2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Blood Work (Terry McCaleb, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #8)
This topic is about Blood Work
Blood Work > Question F

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
When did it occur to you that the blood type was a factor connecting the victims?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1391 comments About when McCaleb thought of it. I did follow the trail of a red herring at this point, however!

I think I thought about it when Terry did. I was sort of clueless.

Robin (robinmy) | 1214 comments I saw the movie several years ago, so I knew that was how the killer chose his victims.

How does the movie compare to the book?

Robin (robinmy) | 1214 comments Well, it's been several years since I saw the movie. The biggest (huge) difference between the book and the movie is the identity of the killer. In the movie, it was Buddy, the guy living on the boat next to Terry McCaleb. Buddy was played by Jeff Daniels. I remember about 20 minutes into the movie, I decided that Buddy must be the killer because Jeff Daniels usually doesn't get cast as a goofy sidekick.

The plot was pretty much the same as in the book. I don't remember the third murder (Kenyon) being part of the movie, but it might have been. The two detectives on the Gloria Torres case had bigger parts in the movie. They may actually have been the detectives on both murders. I don't remember Winston at all.

So, overall I liked the movie but thought the identity of the killer was easy to figure out just because of who they cast in the role.

Robin (robinmy) | 1214 comments Forgot to add, I was actually surprised when I was reading this book and Buddy wasn't the killer. Michael Connelly could have easily made Buddy the killer. Everything (in my mind) was pointing to him by the middle of the book. I certainly didn't suspect Noone at all.

I agree, Robin. There was a point where I was sure it was Buddy, especially when he didn't answer his phone and later said it didn't ring. I still think there is something creepy about him.

Thanks for the movie summary!

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1391 comments My memory is being jogged by this conversation: I too thought there was something off about Buddy, but perhaps that will also come out in a future book if Terry keeps living on his boat.

Terry has his own boat:)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1391 comments I was unclear. I meant if Terry 's boat is near Buddy's in a future book...

My bad! I read it incorrectly.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Robin wrote: " I decided that Buddy must be the killer because Jeff Daniels usually doesn't get cast as a goofy sidekick.."

I agree although he is the goofy sidekick in Speed, lol!

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Robin wrote: "Forgot to add, I was actually surprised when I was reading this book and Buddy wasn't the killer. Michael Connelly could have easily made Buddy the killer. Everything (in my mind) was pointing to h..."

Ditto!
Once Noone was revealed as the killer, I was waiting for Terry to make the connection to Buddy and that never happened.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Jonetta wrote: "I agree, Robin. There was a point where I was sure it was Buddy, especially when he didn't answer his phone and later said it didn't ring. I still think there is something creepy about him. ."

That's when I was sure it would be like in the movie!

Don't you wonder if he's villainous in the next book...?

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Jonetta wrote: "Don't you wonder if he's villainous in the next book...?"

Hmm.... you mean like Bremmer suddenly became the villain? Interesting possibility....

Robin (robinmy) | 1214 comments Jonetta wrote: "Don't you wonder if he's villainous in the next book...?"

I hadn't thought of that. It would certainly be an interesting twist.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1391 comments ...and I've been holding off a little longer before I order August books from the library.....