YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Diabolic (The Diabolic, #1)
This topic is about The Diabolic
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > The Diabolic Series by S.J. Kincaid - Restarting April 3rd 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Red Queen meets The Hunger Games in this epic novel about what happens when the galaxy’s most deadly weapon masquerades as a senator’s daughter and a hostage of the galactic court.

A Diabolic is ruthless. A Diabolic is powerful. A Diabolic has a single task: Kill in order to protect the person you’ve been created for.

Nemesis is a Diabolic, a humanoid teenager created to protect a galactic senator’s daughter, Sidonia. The two have grown up side by side, but are in no way sisters. Nemesis is expected to give her life for Sidonia, and she would do so gladly. She would also take as many lives as necessary to keep Sidonia safe.

When the power-mad Emperor learns Sidonia’s father is participating in a rebellion, he summons Sidonia to the Galactic court. She is to serve as a hostage. Now, there is only one way for Nemesis to protect Sidonia. She must become her. Nemesis travels to the court disguised as Sidonia—a killing machine masquerading in a world of corrupt politicians and two-faced senators’ children. It’s a nest of vipers with threats on every side, but Nemesis must keep her true abilities a secret or risk everything.

As the Empire begins to fracture and rebellion looms closer, Nemesis learns there is something more to her than just deadly force. She finds a humanity truer than what she encounters from most humans. Amidst all the danger, action, and intrigue, her humanity just might be the thing that saves her life—and the empire.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Through chapter 4. I'm not entirely sure what I think at this point. Nemesis is an interesting character, and I like the concept, but certain things don't seem as fleshed out as I would like them.

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments I'll try to start tonight -- we just got back home from a month-long trip.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Hope you had fun on your trip, TJ!

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Through chapter 14. (view spoiler)

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments C P wrote: "Hope you had fun on your trip, TJ!"
It was great, thanks, C P!

I was going to start this book last night, but I discovered too late that I didn't have it on my Kindle -- forgot that most of S&S's books are epub. Got that converted just now and read the prologue. Looks interesting. The premise is intriguing.
(view spoiler)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Did you convert it to read on your kindle? If so, how? I really don't like reading on my computer but have never been able to get it to work on my computer.

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments C P wrote: "Did you convert it to read on your kindle? If so, how? I really don't like reading on my computer but have never been able to get it to work on my computer."

Yes, I downloaded the free program Calibre. It can convert almost anything to anything. The converted-to-kindle versions are not always as aesthetically pleasing as a formatted .mobi file, but it works well enough. You can also get rid of the expiration date that some of the netgalley files have as well using Calibre.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments I have Calibre, but it won't convert them because they have DRM. :/

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments TJ wrote: "Yes, I downloaded the free program Calibre. It can convert almost anything to anything. The converted-to-kindle versions are not always as aesthetically pleasing as a formatted .mobi file, but it works well enough. You can also get rid of the expiration date that some of the netgalley files have as well using Calibre.."

Interesting, may have to see how that works. I use the Blue Fire reader on my Kindle to be able to read them on there but I'm still not a fan of not having actual mobi copies that I can adjust the font etc better.

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Chapter 3 (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Chapter 4 (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Chapter 10 (view spoiler)

message 14: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Carrie wrote: "Chapter 10 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 15: by T.J. (last edited Sep 06, 2016 04:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments C P wrote: "I have Calibre, but it won't convert them because they have DRM. :/"

In that case I run them through a program called "ePUBee DRM Removal" -- it's also free. The files go to a folder called "Decrypt" and then I use Calibre to open them from the "Decrypt" folder.

Download here:
http://download.epubee.com/epubee_v3....

Then I convert them to .mobi and voilà!

It's actually a lot less work than it seems. I do it automatically every time I download a bunch of books from Netgalley. I just drag them from "My Digital Editions" folder into the ePUBee DRM Removal program. I have to do that so that they don't expire. Then I open them in Calibre so that I have all my books in one nice neat place. If I then need to convert, I can.

message 16: by T.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Carrie wrote: "Interesting, may have to see how that works. I use the Blue Fire reader on my Kindle to be able to read them on there but I'm still not a fan of not having actual mobi copies that I can adjust the font etc better."

