Read (or Reread) Harry Potter discussion

The Order of the Phoenix > Order of the Phoenix 24: Occlumency (discuss only this chapter and anything prior)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 550 comments Mod
no spoilers please

message 2: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 118 comments So, I think I'm well ahead of everyone at this point (sorry, I just can't stop reading, this book is so much better than I remember) and I'm going to use this and comment freely (and by freely I mean without worrying about spoilers) mid-chapter, because these chapters are super long and my memory sucks so I just forget what I wanted to say by the end of the chapter, or just really want to start reading the next one and think "Meh, whatever, I'll just say it later when someone comments on the chapter... if I remember".

Reading Sirius and Snape's conversation... I'm laughing so hard. Why do I suddenly feel like reading a Snape/Sirius fanfiction? lol It wasn't supposed to be like this. When they started whiping out their wands, well... we have this saying in Bulgarian which I guess would be translated as "to compare your dicks", and it basically means trying to (mostly verbally) prove you're better than the other person. So... yeah, this is precisely what their argument is like lol

message 3: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 118 comments Harry should just tell Hermione about the hats. She'll be heartbroken and angry, but it's better she knows sooner rather than later, right? And she'd feel even worse if Harry knew and didn't tell her. I mean, the elves stopped cleaning Gryffindor's common room, for Odin's sake!

message 4: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 118 comments I've read comments by people complaining that Cho is portrayed very stereotipically - as this weepy Asian girl who's to be a sort of "prize" for the main character. And I don't like critisizing Rowling, I most certainly don't like critisizing the masterpiece that is the Harry Potter series, but I can see where those people are coming from. I sincerely doubt it was intentional on J.K.'s side, but I can totally see it and it kind of bugs me.

message 5: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 118 comments 'But surely you have noticed that Potter is very like his father?'
'Yes, I have,' said Sirius proudly.
'Well then, you'll know he's so arrogant that criticism simply bounces off him,' Snape added sleekly.
<- I died.

message 6: by Brianna (new)

I wish that we would see/hear more of Buckbeak. Sirius hangs out in his room, but that's about it!

I can only imagine what it would have been like walking into the scene with Harry standing between Sirius and Snape. lol

I could not handle riding on the Knight Bus.

"Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves, who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad memories and allow themselves to be provoked this easily -- weak people, in other words -- they stand no chance against his powers!" ← I disagree about the weak people comment. Harry has used his emotions in the past and has escaped Voldemort (and his mom's love when she died protected him!)

message 7: by Brianna (new)

@ Ria: I love that quote! I was eating when I read it and almost choked because I started laughing. lol

I agree about the Cho thing too. I'm not sure she was really... as substantial of a character she could have been.