YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
This topic is about The Gunslinger
BUDDY READ: Horror/Thriller > The Gunslinger By Stephen King - Restarting August 15th 2020

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments Beginning with a short story appearing in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction in 1978, the publication of Stephen King's epic work of fantasy -- what he considers to be a single long novel and his magnum opus -- has spanned a quarter of a century.

Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, The Dark Tower series is King's most visionary feat of storytelling, a magical mix of science fiction, fantasy, and horror that may well be his crowning achievement.

Book I
In The Gunslinger (originally published in 1982), King introduces his most enigmatic hero, Roland Deschain of Gilead, the Last Gunslinger. He is a haunting, solitary figure at first, on a mysterious quest through a desolate world that eerily mirrors our own. Pursuing the man in black, an evil being who can bring the dead back to life, Roland is a good man who seems to leave nothing but death in his wake.

This new edition of The Gunslinger has been revised and expanded throughout by King, with new story material, in addition to a new introduction and foreword. It also includes four full-color illustrations in the hardcover and trade paperback formats.

Alley Kat (alleykat666) | 768 comments Finished Chapter 5

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Tati (last edited Jul 22, 2016 04:16PM) (new) - added it

Tati | 10171 comments are you enjoying it? I'm 6% in, and so far, I'm not really that into it.

Alley Kat (alleykat666) | 768 comments It's okay. It's interesting. I'm gonna give it a bit longer. It seems it'll be a quick read at least.

Alley Kat (alleykat666) | 768 comments Finished Chapter 14
(view spoiler)

Alley Kat (alleykat666) | 768 comments Chapter 15 was pretty intense. Not a fan of those scenes. Just a warning.

Alley Kat (alleykat666) | 768 comments In the middle of The Way Station. The download I have is weird.
(view spoiler)

Alley Kat (alleykat666) | 768 comments Finished The Way Station.
(view spoiler)

Alley Kat (alleykat666) | 768 comments Finished The Oracle in the Mountains
(view spoiler)

Alley Kat (alleykat666) | 768 comments Finished The Slow Mutants
(view spoiler)

Alley Kat (alleykat666) | 768 comments I read some positive reviews to get me through this last 13%, and a lot of people are saying that this is the weakest in the series.

Alley Kat (alleykat666) | 768 comments Finished
(view spoiler)

message 13: by Tati (new) - added it

Tati | 10171 comments I'll give it another chance, then, later today

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 85264 comments Mod
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Date Changed. Restarting December 16th 2016. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 15: by San (new)

San  (btsentence) I will start tomorrow ;)

message 16: by Abby (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abby | 5454 comments Chapter 1: (view spoiler)

message 17: by Abby (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abby | 5454 comments Chapter 2: (view spoiler)

Chapter 3: (view spoiler)

message 18: by Abby (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abby | 5454 comments Finished: (view spoiler)

message 19: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7310 comments ****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting August 15th 2020. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Laura | 1320 comments Should start this in the next few days!

message 21: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7310 comments Starting tomorrow!

Laura | 1320 comments Quirks wrote: "Starting tomorrow!"

Awesome!

message 23: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7310 comments This is the third consecutive day that I've started this book and I just can't make it past the first two pages. I don't know why! So, I'm gonna put this book aside for a few days and read something else.

Laura | 1320 comments Quirks wrote: "This is the third consecutive day that I've started this book and I just can't make it past the first two pages. I don't know why! So, I'm gonna put this book aside for a few days and read somethin..."

That sucks! It is always best to just put those kinds of books aside rather than just pushing through them and then hating them!

message 25: by Laura (last edited Aug 22, 2020 09:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 1320 comments 31% (view spoiler)

Laura | 1320 comments 54% (view spoiler)

Laura | 1320 comments 91% (view spoiler)

Laura | 1320 comments Finished (view spoiler)