Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > IF you voted for "feminism" . . .

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anita (last edited Jul 22, 2016 10:07AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments The polling has really slowed down, and no choice has reached the magic 50% mark.

IF YOU VOTED FOR "feminism", I need you to recast your vote for one of the two remaining options. Your prior vote will be deleted completely and any participation points you cast toward "feminism" will be returned to you.

If you have not yet voted at all, you may continue to cast your vote through 12 pm on July 26th.

Here's the link!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/53CBHMZ

If you have any questions about this process, please ask them below before casting your vote.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Done

message 3: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments Oh no... That means dark is still up for choosing!

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate | 91 comments I couldn't remember what I voted for so I clicked through to the survey again. Oh yeah I voted for feminism, sigh, not going to enjoy the August tag.

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Kate wrote: "I couldn't remember what I voted for so I clicked through to the survey again. Oh yeah I voted for feminism, sigh, not going to enjoy the August tag."

So sorry AJ and Kate . . .you know, it's the whole expanding your horizons thing ;).

I'm hoping for dark myself (surprise), but entertainment is a pretty broad category!

message 6: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1496 comments AJ wrote: "Oh no... That means dark is still up for choosing!"

:D

message 7: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Anita wrote: "Kate wrote: "I couldn't remember what I voted for so I clicked through to the survey again. Oh yeah I voted for feminism, sigh, not going to enjoy the August tag."

So sorry AJ and Kate . . .you kn..."

I voted for dark because I thought it would generate the most interesting reviews. I have two books on my TBR that have been tagged with both of the two remaining tags. I'll be happy with either of them.

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Sorry, I recast my vote for dark. But if you look at the book options it should give you a lot of flexibility

message 9: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Kate wrote: "I couldn't remember what I voted for so I clicked through to the survey again. Oh yeah I voted for feminism, sigh, not going to enjoy the August tag."

The whole point of Play Book Tag is to try and go outside our usual reads, to try new things. I've read one book for every tag we have had for eight years and there have been many I wasn't thrilled about, but I gave it a shot and more often than not I ended up liking the book I chose. Once the tag is announced everyone is asked to recommend a book to fit the tag and maybe you can find one of those recommendations that might appeal to you. Hopefully.

message 10: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments I will find something as it looks like that will be the tag. Just have had a terrible reading year and I envision it taking me the whole month to read one book.

message 11: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6653 comments Dang, the other two don't excite me right now, but I voted anyway.

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate | 91 comments I know I may be in the minority here, after all books that I adore many of you would probably never even crack the cover of. There's a book about vultures on the shelf next to me that I've been saving for a rainy day...

I've always figured the whole expanding horizons thing applies to trying new things which I'm all for. In the spirit of which I was recently poking around for any remotely interesting manga title to try. I've read untold thousands of books in my life, enough to know that entertainment bores me silly. I'm sure that I can find something that 'fits' to read that won't kill me but may not bother. And I can guarantee that whatever draws me to the book in question will not be any tie in to entertainment.

As for 'dark' it's not something I seek out, I've appreciated many books that have been tagged dark, but as a general rule the types of books that carry the label depress and sometimes disgust me. Not emotions I willingly seek out. I reacted the way I did because when I looked at the top shelf for each topic I saw literally nothing that I wanted to read.

Could be worse, could be self-help v paranormal romance.

message 13: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6653 comments Kate wrote: "I know I may be in the minority here, after all books that I adore many of you would probably never even crack the cover of. There's a book about vultures on the shelf next to me that I've been sav..."

It looks like their entertainment shelf includes books made into movies, so some of those might work for you.

Having said that I have a sneaking suspicion that dark is going to be the tag and like you I don't love those. I used to read them, but now generally avoid them.

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9159 comments I wouldn't prefer it if dark got picked - that's not my thing. But I can't say enough about how pleased I've been that this group through these tags have exposed me to things, or encouraged me to pick up something I wouldn't have necessarily got to. I'm a huge fan of the invitation to literary diversity that I've encountered. So, I feel quite excited to see what happens next! I'm all Go PBT these days-

message 15: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6653 comments I voted entertainment because I have a good number of those, but I'm not excited about it as we have been reading memoirs this month.

I'm sure I can find a book that is suitably dark but one I will find enjoyable.

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 430 comments Shux, I was really looking forward to challenging myself with a book of feminism. Oh well, I'd be happy with either of the other two choices as well :) Thanks for all the hard work Anita!

message 17: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Kate, paranormal romance vs self-help - HILARIOUS!

