The Sword and Laser discussion

Andre Norton
This topic is about Andre Norton
2016 Reads > TTT: Old interviews with Andre Norton

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments So back in late 80s/early 90s Canada, we had a public broadcasting TV series on science fiction, fantasy, and comic books called Prisoners of Gravity. The format was built around discussing major topics or themes related to SF&F/comics by piecing together interviews with various authors, creators, and luminaries of those genres and media. PoG introduced me to a lot of SF&F writers, including Norton, and she's featured in the two clips below at the age of about 81.

S4E17 "Racism" (2:22)

S5E22 "Sexism and Feminism" (10:05) (The audio's not great on this one.)

message 2: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Oh goodness. "Commander Rick" there has an arm keyboard.

I like that her answer to "why put in minority characters" was basically "because it was long overdue". And "I have friends who are".

message 3: by David (new)

David | 23 comments Joe Informatico wrote: "So back in late 80s/early 90s Canada, we had a public broadcasting TV series on science fiction, fantasy, and comic books called Prisoners of Gravity. The format was built around discussing major t..."

Great find Joe! I thought Time Traders fit nicely into what she described as "adventure stories." Some books transcend the historical contexts in which they are written, TT doesn't - but learning a bit about that context makes me appreciate the book more.