335 comments snicker. The tattoo scene just wasn't romantic to me. It felt like overkill.

message 36: by Anita (last edited Aug 04, 2016 08:22AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anita (anitanodiva) | 607 comments LOL! I actually liked the tattoo scene, but by that time I had checked out of the book. PTSD is very real and the suicide of veterans is a very real problem, but, other authors have done much better with this than this one. Way to much time in Easy's head. The "insta love" bothers me too.

Each member of this little Team has a real war related problem and it is like the author is just using a check list and checking them off with each book. I hate to say this, but the only thing that is keeping me reading is the mystery of who in the military or government is really behind the whole thing. I don't, for a minute, buy that Commander Merritt was, that he acted alone or that he was a bad guy.

message 37: by Lara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Anita wrote: "I hate to say this, but the only thing that is keeping me reading is the mystery of who in the military or government is really behind the whole thing. I don't, for a minute, buy that Commander Merritt was, that he acted alone or that he was a bad guy."

I already own nearly all of the ebooks, and this is a good lesson for me for why I shouldn't be so quick to buy just because it sounds good. At least I got them all fairy inexpensively. I agree that the most interesting feature is the mystery of what was really happening and why the survivors were treated so poorly. However, even if Merritt was carrying out an undercover investigation, the fact that he put his team into so much risk without them being aware of how he was using them is a strike against him in my mind.

I'm just glad that the insta-love seems to be getting toned down a little. After all, the first book was insta-lust that magically became love and living together. The second book at least had intense get-to-know-you periods and the living together was due to safety. This one has intense emotions, but no declaration of love after 3 days of mostly sleeping. At least the initial strong emotional attraction is believable, and they seem to be happy with being an item and seeing where things go.

I haven't looked ahead, so am going to have to check to see what couple is featured next. I don't read these books closely, and they are pretty fast, so I'm not minding the lack of reality too much. They're entertaining anyway.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 607 comments I agree, the team should have been made aware of the danger they were facing if Merritt was a good guy. But, in the first book is said that the plan was changed on him. I think he was either double crossed or outright assassinated by whoever he was dealing with.

I find them somewhat entertaining and I'm not reading them to closely either. They are not of the caliber of a Sandra Brown or a Pamela Clare book where you really enjoy each and every page. There is a lot of rehash in the dialogue and that gets boring real fast.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hard to Hold on To (other topics)