I'm cheerleading for dark over here. My favourite!

message 18: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Kate wrote: "I know I may be in the minority here, after all books that I adore many of you would probably never even crack the cover of. There's a book about vultures on the shelf next to me that I've been sav..."

In my opinion, a book on vultures could easily be tagged dark. They aren't exactly bluebirds of happiness.

message 19: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6653 comments Denizen wrote: "In my opinion, a book on vultures could easily be tagged dark. They aren't exactly bluebirds of happiness. "

I need that like button.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I didn't vote this month because I didn't have a strong preference. I always end up adding more books than I can read in a month in the monthly "recommendations" thread.

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I love gothic, and sometimes gothic is shelved as dark. I will probably go that route.

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate | 91 comments Denizen wrote: "In my opinion, a book on vultures could easily be tagged dark. They aren't exactly bluebirds of happiness. "

Hah, actually I find them delightful but if the majority shares your opinion then half of my problem is solved, I have my "dark" book picked out already :)

message 23: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Chiming in here. As a huge bird lover, vultures = dark.

chickadee = not dark
bluebird = not dark
raven = dark

message 24: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Thanks Amy and Nicole for the unconditional PBT love.

message 25: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Kate wrote: "I know I may be in the minority here, after all books that I adore many of you would probably never even crack the cover of. There's a book about vultures on the shelf next to me that I've been sav..."

We have over 100 books in common, so although I may not read a book on vultures, it doesn't mean we wouldn't have some books we would both like.

message 26: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6653 comments Anita wrote: "Thanks Amy and Nicole for the unconditional PBT love."

I'll add a ditto of appreciation, since I'm griping about the choices, I want you to know I appreciate the effort and the stretching of my vulture wings...now where is some dead meat?

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate | 91 comments I'll have you all know that I spent the intervening hours between my complaining message #12 and message #22 with my favorite vultures and they were delightful company! If any of you are ever in Washington D.C. look me up and I'll introduce you, we'll bring you over to the not-dark side. #LoveVultures
description
And I double ditto the appreciation of all of the hard work

message 28: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6653 comments Kate wrote: "I'll have you all know that I spent the intervening hours between my complaining message #12 and message #22 with my favorite vultures and they were delightful company! If any of you are ever in Wa..."

Kate, do you work at the zoo? How do you know these vultures?

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate | 91 comments Yes I work at the zoo and the Rueppell's griffon vultures Tuck and Natalie are two of my favorite birds, you just have to look beyond the bad press to get to know them. Granted they are not adorable like a chickadee or blue but they are loaded with personality. Let's not be colorist.

message 30: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6653 comments Kate wrote: "Yes I work at the zoo and the Rueppell's griffon vultures Tuck and Natalie are two of my favorite birds, you just have to look beyond the bad press to get to know them. Granted they are not adorabl..."

That is great! I love finding out about animals... I readThe Bluebird Effect: Uncommon Bonds with Common Birds and the author talked about rescuing a vulture. It was a pretty humorous story.

message 31: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5129 comments Ack, I don't remember what I voted for! Except I know it was NOT dark. Anita, could you check and let me know if I need to vote again?

message 32: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments I was looking at the tag dark over at LibraryThing and there is a wide variety. It even looks like a person could pick a book with dark in the title. So children's books about night could be an option for those that don't want to read "dark" in the conventional sense. I really will struggle if entertainment is picked as reading books by entertainment people and about entertainment careers is low on my list. I don't think I've ever missed a tag and if so only one so I will be making an effort no matter what. I did not vote for feminism. But I only cast 1 vote. I am willing to go add more votes to tip the scale?????

message 33: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Kristel- I feel the same way about entertainment. It was the one I didn't want but if you look at the shelf there are lots of options there too and they aren't all about the entertainment industry (or by the entertainment industry folks). Still fingers crossed for "dark"

message 34: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6273 comments Well, my indigo bunting is feeling a little left out of the "vulture" love fest ....
But we have several "dark" books on the tbr we can manage if that's the winner.

message 35: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9159 comments Looks like it will be dark,but I found plenty in Entertainment. 100 Years of Solitude Was on the list, and I've actually never read that. As was the Outlander Series, which I also wanted an excuse to try. Its broader than the industry. There were some classics in the list. And of course the Harry Potters, and all the YA books. It honk it was a lot of pop culture books. Like I felt it was kind of a personal entertainment list. The Wicked Series was there as well, as the Immortal Lufe of Henrietta Locks, which I've also never read. I wonder if Wicked counts as dark? I found I'd made a note of a book and tagged it dark, once I knew of the possibility. So I may have one to pull. But I really think - whatever it is, there will be something for everybody.

message 36: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments Jen wrote: "Kristel- I feel the same way about entertainment. It was the one I didn't want but if you look at the shelf there are lots of options there too and they aren't all about the entertainment industry ..."

