Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Off Topic > Other Reading Challenge Groups?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2364 comments I love reading challenges and am interested in participating in other challenges, especially because I only have a handful of books left to read for AtY and PopSugar. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my year.

So two questions:

1. Do you participate in other reading challenge groups on Goodreads? Do you like the groups?
2. What are your reading plans if you finish AtY early? Will you start a new reading challenge? Do you have other challenges in work to finish?

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2364 comments 1. I just discovered a group called The Seasonal Reading Challenge, which I'm pretty excited about. They do 4 challenges per year, one for each season. That helps to keep things new, and I don't have to carry around boring prompts all through the year. It's a very regimented group. Each prompt has a point value assigned, and you earn points as you complete the prompts. The reward for wracking up points is the you get to create a prompt in the next challenge. I just joined the group last month, but it seems really fun.

2. I'm still trying to decide what to do when I finish AtY and PopSugar. I think I have about 8 books left to read for each challenge. I have a number of other challenges in progress. I just have to decide which one I'm serious about finishing.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2811 comments I'm part of a few other groups, although I have to say that this one is my favourite just because we are all so involved in the discussions.

I'm part of the group for Book Riot, the Ultimate PopSugar Challenge group, and a group called 2016 Reading Challenge which has many, many challenges (most of which I'm not involved in). I only joined the Book Riot group recently so I don't really have an opinion on it yet. The PopSugar group is a good community too, but seems there is usually more discussion going on here so I tend to visit this group more. The 2016 Reading Challenge group is a bit overwhelming since there are yearly, monthly and quarterly challenges all going on at once. It would be impossible to participate in all of them.

I am well on my way with ATY, but I am also doing PopSugar and this year's and last year's BookRiot challenges so I don't think I'll be finishing anything any time soon. If I do, I would probably start working on the rejects list from last year.

message 4: by °~Amy~° (last edited Jul 24, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3250 comments I am in this group and the Ulitimate Popsugar group. I visit this page several times a day. Popsugar I have visited maybe twice since I joined a few months ago. I keep a log of my popsugar challenge list/books here so I really have no reason to go to the other page.

I have completed the AtY challenge and am about 40% finished with Popsugar. When that is finished I will probably do the 2016 Bookriot challenge or a mini variation on our reject list. I will track that here as well.

Oh and I am doing the a-z author and title challenges using books that I read for AtY or Popsugar. No books can be on both A-Z challenges however. When I need a book to fill a spot for Popsugar I will make sure it fits a slot I need filled in one of my A-Z challenges. Just a fun way to add a little extra challenge to my own reading.

message 5: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments I'm participating in The Seasonal Reading Challenge. I've been a member of the group since last Spring, I think, but I haven't completed a whole season yet. I would have to read an awful lot of books in three months. But I like the challenges, because there's so much variation.
I'm also a member of the 2016 Reading Challenge. I don't participate in all their challenges, but I've chosen those I thought sounded fun and challenging but realistic.

I'm pretty sure I won't finish ATY early, but if I did I would just continue with the two groups, and then I have a few lists and personal challenges I'm also working on.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1177 comments The only other group I'm in that is quasi-challenge related is Around the World. It's just for reading different books from different places. People post their plans and create custom challenges or "journeys."

message 7: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 1781 comments Consider the Reading With Style Group on Good Reads...... every season...the latest season started yesterday, 20 categories are announced...bonuses given for completing the challenge or meeting the season's "style" goals. Also a sub-challenge with 10 more categories.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen Doing several challenges in the "Wacky Challenge." group.