Read for the Win with Alpha Park Library! discussion

Surprising Reads!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison (new)

Allison | 19 comments So I just read Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld. It kept popping up as a suggested read on various places but it didn't really sound like my thing. But due to lack of anything else available and being narrated by an actor I liked, I gave it a shot... And you know what? It was awesome!

Has anyone else read something they thought they wouldn't like, but ended up pleasantly surprised by a good book? Please share!

message 2: by William (new)

William | 4 comments Allison wrote: "So I just read Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld. It kept popping up as a suggested read on various places but it didn't really sound like my thing. But due to lack of anything else available and being..."

I actually tried reading leviathan a while back but it kind of lost me. wasn't a huge fan of the way it was written, but I should give it a second shot!

One book that immediately comes to mind is the book A Separate Peace. Not a huge fan of literary fiction or classics, but this is one of my favorites. Was required to read it in high school, but it was great. We just got a really nice copy at the library!

message 3: by Alpha (last edited Jul 21, 2016 10:28AM) (new)

Alpha Park | 2 comments Mod
Years ago I read an Incredible Hulk paperback. It was not something I would have picked up, but my uncle left it at our house and I had nothing else to read, so....It was fantastic! I read it in days (back when I didn't have a job or life outside of school). I was very surprised how much I enjoyed it. -- Heidi

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jacobsen-Wood (jenjw4) | 19 comments I've always wondered about westerns. I've never read one, and they aren't my cup of tea, but I really feel like I SHOULD read one, at least once. :)

message 5: by Allison (new)

Allison | 19 comments William wrote: "Allison wrote: "So I just read Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld. It kept popping up as a suggested read on various places but it didn't really sound like my thing. But due to lack of anything else ava..."

The audio is amazing! the biggest issue I had at first was trying to picture the creatures and machines but there are drawings online that really aided the story as well.

message 6: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Brignall Mason | 27 comments I read a biography about the guy from slipknot (Corey Taylor)..I'm not a fan of their music but it was surprisingly good. Very interesting life he led. He was actually in the band Stone Sour first. I want to read the one about Tupac Shakur next.