I had noticed that here on GR it is a little more broad. When searching LT it is not as broad and sticks more to the "entertaining industry". If entertainment won, which I doubt, I will use the broader view found at GR.

message 37: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9159 comments Oh - hello, Americanah is on the list for Entertainment. So is Gone With the Wind. And the Art of War. Plus a bunch of books I'd read with my kids. The Clan of the Cave Bear Series, which I would like to read again someday, so I can add the belated book six. Would anybody believe that a reader like me, has yet to have read some of the titles listed in the last two posts? I wouldn't fear if its entertainment. Those of us anti-dark have more to fear… lol.

message 38: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2283 comments Amy wrote: "I wouldn't prefer it if dark got picked - that's not my thing. But I can't say enough about how pleased I've been that this group through these tags have exposed me to things, or encouraged me to p..."

My first tag - back in 2008 - was dragons! I thought, what the heck am I going to do. I don't read much fantasy and I certainly don't care about dragons - that's my son's realm. Well, I read three books about dragons that I truly liked. Again - outside my zone! I'm not crazy about "dark" but I'll find something for sure. Can't wait to see the recommendations.

message 39: by Ellen (last edited Jul 23, 2016 08:40AM) (new)

Ellen | 2281 comments Barbara wrote: My first tag - back in 2008 - was dragons! I thought, what the heck am I going to do.

Mine was poetry! I dreaded it but ended up discovering the charming Judith Viorst and her poems.

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9159 comments Just picked up at the Library, When Mockingbirds Sing, in the likely event that it's Dark. Plus four other juicy titles I'm so excited about!

message 41: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2283 comments Amy wrote: "Just picked up at the Library, When Mockingbirds Sing, in the likely event that it's Dark. Plus four other juicy titles I'm so excited about!"

See if they've got The Book of Lost Things - it's tagged dark but I loved it.

message 42: by Tanya D (new)

Tanya D (tdrosebud) | 96 comments Kate wrote: "Yes I work at the zoo and the Rueppell's griffon vultures Tuck and Natalie are two of my favorite birds, you just have to look beyond the bad press to get to know them. Granted they are not adorabl..."

I work at a zoo as well, and I believe we have 2 different vulture species. I'm not sure but Rueppell's might be one of them. They're in our Africa plains mixed exhibit. I personally think they are pretty cool looking birds.

message 43: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Kate, I am in Baltimore, but I would love to come down to DC and meet the vultures!!!!! I keep wanting to get down to the zoo there anyway . . .

message 44: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments annapi, please just try to vote again. if it lets you, you voted feminist. if it doesn't, you voted entertainment. so long as you use the same computer/device!

message 45: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9159 comments Don't know much about vultures, but who doesn't love a tip from a librarian! Friends, I am starting the Last Dance of Mata Hari by Michele Moran. Far as i can tell I'll be the first amongst us to read it. Jealous, anyone? Can't wait, and can't wait to share it!

message 46: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Love that we have two zoo employees - - so cool!!

message 47: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Well, my indigo bunting is feeling a little left out of the "vulture" love fest ....
But we have several "dark" books on the tbr we can manage if that's the winner."

Apropos of nothing, I saw my very first indigo bunting this year! They are so pretty.

message 48: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8907 comments Anita wrote: "Chiming in here. As a huge bird lover..."

I'm just about to post my biography review for Life List: A Woman's Quest for the World's Most Amazing Birds. I wonder if you might like it, Anita?

message 49: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8907 comments Anita wrote: "Love that we have two zoo employees - - so cool!!"

I recently applied for a job at the zoo here, but sadly, didn't get an interview. :-( I would love to work... even if not directly with animals, in an environment filled with animals would do. :-)

message 50: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Anita wrote: "Chiming in here. As a huge bird lover..."

I'm just about to post my biography review for Life List: A Woman's Quest for the World's Most Amazing Birds. I wonder if you..."

Oh, I will keep a special lookout for your review, Cindy. It sounds awesome!

« previous 1