North & South discussion

Group Stuff > Group Read 2016

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca, ~Look back. Look back at me...~ (new)

Rebecca May | 1272 comments Mod
Hi Everyone ~

I realize I've been shockingly absent lately, but Trudy and I thought it might be time to get the group chatting again with a new group read later this year. :) I'd love to hear what you ladies think of the idea - any suggestions for books or timing of the group read? Let us know!

Depending on the suggestions we can have a poll on what book to read or just decide here, we'll see how it goes. :)

From the Mods:
~Becca and Trudy~

message 2: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 294 comments Yes, please! But I do not have a ready suggestion at the moment. I've been absent from the classics reading world this year.

message 3: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Brasure | 442 comments Mod
There are three books written at about the same as N&S that involve the Industrial Revolution setting in regard to mills, poverty, etc.: Mary Barton

Shirley

Hard Times

There is Cranford or Sylvia's Lovers by Gaskell.

Any other suggestions are welcome. What would you like to read together?

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 123 comments I'd like to read "Mary Barton."

message 5: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 294 comments Mary Barton could be interesting, since it's her first. I'd like to see how she'd written it and compare it to her masterpiece N&S.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary I'd love to read Mary Barton too. Just checked out the premise and I think it sounds good!

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1 comments There is a sequel to north and south. It is called Northern Rain A North & South Variation by Nicole Clarkston

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary A sequel??? Really??? Didn't know that!! What's it called!

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate | 5 comments Invictus: The Double Face Invisible God by Athira Bhargavan.

mysterious, crime and thriller book. Recently read that and its so amazing.

ANYONE ESLE read that ?

message 10: by Trudy (new)

Patricia wrote: "There is a sequel to north and south. It is called Northern Rain A North & South Variation by Nicole Clarkston"
A sequel continues the story. This newly published story is a variation--it changes a premise somewhere in the original story. It's not a sequel, though.

But do check out several N&S stories that have been published. Some have good ratings, like this one.

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary Apologies-I misinterpreted your message. I
read Northern Rain and I loved it!

message 12: by Rebecca, ~Look back. Look back at me...~ (new)

So, so far our main options are Mary Barton or Northern Rain? Great! :) If anyone else has any other suggestions though, do please let us know!

Also, what would people prefer in terms of timing for the group read?

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate | 5 comments Becca wrote: "So, so far our main options are Mary Barton or Northern Rain? Great! :) If anyone else has any other suggestions though, do please let us know!

Also, what would people prefer in terms of timing fo..."

I really want this book Invictus: The Double Face Invisible God by Athira Bhargavan.

message 14: by Clorinda (new)

Clorinda Cardillo | 44 comments Hi everyone

message 15: by Rebecca, ~Look back. Look back at me...~ (new)

Hi Clorinda :)

message 16: by Clorinda (new)

Clorinda Cardillo | 44 comments Hi Becca :-)

What happened to the rest of my message? LOL ... I swear I typed more than "Hi everyone" :-)

Actually, I asked if we were staying within the North & South time period or if we were branching out and suggesting contemporary books?

Hope all of you are enjoying your summer.

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate | 5 comments Clorinda wrote: "Hi everyone "

hello :-)

message 18: by Trudy (last edited Jul 24, 2016 10:20PM) (new)

Hi Clorinda!
We could read whatever the group wants, but I was thinking we should keep in mind the title of the group. I suppose that's why I was thinking any book we choose should have at least some connection to N&S.

:)

message 19: by Clorinda (new)

Clorinda Cardillo | 44 comments Gotcha

message 20: by Seema (new)

Seema Khan (seemakhan) | 1 comments Mary Barton!

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate (kwolicki) | 152 comments I really found Mary Baryon thought-provoking, and I might read it again, especially over a looooong timeline.

message 22: by Rebecca, ~Look back. Look back at me...~ (new)

Seems like Mary Barton is the popular choice then! Does anyone has a preference as to the timing of the group read? :)

message 23: by Trudy (new)

Mary Barton it is! Let's start mid-September. I'll post the few chapters open for discussion on September 12th.
Plenty of time to order the paperback if you want to read it that way.
This is Gaskell's first novel, and it has much in relation to N&S. More mill workers and strife between the classes.
Please spread the word and join us.

message 24: by Mary (new)

Mary Cheers,Trudy. Am heading back to work next week,so although I mightn't be reading the book in step with ye,I'll be sure to stop and read all the comments!

message 25: by Julie (new)

Julie Booth | 1 comments I have bought my copy of Mary Barton can't wait to start it!

message 26: by Emilia (new)

Emilia Barnes | 20 comments Same here, looking forward to it!

message 27: by Rebecca, ~Look back. Look back at me...~ (new)

Sounds great Trudy - and thanks everyone for the enthusiasm! I'll set up a group event invitation for anyone who hasn't been following the thread. :)

message 28: by Trudy (new)

Mary--hope you can join us whenever you can.
Julie, Emilia - glad you're looking forward to it!
I'm looking forward to re-reading it and gleaning even more from it.