Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Chronicles of the Black Company > Re-Read or Read it if you haven't yet

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Culbertson | 72 comments After we've fulfilled our obligation to the Club does anyone want to join me in a re-read or if you have yet to read the series start it for the first time?

This is probably my favorite set a books ever and I have yet to read the last two books. I'm going to start with the first omnibus and read all four omnibuses. So feel free to join me if you'd like.

message 2: by Ria (last edited Jul 18, 2016 11:35PM) (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 19 comments Hi, Ronald. I haven't exactly been active in this group (not at all, unfortunately), but The Black Company's been on my to-read list for a while and I'd love to do it in a group-read. Do you have a starting date in mind?

message 3: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new)

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 343 comments Mod
You can if you use your browser to go to the desktop site.
: )

message 4: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new)

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 343 comments Mod
It's a pain though.
As I too meant to add this.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 111 comments You've forgotten the face of your father...

message 6: by Ria (last edited Jul 18, 2016 11:38PM) (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 19 comments Brenda ╰☆╮ wrote: "You can if you use your browser to go to the desktop site. : )"
Thanks, I editted it from my laptop. The phone has a few uncomfortable features (or more exactly an uncomfortable lack of them), like not being able to edit or quote, or how it automatically deletes spoilers. I hope they are fixed at some point in time.

message 7: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Culbertson | 72 comments Ria wrote: "Hi, Ronald. I haven't exactly been active in this group (not at all, unfortunately), but The Black Company's been on my to-read list for a while and I'd love to do it in a group-read. Do you have a..."

Well I need to finish the current book I am reading and then read the group Earthsea book so it will be towards the end of the month or the start of the next one.

message 8: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 19 comments Oh, okay. That should give me enough time to find a physical copy of the first book from somewhere.

message 9: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Culbertson | 72 comments Ria wrote: "Oh, okay. That should give me enough time to find a physical copy of the first book from somewhere."

I switched to Kindle a few years back. I read to much to have physical copies and I save money on Kindle.

You can get Chronicles of The Black Company which is the first 3 books for $9.99

message 10: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 19 comments Ronald wrote: "Ria wrote: "Oh, okay. That should give me enough time to find a physical copy of the first book from somewhere."

I switched to Kindle a few years back. I read to much to have physical copies and I..."

Not in Bulgaria :D We appear to have a very limited supply of proper fantasy and even less of it in English. I also don't have an electronic reader, or the age/proper card to buy it from amazon/ebay/wherever. I did manage to find a Bulgarian translation of some of the books, but most translations I've come across are just painful to read and I'm not sure I want to risk it. Anyway. I have a pirated version on my laptop from somewhere, so, worst case scenario, I can at least use that while I find a way to purchase the actual book.

message 11: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Culbertson | 72 comments Ria wrote: "Ronald wrote: "Ria wrote: "Oh, okay. That should give me enough time to find a physical copy of the first book from somewhere."

I switched to Kindle a few years back. I read to much to have physic..."

Okay whatever works best for you. Not sure if the kindle can translate it into different languages or not but I know you can download the kindle app and use it on anything even a regular computer if that helps.

message 12: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 19 comments Hey, Ronald, so, no to be pushy or anything, but will you please comment here or give me a message or something whenever you decide on a start date for this read? 'Cause I already signed up for it, but am feeling pretty clueless as to how/when it's happening.

message 13: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Culbertson | 72 comments Ria wrote: "Hey, Ronald, so, no to be pushy or anything, but will you please comment here or give me a message or something whenever you decide on a start date for this read? 'Cause I already signed up for it,..."

I just started reading the 2nd Earthsea book and I will start the Black Company books right after I finish the Earthsea book. The are short books so it shouldn't take to long and I will message you when I plan to start.

message 14: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 19 comments Ronald wrote: "I just started reading the 2nd Earthsea book and I will start the Black Company books right after I finish the Earthsea book. The are short books so it shouldn't take to long and I will message you when I plan to start."
I would really appreciate that, thank you :)

message 15: by Ronald (last edited Aug 01, 2016 10:07AM) (new)

Ronald Culbertson | 72 comments Ria wrote: "Ronald wrote: "I just started reading the 2nd Earthsea book and I will start the Black Company books right after I finish the Earthsea book. The are short books so it shouldn't take to long and I w..."

