Book Snails Book Group discussion

Group Information > Questions about the group? Ask them here!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

Allison  (bookgirl1987) | 1150 comments Mod
This space is reserved for questions about the group, and hopefully helpful answers are to follow!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Heya, I was wondering-is the group limited to a particular genre of books or can anything (within reason) be suggested?

message 3: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

Hey there, Nikky! With the exception of erotica or anything politically-charged, the genres are unlimited. I personally would enjoy having a nice mix of fiction/non-fiction and our selections will be based on popular vote. (Almost) any title can be suggested! You have a title (or a list of titles) in mind?

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Here are some books that look interesting.
1) Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Gawande
2) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
3) The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens
4) The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls
5) Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
6) The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio: How My Mother Raised 10 Kids on 25 Words or Less by Terry Ryan

message 5: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

Julie wrote: "Here are some books that look interesting.
1) Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Gawande
2) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
3) The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens
4) The Glass Castl..."

Yes, great list! I think all but 1 of these titles is on my TBR!

message 6: by Candace (new)

Candace (candywilliams) | 454 comments Are there any writers in the group? What about book reviewers (those who welcome writers to submit their books for reviews.) If there are writers and reviewers, maybe they could team up?

message 7: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments Candace wrote: "Are there any writers in the group? What about book reviewers (those who welcome writers to submit their books for reviews.) If there are writers and reviewers, maybe they could team up?"

Do y'all think we should add a new Discussion topic where authors and reviewers can powwow?

Maybe 'Authors & Reviewers Chat' , or whatever y'all suggest.

message 8: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) Sounds good to me!

message 9: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments I added a totally new Folder, and one topic under it so far:

Folder: Authors & Reviewers Chat
--> Topic: REVIEWERS wanted!

message 10: by Candace (new)

Candace (candywilliams) | 454 comments StarMan wrote: "Candace wrote: "Are there any writers in the group? What about book reviewers (those who welcome writers to submit their books for reviews.) If there are writers and reviewers, maybe they could tea..."

I thought maybe asking if there are any writers or reviewers in the group would be the way to begin. LOL

message 11: by Candace (new)

Candace (candywilliams) | 454 comments StarMan wrote: "Candace wrote: "Are there any writers in the group? What about book reviewers (those who welcome writers to submit their books for reviews.) If there are writers and reviewers, maybe they could tea..."

I thought maybe asking if there are any writers or reviewers in the group would be the way to begin. LOL

message 12: by Candace (new)

Candace (candywilliams) | 454 comments I was looking for a general discussion topic, but don't see one, so I hope y'all don't mind that I'm putting this here. Does anyone know:

What is with all the friend requests from people who just put "Hi" and a number, which looks like a telephone number w/o the area code?! Very annoying! This started happening within the last month or so ago, and it's getting more frequent.

message 13: by StarMan (last edited Jan 20, 2021 12:12AM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments Good question, Candace.

Those requests you are seeing are the equivalent of telemarketers (or worse, scammers), hoping you'll respond to their call / email / phone # / message / friend request.

Goodreads is well aware of the problem, but (in my opinion) to date has not been proactive enough in stopping the offenders. They rely on members to report such unwanted messages (see link below).

Those odd GR friend requests or messages are almost always from fake accounts. It's usually scammers (or automated 'bot' programs that create fake accounts), hoping you will reply, call a phone number, or click a link. The links may or may not dangerous; they could take you to an infected website, a phishing page (identity theft! awesome!), or maybe just a site that tries to sell you something.

[At one time, Goodreads stopped allowing members to put website links in their member profile, because criminals were posting links that gave users viruses, or led to malicious websites, or were just promoting stupid things outside Goodreads. I'm not sure if links in profiles are still blocked or not... but it may be why the scammers have resorted to tempting you with a phone # instead].

Indications of a fake member/account may include a recent join date, 0 or 1 book ratings or likes, or they have 0 friends. They may also have scanty contact info, suspicious names, or may list an odd country of origin.

I suggest all Goodreaders consider these quick methods to foil the scammers:

~~~~~~~~~~
(view spoiler)
~~~~~~~~~~

There have been temporary GR glitches in the past where even the above blocks failed to prevent nefarious people from abusing GR, so always think twice before accepting a friend request, or replying to a message.

There's more info in an older similar discussion topic:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 14: by Candace (new)

Candace (candywilliams) | 454 comments StarMan wrote: "Good question, Candace.

Those requests you are seeing are the equivalent of telemarketers (or worse, scammers), hoping you'll respond to their call / email / phone # / message / friend request.

..."

Thanks!!

message 15: by StarMan (last edited Jan 21, 2021 02:06PM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments Sheesh. I just flagged a bunch of scammers on GR (not in our group!). They are using book review space to yell at everyone to join the Illuminati (and thus become millionaires), by calling/emailing someone in Nigeria. I kid you not.

(Hopefully GR will ban those accounts).

message 16: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) Oh for Pete's sake!🙄

message 17: by Pien (new)

Pien | 544 comments Weirdo’s...