Oh, ya. Definitely give it a try, Carrie. Sometimes the spacing comes out a little strange, but for "The Diabolic" the conversion came out very nicely -- chapter listings and everything included.

message 17: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Thanks, TJ! I'll check that out.

message 18: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Through chapter 23. (view spoiler)

message 19: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Thanks, TJ! That worked wonderfully.

message 20: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Through chapter 31. (view spoiler)

message 21: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Through chapter 40. (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments C P wrote: "Through chapter 23. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 23: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Just finished. Really enjoyed this. (view spoiler)

message 24: by T.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments C P wrote: "Thanks, TJ! I'll check that out."

Any luck?

Sorry I'm so behind. Life got in the way of reading this week. Being gone from home for over a month left me with tons to do here before my semester starts...

4 stars, C P? Nice! I'm looking forward to chatting.

I can't look at either of your spoilers yet, but I hope to read some tonight (if I don't fall asleep first ;) ).

Anyway here are some of my thoughts on the first 2 chapters:

Chapter 1-2 (8%)
(view spoiler)

message 25: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments TJ, that DRM removal tool worked excellently, so thank you! It made reading this a lot easier and consequently more enjoyable, I'm sure.

I did really enjoy it! I haven't read the Insignia trilogy yet, but now I really want to do so.

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Chapter 44 (view spoiler)

message 27: by T.J. (last edited Sep 11, 2016 03:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments C P wrote: "TJ, that DRM removal tool worked excellently, so thank you! It made reading this a lot easier and consequently more enjoyable, I'm sure."

Super! I had put off reading the S&S books because they weren't Kindle, but now I am catching up!

C P wrote: "I did really enjoy it! I haven't read the Insignia trilogy yet, but now I really want to do so. "

I'm really enjoying this book so far! It's really well-written and extremely exciting. I haven't read the Insignia series yet either, but I'll put them on my list. :D

message 28: by T.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Carrie wrote: "Chapter 3 [spoilers removed]"
(view spoiler)

message 29: by T.J. (last edited Sep 11, 2016 02:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments C P wrote: "Through chapter 4."
Carrie wrote: "Chapter 4 [spoilers removed]"
(view spoiler)

message 30: by T.J. (last edited Sep 11, 2016 03:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Chapter 7 (17%)
Oooooooh, this just got interesting! (I mean even more interesting)!

I am really enjoying this story so far. I find the concept original and the writing keeps it moving along at an exciting pace.
(view spoiler)

message 31: by T.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Chapter 10 (22%)
(view spoiler)

message 32: by T.J. (last edited Sep 13, 2016 06:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments C P wrote: "Chapter 10 [spoilers removed]"
Carrie wrote: "Chapter 10 [spoilers removed]"
(view spoiler)

message 33: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments I'm glad you're enjoying this, TJ!

message 34: by T.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments C P wrote: "I'm glad you're enjoying this, TJ!"

Thanks, C P! Sorry I'm so behind in my reading schedule. I hope we can discuss it when I get further along... :D

message 35: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Definitely! I'll try and keep an eye on this thread. :)

message 36: by T.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments C P wrote: "Definitely! I'll try and keep an eye on this thread. :)"
Great! Because this book is excellent! :D

message 37: by T.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Chapter 13 (30%)
(view spoiler)

message 38: by T.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments C P wrote: "Through chapter 14. [spoilers removed]"
(view spoiler)

message 39: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments TJ wrote: "Chapter 13 (30%)"

(view spoiler)

message 40: by T.J. (last edited Sep 15, 2016 12:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments This is really, really exciting!

C P wrote: "Through chapter 23. [spoilers removed]" (48%)
(view spoiler)

message 41: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Yes! Well, I'm sure there are more surprises coming your way. :D

message 42: by T.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments C P wrote: "Yes! Well, I'm sure there are more surprises coming your way. :D"

Ooooh, yay! So good to know!

message 43: by T.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Chapter 44 (85%)
(view spoiler)

message 44: by T.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Chapter 47 (92%)
(view spoiler)

message 45: by T.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Chapter 48 (94%)
(view spoiler)

message 46: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments TJ wrote: "Chapter 48 (94%)"

I know! (view spoiler)

message 47: by T.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments Finished -- exciting climax!

message 48: by T.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

T.J. Burns | 2721 comments C P wrote: "TJ wrote: "Chapter 48 (94%)"

I know! [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 49: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Very true. Glad you enjoyed it!

message 50: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments *******************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 18th of September 2017

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.