Book Snails Book Group discussion

Social > Welcome & First Things First

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1150 comments Mod
Welcome to the Book Snails Book Group!

Hi, Allison here!

I started this group because I wasn't entirely satisfied with being a member in other groups here on Goodreads. The people are awesome and the books usually well-chosen and wonderful, but the reading pace was really stressing me out...and reading is NOT supposed to be stressful!

We're all different readers, and we all have different reading styles/paces. If you desire a space where you don't have to stress out over keeping up with the pages in order to contribute to discussions, please consider hanging out with our brand-new group!

Although we all want to bust through our TBR piles, we know that life intervenes and sometimes we have to adjust our reading plans/schedules. Simply put, our group won't have strict reading schedules, and we'll play much of the group by ear. We're not like other groups, and we don't have to be. No worries, because the members in this group are okay with a slower, more practical pace! (That 1,200-page Stephen King book is NOT going to get read in a week, guys, and it's perfectly fine!)

We're here to enjoy good books and I hope you join us to discover the pleasures of slower, more "savory" reading. It's more fun to read when we don't feel left behind and when we can take our eyes off the discussion clock! You might find that it makes your reading life a bit easier as well! :-)

See you all around!

Moderator Hugs,
Allison

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Hi Allison and other members!! I am happy to be included in your group. Thank you for having me! Julie

message 3: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Julie wrote: "Hi Allison and other members!! I am happy to be included in your group. Thank you for having me! Julie"

We hope you enjoy this space to read slowly, Julie. Happy to have you here, and please keep in touch!

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Jones Hello fellow snails! This is exactly what I need...fun

message 5: by Jade (new)

Jade (itsjade2011) I've always wanted to be part of a book club but I like to read my own books as well as the chosen book for the club, which means it gets read slower, so this is perfect, thank you for allowing me to join :)

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah A (simplerevelry) | 1 comments Thanks for the invite! I'm excited to have a group to discuss with! :)

message 7: by Geneva (new)

Geneva I'm so happy there is a group like this! I'm dyslexic and it's quite challenging sometimes to read at a fast pace. My reading speed is improving but having a deadline always stresses me out. I'm really looking forward to being part of a community of other book snails :D

message 8: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (bookboss) | 20 comments Hello! I am happy to have found this group as well :) I love to read but have noticed (especially since finding goodreads!) that I must be a slow reader! I am definitely a book snail :)

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 29 comments I was so pleased to be invited to join this group. I am in central Pennsylvania and I'm an avid reader. I read pretty quickly, but I am not a fan of "book club" books, because there are so many I want to read and at my age I enjoy the story. I don't always need to learn and I don't want to cry over a book. I read some non-fiction but by my choice and on topics of my intrest.
My favorites are cozy mysteries and chick-lit.

message 10: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Laura wrote: "Hello fellow snails! This is exactly what I need...fun "

Welcome Laura! Let's have some fun reading slowly ;-)

message 11: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Jade wrote: "I've always wanted to be part of a book club but I like to read my own books as well as the chosen book for the club, which means it gets read slower, so this is perfect, thank you for allowing me ..."

Glad to provide a space for you, Jade!

message 12: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Sarah wrote: "Thanks for the invite! I'm excited to have a group to discuss with! :)"

Glad to have you, Sarah!

message 13: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Geneva wrote: "I'm so happy there is a group like this! I'm dyslexic and it's quite challenging sometimes to read at a fast pace. My reading speed is improving but having a deadline always stresses me out. I'm re..."

Glad you found the group, Geneva! I get so stressed out thinking I have to read a book by a certain date in order to discuss with others. It takes the fun right out of it for me. People leave me in the dust every time! I try but I fail most of the time.

message 14: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Hilary wrote: "Hello! I am happy to have found this group as well :) I love to read but have noticed (especially since finding goodreads!) that I must be a slow reader! I am definitely a book snail :)"

Hilary, you're not alone! The struggle is real...but hopefully not in this group :-)

message 15: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Debbie wrote: "I was so pleased to be invited to join this group. I am in central Pennsylvania and I'm an avid reader. I read pretty quickly, but I am not a fan of "book club" books, because there are so many I w..."

