2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Blood Work (Terry McCaleb, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #8)
This topic is about Blood Work
Blood Work > Question C

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
Dr. Bonnie Fox, Terry's cardiologist, issued him an ultimatum: drop the case or find another doctor. What did you think of her point of view...fair, unfair or a bit of both?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1391 comments I think she cared so much for his recovery process that she issued the ultimatum. It will be interesting to see whether they are still doctor and patient in future stories. I would suspect yes, but I could be wrong.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Her ultimatum went beyond dr/patient relationship.

I agree, MsG. She was way out of line. It made me suspicious.

Robin (robinmy) | 1214 comments I was surprised that she would do that. A doctor may preach to you and tell you what you should or shouldn't be doing, but I've never heard of one giving an ultimatum like that.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1391 comments Back in 1972, I had a doctor who threatened to drop me as a maternity patient because he said I was overweight (I was NOT). I only gained a total of nine pounds with that pregnancy. I'm glad my son has grown up healthy. Then (like an idiot), I went to the same doctor in 1975, and he told me I was obese and that if I gained so much as a pound, he'd drop me. I dropped him and found another doctor..... So it did happen to me for a less-than-life-threatening reason....

Charlene, kudos to you for dropping him! I'm so sorry you were subjected to this kind of nonsense.

I decided at 18-years old, after YEARS of callous military male doctors telling me to just exercise more when my menstrual cycle was so awful and painful, that I would never again see a doctor who couldn't feel what I felt. I went to a military base near my college and was assigned a young female doctor who told me I didn't need to suffer any more. She changed my life.

Hopefully, the relationships between doctors and patients have progressed today where ultimatums are no longer an option with either group.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments On the one hand, I was surprised by Bonnie's ultimatum, but on the other, I understood her POV. Her patient was acting against her advice and putting his recovery at risk. She seemed to feel that if he wasn't going to listen to her then there was no point continuing as his physician and he might benefit from a different doctor.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments I've been very lucky with my doctors.
We have social medicine (the government pays for virtually everything) and you can choose your health care provider (like an HMO but not really) and which doctor to go to. The doctors at my clinic have known me from childhood and one of them is also my boss's husband. He's the one who put me on the pill when I was suffering so badly from Mittelschmerz.

I recently changed doctors because the one I was seeing liked to over prescribe. I much prefer lifestyle changes as a first course of action. My new doctor and I fit perfectly.

All this to say is it's important to have a strong working relationship with your primary care giver. I've had more excellent medical providers than not (except in my teen years). And sometimes it's just not a good personality fit, too. Whatever the circumstances, trust is the most important factor and it works both ways. Point well taken about Bonnie not trusting McCaleb to properly take care of himself.