Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Underworld
This topic is about Underworld
Buddy Reads > Underworld --Buddy Read

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Darren (dazburns) | 1979 comments this is it people!
August fast approaching...
who's with me? :o)

Don DeLillo's Underworld
Underworld by Don DeLillo

message 2: by Warner (new)

Warner West | 45 comments I'll be reading it! I honestly can't wait to start. I have several books on my shelf that have been calling my name for a while and this is one of them.

message 3: by Jon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon (jonpill) | 122 comments I'm in. I went to see a talk by DeLillo a month or two ago and he said that this was the only book he misjudged the length of before writing it. It was meant to be a three or four page short story about baseball...

message 4: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Jon wrote: "I'm in. I went to see a talk by DeLillo a month or two ago and he said that this was the only book he misjudged the length of before writing it. It was meant to be a three or four page short story ..."

Haha, that in itself is hilarious! I'll be skipping this, as I am swamped with current group and buddy reads, but I'll be interested to know what you all think of it.

Darren (dazburns) | 1979 comments Under way with Underworld
read first 50 pages last night
going well so far(!)
I'm one of the few British people I know who really likes baseball, so I'm hoping that will help...

Darren (dazburns) | 1979 comments The "Prologue" (first 60 pages) is just about the most perfect bit of writing I've ever come across :oO

I'm now about 200 pages in and this is shaping up as a 6-Star
I love everything about DeLillo's writing style
the dialogue is amazing - realistic and stylised at the same time (how is that even possible!?)

Darren (dazburns) | 1979 comments just to say I am still reading this (less than 300 pages left now!)
still 6-Star
:oD

message 8: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9692 comments Mod
I'm not fitting this one in for August or September, but it is definitely on my radar now.

Darren (dazburns) | 1979 comments just finished
monumental
827 pages and I didn't want it to end
gobsmacked
will let it sink in a bit and hope some review type words become possible...

message 10: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Darren wrote: "just finished
monumental
827 pages and I didn't want it to end
gobsmacked
will let it sink in a bit and hope some review type words become possible..."

Cool

Darren (dazburns) | 1979 comments very difficult book to review, but made a stab at it:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 12: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Wow -- 6 stars from you. Nice review, thank you Darren. I do want to read this one for sure now -- just not sure when.

message 13: by Jon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon (jonpill) | 122 comments I've stalled horribly on it. Every time I sit down to read it I love it, its fun, I am compelled along to the next page, and then again.

The second I put it down it becomes this albatross / millstone that I don't want to touch but which stops me from reading other things.

I've rarely had such a massive disconnect in the way I feel about a book like that before.

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Underworld (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Don DeLillo (other topics)