Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
BotM Discussion - SCI-FI > Long Way to a Small Angry Planet (Day 163-249,GC Std 306 only) pp 96-204 *** SPOILERS ***

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (last edited Jul 17, 2016 12:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg | 1138 comments For those who aren't done yet and are afraid of spoilers like me, this thread is for commenting on approximately the second hundred pages of the book (Day 163, GC Standard 306 to Day 249, GC Standard 306) pages 96 - 204.

Myriel | 13 comments Hi Greg, thanks also for this thread. :)

On the weekend I managed to read the first chapter of this part (Port Coriol) and although I'm a bit sad, that the author didn't let us take part in the decission about the new job, I liked this chapter a lot.

Ashby seemed to me a bit "dry", but his love affair makes him more human to me. He really must love Pei and she must return the feeling, otherwise she wouldn't take the risk of being caught with him. What irks me is that a highly evolved species like Peis has predjudice against inter-species sex. Shouldn't they know better than waiving their noses in the air?

After this chapter Sissix became my favorite character. Not only that she supports Rosemary as a new crewmate - no, she also comforts the other Aandrisk on the market without even knowing her! That's really selfless and a complete disproof of the (human) predjudice of cold-blooded reptiles.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments Sissix is becoming my favorite too. I like all the crew which, after putting up with the annoying twits in The Magicians, is a nice change. Jenks', um, "thing" for the ship's AI is weirding me out a bit though.

Greg | 1138 comments Myriel wrote: "Hi Greg, thanks also for this thread. :)

On the weekend I managed to read the first chapter of this part (Port Coriol) and although I'm a bit sad, that the author didn't let us take part in the de..."

Myriel and Veronica, I like that part where Sissix stands up for Rosemary too, and I like the fact that Kizzy backs down quickly and admits her mistake. The characters on the Wayfarer have a great camaraderie, which makes it enjoyable (and often funny) to read about their interactions.

Myriel | 13 comments The camaraderie on board is really special to me. In most SF novels I've read lately there are often conflicts between the crew members to generate more suspense, but it only overburdens the storyline. But on the Wayfarer there is much more harmony - and even Corbin doesn't seem that bad as he mostly keeps to himself without annoying the others too much (as far as we know until now).

Jessica | 432 comments Veronica wrote: "Sissix is becoming my favorite too. I like all the crew which, after putting up with the annoying twits in The Magicians, is a nice change. Jenks', um, "thing" for the ship's AI is weirding me out ..."

I am really liking Sissix a lot, too. I agree, this book is completely refreshing after The Magicians. It is so nice to enjoy the story AND the characters.

This book is a great read so far, and like many have mentioned it is so much fun to read about all the races and cultures. In light of our depressing news lately, all around the world, it is so nice to see differences celebrated.

Jessica | 432 comments I am enjoying the way that bugs are presented, and no one is freaking out about eating bugs! A year or so ago I took a bug class at university (it was on plagues and pathogens, and one of the most intriguing classes i have EVER taken!), and of course there was a portion on bugs as food. There was a photo of some people sitting around a campfire roasting a HUGE spider, and I have to say...it looked kind of tasty. Very meaty...like chicken! I surprised myself in thinking that I could likely eat bugs and not die.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments I can't see myself ever eating bugs, no matter how hungry I am. I've always told my family that in the event of a worldwide apocalypse I'd be one of the first to go. Bugs totally squick me out!

Jessica | 432 comments Veronica wrote: "I can't see myself ever eating bugs, no matter how hungry I am. I've always told my family that in the event of a worldwide apocalypse I'd be one of the first to go. Bugs totally squick me out!"

hahaha! I sometimes like to think that I would do ok in an apocalypse. I can knit so I can make clothes, therefore people would be willing to keep me around a bit. The reality though is that as soon as the TV's went out....I would quite possibly lose my will to live.

message 10: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg | 1138 comments I just finished day 249. Still enjoying it - I liked the way the revelations about Rosemary were handled. It's great how the crew sticks together.

The great strength in this book is the world building - so many unique alien races with intriguing features! The Sianat Pair & the Whisperer virus, the Grum who change sex as part of their life cycle, the special hand signal speech used for certain primary topics by the Aandrisks. I love it!

I do still wish there were a few more traditional plot elements, i.e. obstacles/conflicts to overcome. I wouldn't want to sacrifice the camaraderie of the crew, but I'd love to see this crew facing external obstacles as part of a stronger throughline. As it is, the book reads almost as a sequence of connected short stories, kind of happenings-in-the-life, that sort of thing. Highly enjoyable as is, but just bit more plot, I think it could be really brilliant! Of course, maybe those things are still coming; I'm only half done with the book!

message 11: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg | 1138 comments Jessica wrote: "In light of our depressing news lately, all around the world, it is so nice to see differences celebrated. ..."

So true Jessica!

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments Greg wrote: " As it is, the book reads almost as a sequence of connected short stories, kind of happenings-in-the-life, that sort of thing."

A very apt description, Greg. :-)

message 13: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg | 1138 comments Veronica wrote: "Greg wrote: " As it is, the book reads almost as a sequence of connected short stories, kind of happenings-in-the-life, that sort of thing."

A very apt description, Greg. :-)"

Thanks Veronica! :)

Myriel | 13 comments Greg wrote: "I just finished day 249. Still enjoying it - I liked the way the revelations about Rosemary were handled. It's great how the crew sticks together.

The great strength in this book is the world buil..."

I read further tomorrow morning and I was glad that Rosemarys secret was finally revealed and that Jenks was so understanding and didn't pressed on her too hard.

I'm also enjoying that the focus is on the characters although I didn't mind the action on day 245. Luckily Rosemary could solve the situation without too much damage to the crew and the ship. This supports her standing within the crew further and it shows that she has valuable knowledge herself and isn't just some better kind of secretary waiting for instructions.

I'm not sure how I feel about Jenks plans about giving Lovey a body of her own. So far we learned that it's illegal and this would cause the crew a lot of trouble. Seems that Jenks risks a lot (too much?) for his love ...
At least he still wants to speak to Ashby about this.

Melanie | 1312 comments I'm in love with Lovely.

message 16: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg | 1138 comments Myriel wrote: "This supports her standing within the crew further and it shows that she has valuable knowledge herself and isn't just some better kind of secretary waiting for instructions..."

True Myriel!

message 17: by Greg (last edited Jul 23, 2016 08:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg | 1138 comments Melanie wrote: "I'm in love with Lovely."

I'm curious to see what will happen with the AI Melanie - Lovey is practically a character like the rest of them, a member of the crew.

Myriel | 13 comments Greg wrote: "Melanie wrote: "I'm in love with Lovely."

I'm curious to see what will happen with the AI Melanie - Lovey is practically a character like the rest of them, a member of the crew."

This is also one point I like about the crew - they don't share the public opinion about AIs being no sapient persons but they see her as part of the crew (at least most of them - I wouldn't say this for sure for Corbin ...)

message 19: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 3 stars

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 3012 comments Mod
Veronica wrote: "I can't see myself ever eating bugs, no matter how hungry I am. I've always told my family that in the event of a worldwide apocalypse I'd be one of the first to go. Bugs totally squick me out!"

Me too -- absolutely. I liked Sissix pretty well right away, but I keep imagining her as a kind of fat dinosaur for some reason.

Going along with Greg, this is a very character-based story rather than a plot-based one. The plot has been very simple so far -- everyday life meeting lots of different aliens and cultures.