Mental Health Bookclub discussion

Archive > 37. Read the book that's been on your TBR the longest

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) This is one that I can't provide examples for as it depends what's on your TBR!

Discussion prompts
- What did / will you read for this task? What did you think of it?
- How long has this book been on your TBR? What has prevented you from reading it before now?
- Do you tend to read books from your TBR or just keep finding new ones?

message 2: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) For this task I read The Help, which was also one of our group reads. I loved it, such a well-written story about three awesome women!

It's been on my TBR since 2012 so it was definitely due a read. For most of the time, I didn't own the book so it wasn't top-of-mind for me to read (the number of books on my TBR that I DON'T own is well over 1000!), but once I did get hold of it I was a little put off by the length and a bit worried I wouldn't be able to get into it as I sometimes struggle to get into books if I've already seen the film. Happily that wasn't the case, and I genuinely really enjoyed it.

My mission in 2016 was to read all the unread books on my shelf before buying any new ones - I failed pretty badly as I think only a third of the books I read this year have been ones I owned before 2016. Whenever I make resolutions like that, I tend to rebel against myself (yep, that kinda gal!) to the point where I initially tried to get round my own rule by not spending money on new books - i.e. getting them from the library, signing up to a book swap site, buying them with Amazon vouchers, until I flat out just gave up and started buying books again! Totally missing the point of just reading what I already have! Ah well, something to work on in 2017.