I'm starting The Black Company today

message 16: by Ria (last edited Aug 01, 2016 12:06PM) (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 19 comments Ronald wrote: "Ria wrote: "Ronald wrote: "I just started reading the 2nd Earthsea book and I will start the Black Company books right after I finish the Earthsea book. The are short books so it shouldn't take to ..."
Oh, okay. I still have a few chapters from A Feast from Crows, but I can start by the end of the week. Where will we discuss it and how? I mean, shall we discuss part by part, or the whole book at once? Perhaps we can use the old threads that have been set up. Do you have a deadline in mind or should I just read at my own pace? Sorry for all the questions, it's just that all the group-reads I've done so far have been super organised, with threads for each chapter and deadlines and all sorts of side-threads and quizes and dates set up months ahead, so I'm not really sure how to go about this. Figured it would be best to simply ask. I'm okay with free-styling it, just want to make sure that's what I'm supposed to be doing.

message 17: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Culbertson | 72 comments Ria wrote: "Ronald wrote: "Ria wrote: "Ronald wrote: "I just started reading the 2nd Earthsea book and I will start the Black Company books right after I finish the Earthsea book. The are short books so it sho..."

Free-style is fine with me, I've read all but the last 3 books before but it has been years and years ago so I'm remembering a lot as I read. I finished the first book today so I will read something else before I read the next one to let you catch up. We can reply here or we can just directly message each other now that we are friends on here.

FYI I love A Feast for Crows but then I love all of the George R. R. Martin books in that series. WISH he would hurry up an release the next book, Him and Patrick Rothfuss are driving me crazy with how long they are taking for their next books.

message 18: by Ria (last edited Aug 02, 2016 02:42PM) (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 19 comments Ronald wrote: "Free-style is fine with me, I've read all but the last 3 books before but it has been years and years ago so I'm remembering a lot as I read. I finished the first book today so I..."

Oh, yes, I know what that's like. You've probably noticed that I'm in an ASoIaF (re)read group. This is my second time reading the series and I feel like I'm reading completely different books. Especially the first one, I discovered so many new things, even managed to come up with a few theories on my own. Well, a theory and a hypothesis, and a gazillion new questions...

Anyway, I was expecting to finish AFfC in a few days, but I read a lot today and only have a chapter left, so I'll start The Black Comapny tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it. I'll let you know as soon as I've finished it. Or perhaps I could message you while reading, if I have something interesting to say? It should make for a better discussion, I think. Thanks for waiting. As for general pace and whatnot, I guess we'll figure it out as we go.

I actually think A Feast for Crows is the most boring of all five novels, and not only because I can't stand Cersei and it has so much of her. It took me months to finish it the first time and I needed less than a week for the first two books, so that's saying something. Anyway, I do hope Martin finishes the next one soon. Leo winning an Oscar couldn't break the Internet, but I'm certain the release date for TWoW will... I've never read anything by Patrick Rothfuss, btw.

message 19: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Culbertson | 72 comments Ria wrote: "Ronald wrote: "Free-style is fine with me, I've read all but the last 3 books before but it has been years and years ago so I'm remembering a lot as I read. I finished the first book today so I..."..."

OMG!!!! You have the read the first 2 books of Patrick Rothfuss stuff you will love it and then hate him for taking so long on the 3rd book lol

message 20: by Ria (last edited Aug 07, 2016 08:21AM) (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 19 comments Okay, so I just finished The Black Company. I'm a bit disappointed, to be honest. I mean, the story was interesting and the Company has started growing on me, but none of the plot-twists came as a surprise and there seems to be this black-and-white sort of thing that I'm not really a fan of. I thought it wouldn't be like that and when it comes to the members of the Company I don't think it is, but The Lady seems inherently evil and the White Rose seems inherently good, which is just boring. Mostly, though, I think the writing killed the story. Too many short sentences and not enough description. In the first few chapters he would use words and expressions that were clumsy or pretentious and sounded out of place, he would also use expressions like "evil beyond imagining" to describe things, which is just lazy. What is this "evil beyond imagining"? I felt like he was just running away from actual description of the scene. And he used the *** thing way too often. Combined with the short sentences, it disrupted the flow of the story and made it seem chopped up. It got better towards the end, or maybe I just got used to it, I don't know. I have hope for the following books.

message 21: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Culbertson | 72 comments lol well I hope it does get better for you. I consider myself an intellectual person but when it comes to reading I don't pay attention to stuff like that I immerse myself in the story and live it. I don't pay attention to prose, typos, grammatical errors or things like that I think I just read it for the spirit in which I feel it was intended and enjoy it for what I hope the writer was trying to tell me but yeah the books get better once you get more into the books of the south but I like them all myself.

message 22: by Ria (last edited Aug 09, 2016 01:29AM) (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 19 comments Yeah, I wish I could do that, especially in cases like this when I like the story but not the style. Though I think a book is not just about what the story is, it's also about how it's told. And when the author is really good, every sentence is a pleasure of its own. Btw, any idea of when we're starting the next book?