Play Book Tag discussion

July 2016: Biography Memoir > Don't Sing at the Table by Adriana Trigiani - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (last edited Jul 18, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2283 comments Don't Sing at the Table: Life Lessons from My Grandmothers I was intrigued by the title since I was often admonished as a child not to sing at the table! Plus I'm half Italian and I've really enjoyed Trigiani's books. Since we are reading Biography/Memoirs this month, it fit the bill.

I really enjoyed learning about Trigiani's very special grandmothers and their lives as immigrants to the US and how they each built a good life. The pictures that were a bit fuzzy because of their small size and the paper it was printed on (I had the paperback large print ed.) and the lack of proper labeling of the figures. For example, one picture in particular showed two couples with each woman holding a baby. The caption just said that two of those figures were her grandparents holding their son. I love old pictures so that was a disappointment.

At one point Trigiani strayed from advice from her grandmothers and went into a preaching of child-raising that didn't seem connected. However, most of the advice from her grandmothers, I would have liked even more as a young woman myself! Now I have it in my head to try to be the kind of grandmother to my own grandchildren that these two remarkable ladies were for Adriana.

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6279 comments I also enjoyed this book.