Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Recommendations - Philippe d'Orléans HF

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz Gibson | 42 comments Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good historical fiction books centering around Philippe, Duc d'Orléans (brother of Louis XVI)?

Thanks in advance!!
Liz

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 23 comments I can't think of any where he's the central character, but in Before Versailles: A Novel of Louis XIV he is a secondary character.

message 3: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) Liz wrote: "Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good historical fiction books centering around Philippe, Duc d'Orléans (brother of Louis XVI)?

Thanks in advance!!
Liz"

Hi Liz, I'm a little bit confused - did you mean King Louis XIV or Louis the 15th?

I recently finished a series of books set during the reign of Louis XIV by

Sandra Gulland where Philippe was also a minor character.

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz Gibson | 42 comments Ugh, typo!!! I meant Louis XIV, obviously!!! Grr. Do you mean Mistress of the Sun?

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz Gibson | 42 comments And thanks, Margaret! I haven't read that yet!!

message 6: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) Liz wrote: "Ugh, typo!!! I meant Louis XIV, obviously!!! Grr. Do you mean Mistress of the Sun?"

Yes, Mistress of the Sun with the sequel; The Shadow Queen.

I loved both of these books. The author didn't just focus on Louis's love life but governmental issues as making for a well rounded book about the reign of Louis XIV. His brother Philippe was a prominent character in both novels.

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz Gibson | 42 comments Yes!!! I absolutely loved those!! Sandra Gulland is an amazing author.

message 8: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) I hope there will be a 3rd book in this series.

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz Gibson | 42 comments ME TOO!!! :)