Hello, Debbie, glad you're here! Glad to hear you're an avid reader. We're avid readers, just slow when it comes to turning the pages (well, comparatively, I guess). Some people in these book clubs read almost a book per day, and I can't do it! (I always wonder what they're neglecting in order to read so much!) We will eventually get polls up for voting on books, and I hope you find the selections to your liking.

message 16: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 29 comments I'm anxious to check out a reading list. I hate reading on a dead line and I was so happy when the library went to a 3 week check-out. I normally read about 3 books a week and I wonder too how you can read a book a-day.

message 17: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey I'm so glad I found this group! Like others have said, I like reading the books that the group reads, but I also like reading other books as well, so it's tough for me to finish all those books in (usually) a month. I read about two books a month, and even that's tough sometimes, due to work, and other plans! This group sounds like it'll be a lot of fun :)

message 18: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (last edited Jul 13, 2016 09:02AM) (new)

Debbie wrote: "I'm anxious to check out a reading list. I hate reading on a dead line and I was so happy when the library went to a 3 week check-out. I normally read about 3 books a week and I wonder too how you ..."

I wish my public library would increase to 3-week rentals, that would really help! What do you think about brainstorming as a group and coming up with genre lists for book choices?

message 19: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Kelsey wrote: "I'm so glad I found this group! Like others have said, I like reading the books that the group reads, but I also like reading other books as well, so it's tough for me to finish all those books in ..."

Hope you enjoy yourself here, Kelsey. Do you have any suggestions for book choices?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi all :) how wonderful to join a group that takes reading nice and slow!!! I can be a terribly slow reader and take weeks on end to finish a book and at times I have to start again because I forget how it started!! Other times (not often :D) I can go through a book in no time, but I prefer a far slower pace, looking forward to being a member more and being invoked XD

message 21: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Welcome Nikky! I hope you enjoy reading slowly with the snails in this group.

message 22: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Smith | 1 comments Thanks for the invite!!! I always have to laugh a little when I'm barely through the first chapter and the rest of the group is already done with the book :/ My life does not have time for all the reading that I would like at the moment and I feel like I'm always playing catch up. Thanks for setting this up!

message 23: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

My pleasure Trisha! This group is specifically designed for the busy students, career people, and mothers and fathers who are too busy with life sometimes (ok, most of the time) to read a book per week or some other nonsense lol. I've noticed a few new members also cite wanting to read their own chosen books IN ADDITION TO the selected/voted on book group reads--and they seem to be suffering from time crunch. This will hopefully help with some of the stress. Welcome aboard! Also, looking for book ideas from group members so please contribute if you can!

message 24: by Just Elise (last edited Jul 13, 2016 10:21AM) (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments Hi Everyone! Allison, thank you for the invite, and for starting this group. :) I don't get a lot of time to read, and when I do, I tend to read slowly because I appreciate the writing more when I do. Fantasy and horror are my favorite genres, and I love reading classics as well.

message 25: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 29 comments I guess most of my reading is series books ( I always think that makes me sound like a grade schooler) but I like the idea of really getting to know everyone for more than one book. It seems you spend all this time getting the characters straight in your head and the book is done.
I have just about finished reading through Janet Evanovich..Stephanine Plum series. I laughed so much reading it that my husband read through the whole series in 5 months.

message 26: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller Hello my name is Gerry or Gerald. I live in Wilmington,De. I am 64. I have always been a slow reader. During my working days I did a lot of audible. I listened to several books mostly novels. After being laid off I stopped listening. . Now I want to read. My biggest problem is that at night I have other things that I would rather do like watch TV. I really need to push to read and I hope to get a better idea on how to do that now.

message 27: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Just Elise wrote: "Hi Everyone! Allison, thank you for the invite, and for starting this group. :) I don't get a lot of time to read, and when I do, I tend to read slowly because I appreciate the writing more when I ..."

Elise, we plan on taking our sweet time here. We're all about encouraging others to read, but we understand that we can't just fly through every book either. It's ok, even better, in my opinion, to read slowly. I too understand things better and enjoy the reading much more. No one's racing the clock, and I'm glad. I'd like to get more into fantasy myself, I already enjoy horror, and am reading a few classics right now electronically!

message 28: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Debbie wrote: "I guess most of my reading is series books ( I always think that makes me sound like a grade schooler) but I like the idea of really getting to know everyone for more than one book. It seems you sp..."

Debbie, series are awesome when you can find great ones! Kudos to you and your husband for knocking out the Stephanie Plum series...you must really love the characters!

message 29: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 29 comments The series is so funny. If you haven't tried it and you want to laugh this is it. You really need to start with book one and read in order because there is a definite history built all through.

message 30: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Debbie wrote: "The series is so funny. If you haven't tried it and you want to laugh this is it. You really need to start with book one and read in order because there is a definite history built all through."

