Read (or Reread) Harry Potter discussion

The Goblet of Fire > Goblet of Fire 07: Bagman and Crouch (discuss only this chapter and anything prior)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 550 comments Mod
no spoilers please

message 2: by Brianna (new)

"Both were dressed as Muggles, though very inexpertly: The man with the watch wore a tweed suit with thigh-length galoshes; his colleague, a kilt and a poncho." ← I love how the Wizards are trying to dress like Muggles. lol

I find it interesting that Mr. Weasley defers to Harry about all things Muggle, when Hermione was also raised in a Muggle household.

message 3: by Ria (last edited Feb 25, 2017 01:23PM) (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 118 comments Brianna wrote: "I find it interesting that Mr. Weasley defers to Harry about all things Muggle, when Hermione was also raised in a Muggle household."
Oh, wow, you're right, I've never thought of that! But maybe it's because Harry is the main character so we see things from his perspective only and we just don't see all the times when Arthur asks Hermione about stuff like that. I do remember that at one point he met her parents and he asked them all kinds of stuff, he was like a kid in a toy store.

message 4: by Brianna (new)

That's probably true. I kind of wish we could get some of the story from her point of view. She would be a cool main character!

message 5: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 118 comments Yes, it would have been very interesting!

message 6: by LENA (new)

LENA TRAK | 202 comments Mod
Question to those who have watched the HP films:

(view spoiler)

message 7: by LENA (new)

Omnioculars!!! We've got videoplayers! I can't help wondering now and then why wizards refuse to use technology. They must be aware of the things muggles do to make their life easier. Aren't they even curious of trying using one of these gadgets? I think they would get addicted. Imagine Harry having a Facebook account writing a status like: "I did it! I got the snitch"
732 Slytherins dislike this.

message 8: by Brianna (new)

LENA wrote: "Question to those who have watched the HP films:

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Brianna (new)

LENA wrote: "Omnioculars!!! We've got videoplayers! I can't help wondering now and then why wizards refuse to use technology. They must be aware of the things muggles do to make their life easier. Aren't they e..."

That Facebook status/Slytherins dislike thing made me giggle. It would be such a funny book to have status updates for the series.

message 10: by Ria (last edited Jul 11, 2017 09:59AM) (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 118 comments I'm more curious about how we never get to see Harry (or Hermione, for that matter,) using technology. Not even a mobile phone, really? If he can exchange wizard money for muggle money, he could buy one for sure, even if the Dursleys would never allow him such a thing!

message 11: by LENA (new)

Brianna wrote: "LENA wrote: "Question to those who have watched the HP films:

[spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

I thought so but wasn't sure! Thanks!

message 12: by LENA (new)

Ria wrote: "I'm more curious about how we never get to see Harry (or Hermione, for that matter,) using technology. Not even a mobile phone, really? If he can exchange wizard money for muggle money, he could bu..."

Exactly Ria!! We only get to see them using a phone. I think Harry and Ron if I am not mistaken. Or is it Vernon and Ron... ?Never mind..

message 13: by Brianna (new)

I think the timeframe in the novels is the early 90s ((view spoiler)) so possibly too early for pagers or cell phones?

message 14: by LENA (new)

Yeah you're probably right Brianna(I keep forgetting the fact that the books didn't come out yesterday hahahahaha) they couldn't have had cell phones or laptops. But then again it wasn't too early for landline phones, TVs or other electrical appliances...

Yes '97 or '98, not sure about that either!!! :)

message 15: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 118 comments Well, I just did some research and "Enabling technology for mobile phones was first developed in the 1940s but it was not until the mid 1980s that they became widely available." In 1997 they had phones like the classic Nokia. That should be able to sustain some great magical damage, so I'd definitely recommend it to wizards :D