Future Elementary Teachers Library discussion

Classroom Library Organization

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison (new)

Allison (allisondaviswrites) | 10 comments Mod
Hi there!

For those of you who are already teachers, how do you organize your classroom library? What range of reading levels do you offer your students? I would love to hear how your organize your books (by topic, reading level, etc.) and any other fun classroom library tips!

Hope everyone is having a great summer :)

message 2: by Dina (new)

Dina (dinamurphy) | 2 comments It took me years to figure out the best storage system for me. I bought the plastic shoe boxes from the dollar store and place them on the bookcase shelves. From there I label. Favorite authors, series, etc. I also label some by month. These are books I set out for students to occasionally read, or books I use to teach with. Books that they can always read and are in a classroom library or "book nook" are rotated on a book case so covers show, and are organized by reading level.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1 comments Something that I've seen teachers use is the AR system (http://www.arbookfind.com/). They put different color stickers on books to show the level. Students know the level that they're on and can just go find a book with that color sticker. This helps them pick books that aren't too hard or too easy.