Play Book Tag discussion

This is Not a Game (Dagmar Shaw #1)
This topic is about This is Not a Game
Archive: Other Books > This is Not a Game by Walter Jon Williams - 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annapi (last edited Jul 19, 2016 11:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

annapi | 5129 comments Wow. I was not expecting much from this, and by the end was just blown away.

Dagmar Shaw is a "puppet master", a writer of MMOPRG (massively multiplayer online role playing games) computer games that send players into real places in the world to pick up clues to solve her mysteries.

The novel opens with Dagmar landing in Jakarta, a stopover on the way to Bali. However, riots break out in the city when the Indonesian currency collapses unexpectedly, trapping Dagmar and many others when the military to attempt a takeover. Her boss and friend, Charlie Shaw, owner of the company that owns her gaming company, goes to great lengths to get her out of the city when the American government does nothing to help, being busy quelling trouble in other parts of the world.

Dagmar parlays her harrowing experience into the plot of a new game. When an old friend is murdered and the police stumped, she enlists the gaming community's assistance in the investigation by making it part of her game. What she doesn't know is that she is about to get caught up in a much bigger crisis, and the lines between fantasy and reality are about to become more blurred than anyone is prepared for.

What a roller coaster ride! Especially in the last half of the book, where the pace suddenly takes off like a rocket and I couldn't put the book down. I did figure out whodunnit quite early, but that did not detract from my enjoyment of the suspense and the climax. I thoroughly enjoyed all the geekiness, and the idea of using computer gaming in a murder plot in this manner was fascinating and new to me. I will definitely look for the next books in the series.

Kate | 91 comments I'm glad to see such a glowing review I've got this one on hold.

Megalion | 484 comments I loved this book. I think I've read all of the series. Boo. I want more.