Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Amazon...why do you change my price...why???

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments I know, I know, I'm such a drama queen *smirks*

Okay, it's not actually a huge deal but I listed my book at $3.99 and it's always been totally fine. Today, it's been lowered to $3.85 through the power of...um...magic?

Does anyone know if I can fix this? And how I can prevent it in the future?

I know it's not a price match because the only other place I have it listed is Kobo, and it's still $3.99 there, sooo...*blinks*

Thanks so much for the help, guys!!!

Hugs,
Ann

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 787 comments That's Amazon's way of enticing people that they're getting a deal. You still get the same amount of royalties that you would at your listed price. You can't change it but it'll go back to your listed price eventually.

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Mr Justin: Ohhhh, thank you for letting me know!!

Um. If Amazon wants people to think they're getting a deal, perhaps they should show it at a "discounted" price (like with a slash through the original price or whatevs) instead of just changing it? Silly, silly, Zon god...

Thanks again, good sir!!

Hugs,
Ann

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Copsey (ian_d_copsey) | 69 comments Assuming this is Kindle, if you base your price on CAD you may find the USD price change due to any significant change in exchange rates. I've noted that on my book - particularly after Brexit!

message 5: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Mr Ian: Yes, it's Kindle (totally should've clarified that hahaha) But no, I actually base the price on USD and manually change the Canadian price.

.com: $3.99 US
.ca: $4.99 CA

Same-same for both KDP and Kobo...

Stop it!! *strangles Amazon* No means no!!! Okay. I feel better now ^_~

Thanks for the insight, Mr Ian!

Hugs,
Ann

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Your price is $3.99. For some reason,you'll occasionally see a price that is slightly different (it may or may not sync up with the exchange rate) if you're looking at amazon.com from outside the US. It's done this for a while. I've got several friends who have asked me to check their price from time to time because they show weird numbers.

Now, one thing that Amazon might do is actually put your book on sale. If they do, they send you a notice well in advance and you probably won't get too upset because it means a feature in their ad. Honestly though, it's been years since I've heard of any Indies getting that kind of magical bump.

message 7: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Miss Christina: Eeek! Thank you for checking!! That makes sense now. Well, not really on their part LOL

Okay, not to derail my own question hahahahaha but...

When we did Hash's Bash, I received this email:

I came across your book on one of the daily email offers I get but was unable to take advantage of the deal because I don’t have a kindle. But as soon as I read the blurb, I new I had to have the book. Unfortunately, I was in England and due to technical difficulties, unable to transfer it to my kobo until I returned home. So yesterday at noon I downloaded your book and finished it this AM (lucky for me I was on vacation or I’m sure I would have been fired for reading at work).

Soooo, does that mean Amazon stuck me on an ad? Because I changed the price myself and it wasn't even a "discount" since I don't have Select...

*scratches head**takes promo hand out from the Zon??**happily eats cookies**

Hugs,
Ann

message 8: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Hm, that could be or it might have been our email. Not sure.

message 9: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Huh. I don't wanna pester the reader (she's not one of the original possums) but I'll remember to ask her when I sent out ARCs next month. She can't be annoyed with me when she's getting a book, right? Riiiight? *smirks*

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 364 comments Annie wrote: "I know, I know, I'm such a drama queen *smirks*

Okay, it's not actually a huge deal but I listed my book at $3.99 and it's always been totally fine. Today, it's been lowered to $3.85 through the p..."

Are your books available elsewhere? That kind of price change is almost always due to price-matching.

message 11: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Mr Ken: I'm gonna be tacky as shizz and quote myself haha...

"I know it's not a price match because the only other place I have it listed is Kobo, and it's still $3.99 there, sooo...*blinks*

But, yeah, Miss Christina already figured it out. Thanks for your help, good sir!

Hugs,
Ann

message 12: by Ken (last edited Jul 23, 2016 05:35AM) (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 364 comments Annie wrote: "@Mr Ken: I'm gonna be tacky as shizz and quote myself haha...

"I know it's not a price match because the only other place I have it listed is Kobo, and it's still $3.99 there, sooo...*blinks*

But..."

Sorry...I'll blame it on the coffee (or lack thereof) :)

Although...since you mentioned Kobo:

I had this happen to one of my books a while back, and I was similarly confused. I contacted Amazon, and it turned out that it was one of Kobo's sub-distributors they were price-matching.

message 13: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Mr Ken: LMAO! Don't even worry!! I can't remember 1/2 the stuff I say ^_~

Ah, gotcha! Well, Miss Christina was kind enough to check and turns out it's not a price-match this time, but I'm sure it'll happen at some point, eh? Thanks, good sir!!

Hugs,
Ann

message 14: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments @Miss Christina: Sooo... *grins sheepishly* ...I caved and emailed the reader early. She was 100% awesome about it! Anyhoo, I thought I should share with ya.

It was either Bookshark or Bookbub; she's leaning toward the former. I have zero clue as to how I ended up on there, though. I never submitted anything to an advertising site (free or paid) but hey! I ain't complaining!! ^_^

Hugs,
Ann

message 15: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 153 comments Won't be Bookbub then as you have to a) provide a big pile of cash and b) pass the entry criteria by having various numbers of high rated reviews on Amazon for them even to consider putting you in their emails, at least that's my understanding. So I don't think you could've done that without noticing ;-)