What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Into the Light
This topic is about Into the Light
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Adult. Romance. Anywhere from the late 80/90’s on. Heroine is afraid of thunder storms [spoiler ahead...] [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl Winters | 3 comments The book starts with the hero coming back to town for the first time in years.

She broke up with him while he was in college.

He thought because she no longer loved him.

In actuality, she was beaten and raped by her stepfather while her mother was in the hospital. (Possibly) dying of cancer.

Heroine is deathly afraid of thunder storms (heavy recurring theme in the book).

A doctor/family friend type person saved her life. I think they called him Doc. She had a choice to keep her baby or possibly die(?)and she chose the kid. She refused to tell the hero about the baby because college was his future.

The couple meets again when Hero comes to town and finds out (or came to town because of) their child.

Hero is very angry at her at first. They make a deal that he gets to know their son. He is quite (understandably) cold about not knowing about his child. She’s obviously still in love with him.

(Time passes)They have a fight.

She goes home (really to hide because a Thunder Storm is coming). I recall the kid saying something about her being terrified of storms. That’s when DOC reveals what happened to her.

The hero vividly remembers her loving storms and sitting outside snuggled up with him to watch him. He leaves the kid with ??? before going to her home. He finds her (hiding?) in the midst of a PTSD (not sure they even called it that then) moment.. he helps her calm down.
I’m sorry I can’t remember more.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Jul 21, 2016 10:07AM) (new)

Kris | 36031 comments Mod
Sheryl, what year did you read this book?

What's the genre - contemporary romance or romantic suspense?

Is the abuse by her stepfather a spoiler, what the Doc later reveals?

message 3: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl Winters | 3 comments Kris.
I don't have an exact time table of when I read this book. I know I read it in about 12 plus years ago. (My memory is like a sieve).

I don't know what genre it would have been considered. Contemporary for that time fits but does does romantic suspense.

The abuse by the stepfather is a later reveal.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36031 comments Mod
Thanks for clarifying. I added a spoiler warning in the topic header.

Another method is to edit Message #1 and add a clear warning -- or use the html tag below:

< spoiler>type the spoiler here< /spoiler>
(but remove the space inside/beside the brackets)

For example: (view spoiler)

message 5: by Kaye (new) - added it

Kaye (kayesnifeld) | 1 comments Sheryl wrote: "The book starts with the hero coming back to town for the first time in years.

She broke up with him while he was in college.

He thought because she no longer loved him.

In actuality, she was..."

Someone found it; Into the Light by Judith Duncan

message 6: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl Winters | 3 comments thank you all so much. This is exactly the book I was looking for.