The Book Nook discussion

The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co., #1)
This topic is about The Screaming Staircase
July 2016 > The Screeeeeeaaaamiiiiing Staircase

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Prince William Public Libraries (pwpls) | 23 comments Mod
How do you sum up a book like this? Amazing? Terrifying? Vivid? Maybe by the end of this post I'll have come up with something....

What did you think? I will fess up, I reluctantly started reading this after a co-worker booktalked it at a school. It sounded like a fantastic story, but, I mean, it's in the Juvenile section...as in not the Young Adult or Adult sections. Wasn't it a little too young for me?

Hah!

That's worth repeating, so I'll say it again. HAH!

The minute that I picked up this book I couldn't put it down. I was expecting ghosts; what I wasn't expecting was to get chills even though it was a JUVENILE book that I was reading in broad daylight, to chortle over Lockwood's devil-may-care attitude and George's perpetual quest for the ultimate tea munchy, to sympathize with Lucy as she deals with memories at her previous agency, to worry over every agent because at the end of the day they are kids armed with very sharp swords against very bad spirits - basically, to enjoy everything about this book.

Stroud is a veeeeery gifted writer; it came as no surprise to me that this book is in pre-production to become a film, since his writing is so clear you feel like you are watching one already.

That's right, there's going to be a MOVIE: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2480878/?...

Want to be a ghost hunter? There's an interactive game on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igol5...

So what did you think? Are you a ghost fan that enjoyed adding this to your reading list, was this the first time that you had ever read a ghost story (like me), or did you even like it at all? Who was your favorite character? I can't really pick, because they are each unique, which is partly what makes this book so good. The plot is propelled not by the fact that it is a ghost story (although what a ghost story it is!) but also by the characters, who interact with each other in a very believable, and downright entertaining, way.

If you liked The Screaming Staircase, then be assured that this is an ongoing series. Book 2 is The Whispering Skull, book 3 is The Hollow Boy, and coming out this fall is The Creeping Shadow.

I guess that the best way to sum up this book, for me, is to admit that this website says it all: it is a good read. A really, REALLY good read.

Samantha | 5 comments This was an amazing book! I don't normally read "scary" books, but I couldn't put this one down. I suppose most of it isn't all that scary, but I loved the characters! I can't wait until "The Creeping Shadow" comes out!

Prince William Public Libraries (pwpls) | 23 comments Mod
I know!! Can hardly wait to see where Stroud takes the story; the third book ended on such a cliff hanger. The movie has been in pre-production for a while now, but if it does get released I'll be veeeeery curious to see who they get to play the different characters.

Samantha | 5 comments I didn't know they were thinking about making a movie!!! I am kinda excited by that. I think this is one of those books that could make a good movie!!!