Might have to check it out!

message 31: by Karl (new)

Karl -- Hello everyone, and thank you Allison for the invitation to join the group, It's nice to be around some nice sounding folks. --

message 32: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Karl wrote: "-- Hello everyone, and thank you Allison for the invitation to join the group, It's nice to be around some nice sounding folks. --"

Welcome to the group, Karl! Hope you have a nice time reading slowly with us.

message 33: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Gerald wrote: "Hello my name is Gerry or Gerald. I live in Wilmington,De. I am 64. I have always been a slow reader. During my working days I did a lot of audible. I listened to several books mostly novels. After..."

I think a nice community of book lovers is just the motivation we ALL need, Gerald!

message 34: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bagpipegirl) This is such a great idea, thank you for inviting me! I've always shied away from book clubs because of the pace. I want to savor my books, take time to reflect & even expand my vocabulary & general knowledge by looking things up as I go. Lets do this thing! :)

message 35: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Elizabeth, so glad you joined us! You're welcome for the invitation! Sounds like you're the perfect candidate for the Snails. I'm ready to get the show on the road as well, my TBR list won't read itself lol.

message 36: by April (new)

April Munday | 13 comments Thank you for inviting me. Yes, I am a slow reader, because I'm usually reading more than one book at a time (or more than 10 at the moment).

message 37: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

April wrote: "Thank you for inviting me. Yes, I am a slow reader, because I'm usually reading more than one book at a time (or more than 10 at the moment)."

You are welcome, April! Have fun reading slowly with us. I'm reading at least a dozen books right now myself!

message 38: by StarMan (last edited Sep 05, 2016 10:23AM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments Welcome, Gerald, Karl, Elizabeth, April and anyone new I missed :)

snail

message 39: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Welcome one and all !!! Our group is at 77 and growing every day. I am so thankful Allison started this group. I don't know what I would do without all of you. I love our group. So happy to have the new members! If you have a chance, please check out our "Polls" section and our "Discussions" section. We love to hear from you, as this is a democratic group.

"Polls" link: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

"Discussions" link: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/list_...

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy Thank you for the invite! This is great. I am actually quite a fast reader when I read... but as a mom of two with a full-time job outside of the home, there will be times when I go days without picking up a book. I love the attitude conveyed here - - read what you can when you can!

message 41: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Amy wrote: "Thank you for the invite! This is great. I am actually quite a fast reader when I read... but as a mom of two with a full-time job outside of the home, there will be times when I go days without pi..."

Glad to have you, Amy!

message 42: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Dee ~ Chillin’ Out wrote: "I felt that way too Allison, about the reading paces. Sometimes the books were just like they were stuck to each other, and I didn’t see the ends. It felt like I wasn’t processing what I was reading!"

The pace of other groups can get ridiculous!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... I hate to even admit how fast I read. But I also enjoy having this group to bring me more books I didn't know from before.

message 44: by Candace (new)

Candace (candywilliams) | 452 comments Kelly, I wish I was an Uber 🐌 like you. So many 📚 I’d love to read. Someday, there will be an app for our brains to absorb books by sniffing them or something.
💕
Dee, I know whatcha mean! I am feeling relaxed lately reading and paying full attention to just one book (The Count of Monte Cristo.)

message 45: by StarMan (last edited Jan 08, 2020 05:57PM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments It doesn't matter how fast you read, as long as you enjoy the experience! And reading -- at any pace -- is good for your brain:

https://www.realsimple.com/health/pre...
or
https://www.thebestbrainpossible.com/...

I think I'm a fairly speedy Snail, but I know many people who read faster and/or more often than I do. I don't read every day; when I do, it's usually 1/2 to 1 book at night. Occasionally I'll read 2 books back-to-back at night (yay, insomnia).

I mostly crime/thriller or SciFi/speculative fiction books, and some YA books. Once in a while I'll read a random book in a less-favorite genre (fantasy, biography, non-fiction, etc.). I don't really like audio books, as I can read the book much, much faster.

I don't tackle a lot of super-long books (over 500 pages). I generally read about a page a minute (paperback), but I've been known to skim the boring parts!

And I'm trying to use my B&N Nook eReader more often, and whittle down the # of physical books.

message 46: by Reed (new)

Reed (reedster6) | 4 comments Am I welcome on this new group for me?

message 47: by Pien (new)

Pien | 527 comments Hi Reed, of course you are! Welcome!

message 48: by Candace (new)

Candace (candywilliams) | 452 comments Absolutely you're welcome!

message 49: by Keli, Keli Snail (new)

Keli | 447 comments Mod
Yet again, I'm late to the party. Welcome Reed. I hope you enjoy the group.