Buddy Reads with Beth discussion

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
This topic is about A Game of Thrones
Game Reads > Let's Get Started (The First 100(ish) pages

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth Tyree | 22 comments Mod
I'm reading in the Mass Market Paperback so our page counts might be off...but, for me, this section goes to page 108 and ends at the beginning of the 2nd chapter entitled "Eddard".

If you have a different edition, please let me know what pages that ends you on for this section!

Also, if you would like for us to speed up the reading (which will currently take us 8 weeks, or to mid September, to complete this book) please let me know that as well!

Happy Reading!

message 2: by J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J. Bebbington (jpbebbington) | 1 comments I wish I could join in this time, but I'm not ready for a re-read just yet.

J. wrote: "I wish I could join in this time, but I'm not ready for a re-read just yet."
*Sad Face*
Maybe we can pick a book to read together sometime later then. :)

ambiekraftsreads I would join y'all but I don't think I'm in the right place right now for such a long and intense book. Y'all have fun though.

ambie wrote: "I would join y'all but I don't think I'm in the right place right now for such a long and intense book. Y'all have fun though."
We understand! But if you find yourself wanting to join in later, don't hesitate!

And don't worry, I'm planning on having many more group reads!

ambiekraftsreads Elizabeth wrote: "ambie wrote: "I would join y'all but I don't think I'm in the right place right now for such a long and intense book. Y'all have fun though."
We understand! But if you find yourself wanting to join..."

Thanks!! Can't wait to see if I can read something else with you.

I bet we can come up with something!! :D

message 8: by ambiekraftsreads (last edited Jul 17, 2016 11:18PM) (new)

ambiekraftsreads Elizabeth wrote: "I bet we can come up with something!! :D"

Yah!! I'm open to any suggestions or I can suggest something.

Only 2 days until we start GoT guys! I'm super excited...what about you?

TODAY'S THE DAY! This week we're reading the first 100(ish) pages of GoT! I've really been looking forward to this and can't wait to hear what you all think! Remember to tell us all about your thoughts and feels this week.

Ready...Set...GO!

message 11: by Cherrie (new) - added it

Cherrie | 2 comments I wish I could join in with this but I don't own any of the books and I couldn't find them in my tiny local library :( If I do manage to find them I'll try to catch up :)

Cherrie wrote: "I wish I could join in with this but I don't own any of the books and I couldn't find them in my tiny local library :( If I do manage to find them I'll try to catch up :)"

I hope you find them soon! :D If not, we'll find something else to read with you later on!

I just finished the first 100 pages! Here are a few of my thoughts so far:

1) I am really enjoying George R. R. Martin's writing style. I have been pleasantly surprised at how smoothly this book reads and how easily I am keeping up with the different story lines.

2) I have been warned A LOT about how harsh Martin is with his characters. I was told not to get attached to ANYONE or ANYTHING...they weren't lying. Good Grief! (Bran's part just sliced at me!)

3) What in the world is with the incestuous relationships? I get that we're supposed to be keeping bloodlines pure but COME ON...consistent in breeding causes big health issues. How is that not a problem?

4) Dire Wolves are smart and BIG and awesome. I want one.

So what are your thoughts and emotions as we come to the end of week one? Have you chosen a favorite character? A favorite wolf? A LEAST FAVORITE character (how can you choose??)? Let us know!

Burgess Taylor | 1 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I just finished the first 100 pages! Here are a few of my thoughts so far:

1) I also think the book reads smoothly. I'm reading it on Kindle, which is different for me--I usually only read shorter books on Kindle, I prefer the "real" book, but so far so good.
2) I've also been warned about how harsh Martin can be, that he's not predictable. But it's hard not to get attached to characters. What happened to Bran... Grrr!
3) Incestuous relationships. Back then it was the norm, and they didn't know about the "health" problems it could cause, not to mention the emotional/mental ones, at least to me there had to have been issues. Cousins wasn't as a big of a deal back then, but brothers and sisters...just creepy and Yuck!
4)The Dire Wolves. I love them too.
Least favorite character is Little Finger. I'm further along so I won't spoil anything.
Favorite characters: Jon Snow. Ned. Arya.

Oooh yeah I'm further now and Littlefinger is definitely one of my least favorite characters....though I despise Cersei.