Read (or Reread) Harry Potter discussion

The Order of the Phoenix > Order of the Phoenix 01: Dudley Demented (discuss only this chapter)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 550 comments Mod
no spoilers please

message 2: by Ria (last edited Mar 05, 2017 06:14AM) (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 118 comments Well, well. Look what we have here. Is it just me or have the roles turned and now Harry is the one bullying Dudley? Harry is acting like an angsty teenager. He's like "why is no one paying attention to me, I did stuff!" I would probably be annoyed, too, if I were in his position. I hate not knowing what is happening, especially if other people around me do (in Harry's case that's pretty much everyone he cares about). But is it so hard to understand that people worry about him? Yes, he can take care of himself, but he's too important to put into any more danger than he's already in. Anyway. I do like this change in his character, for the first time I actually feel like he's more than just this empty shell of a character made so that everyone could see themselves in him. Sorry, not really a fan of Harry. I mean, it's not that I dislike him, I've just never really liked him that much either. He's a bit too... average.

message 3: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 550 comments Mod
Harry is definitely getting angsty! He's also gotten a lot braver - antagonizing Dudley like that.
I wonder who he heard disapparate when he was hiding in the bushes.
Mrs. Figg knows about the wizarding world?!

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) This is a re-read for me. I remember then that after the ending of The Goblet of Fire the books got dark. No wonder Harry's annoyed he doesn't know what's going on. He must be panicking. Even though he has an instant dislike of Big D, he still helps him out. I know what you mean about not liking Harry, Ron and the Weasleys are my favourites.

message 5: by Ria (last edited Mar 06, 2017 09:38AM) (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 118 comments Amanda wrote: "This is a re-read for me. I remember then that after the ending of The Goblet of Fire the books got dark. No wonder Harry's annoyed he doesn't know what's going on. He must be panicking. Even thoug..."
Yes, Fred and George are my favourites.... and Sirius and Lupin. (view spoiler)

And yeah, you're right, the books do get much darker from here on. The first three books have been my favourite ones up until now, but I think with this re-read things will change. Perhaps I'm finally ready to grow up.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) Noooo! I like book 4 the best

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I understand his anger, and wanting that pat on the back, but still I am sort of annoyed by it. Maybe it is just that teenage phase, but gosh I am really annoyed by his behavior. I think I am getting old. *sigh*

message 8: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 118 comments Amanda wrote: "Noooo! I like book 4 the best"
I don't know. I think books 1-3 were more... innocent, that's when the characters are, for the most part, either good or bad, and going to school is just this adventure that Harry, Ron and Hermione have. Then at the end of book 4 Cedric dies and everything changes. Voldemort is back and Harry is no longer this chosen hero who always swoops in to save the day. Evil has won and the real challenge, the real test of character begins now. Books 5-7 are when everything turns around and the characters really start to become more rounded. I loved the idea of book 4, but for me it's just this border between 1-3 and 5-7 that fits in both of these categories, but this also means that I can't really... feel it. And it just raised too many questions about magic in other countries that remained unanswered and that bugged me. I like that book, but I feel like it wasn't written to its fullest potential. I'm sorry, that's just how I feel. I personally always liked the third book best because that's when we meet Lupin and Sirius and they're two of my favourite characters. It's also the book that gives us the longest glimpse into James and Lily's years at Hogwarts, which has always fascinated me. You know, the idea of their gang and all the mischieves they did. I do love Barty Crouch Jr, though, he was absolutely brilliant.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) I see what you mean. I loved the Quidditch World Cup and the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Noooo was about growing up!

message 10: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 118 comments Oh. I misunderstood you, then, sorry. Haha, I'm not sure how I feel about growing up myself.

message 11: by LENA (new)

LENA TRAK | 202 comments Mod
Harry is always skinny in the first chapter of all the books so far... I hate that...

I don't like the way he talks to Dudley...He's practically mirroring Dudley's behavior.. Noooooo...This is not you Harry.

message 12: by LENA (new)

LENA TRAK | 202 comments Mod
Alex Farrand wrote: "I understand his anger, and wanting that pat on the back, but still I am sort of annoyed by it. Maybe it is just that teenage phase, but gosh I am really annoyed by his behavior. I think I am getti..."

I totally agree with you Alex... It's annoying.. But, I'm pretty positive I would act the same If I were a teenager... Yup, that's something I would definitely have done 15 years ago. LOL