What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > Story about some form of nuclear/atomic event, man left wondering on his own, sealing clothes from washing lines etc and hunting for other survivors. Read in '97/'98 for GCSE English

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Ditton | 9 comments Story about some form of nuclear/atomic event, man left wondering on his own, sealing clothes from washing lines etc and hunting for other survivors. Read in '97/'98 for GCSE English

'Mushroom shaped cloud' in the distance
He had water and food, but needed to find more
was hoping to find things that were edible/usable and not contaminated

I think there may have been a dog involved, a dirt road and possibly some shacks?

Must have been written before 1997 as it was included in English GCSE

Again, Please please help, I would really like to read this book again, if I can ever find it.
I think it was the having to read over and over and over and over again that made me forget the important bits!!

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Ditton | 9 comments Possibly Z for Zachariah Z for Zachariah

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36036 comments Mod
Any chance your book is the same one being discussed here - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Ditton | 9 comments Entirely possible Kris, I'll have to read both books (of course!) to double check though. Thank you! :)

message 5: by Trillian (new)

Trillian | 77 comments Brother in the Land by Robert Swindells?

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Michelle, do you recall where the book was set (UK, US, Canada, Europe)? Do you recall any other characters that he encounters? Do you recall anything about the end -- does he survive, does he get killed, does he die of some accident?

What about the book itself -- hardback or paperback? Anything about the cover? At the time you read it, do you have a sense of whether it was a new book or older one?

message 7: by Hilary (new)

Hilary  | 42 comments I read this book too for gcse English, I remember what you descibe. I think the cover was blue with some black cloud perhaps. I thought it was called Ash Road but when I look that up it doesn't sound like the same story. The other detail I remember is the characters who had survived were not sure why they had and not others.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Ditton | 9 comments Thank you all!
I think it was Z for Zachariah. I have found the book and ordered just need to read to confirm now....Thank you all.

I think it was set in UK, was a newish book when I got it at beginning of gcse year, and possibly paperback.

Will update once I have read it and worked out if it is the same one :-)

message 9: by Hilary (new)

Hilary  | 42 comments It would be really interesting to know if it is this book, I don't recognise the covers but perhaps the school books were different. Would love to read this again, the only school book that was memorable for me !

message 10: by Andy Phillips (new)

Andy Phillips | 216 comments Z for Zachariah was studied in UK schools around then (I remember reading a copy that my brother studied) but I'm pretty sure it isn't the book you're looking for. Its main character is a teenage girl (although there is a man in it), the entire story is in one fairly small location and there's no searching for other survivors, washing lines, shacks or dog as far as I remember. Can you remember anything else about it?

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40168 comments Mod
Michelle, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 12: by SBC (last edited Jul 10, 2019 06:46PM) (new)

SBC (essbeecee) | 959 comments Could it be Empty World by John Christopher?

message 13: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20996 comments Michelle, did you want us to mark this solved as Z for Zachariah?

message 14: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20996 comments Not sure if Michelle is still around, but it could also be The Last Canadian.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40168 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Michelle, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.