Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Nyphron Rising (The Riyria Revelations, #3)
This topic is about Nyphron Rising

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Discussion for the first half of the Rise of Empire omnibus, Nyphron Rising.

message 2: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek, when do you want to start this one?

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Wednesday it is. How do you wanna do it? Chapter by chapter or daily or something else?

message 4: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek wrote: "Wednesday it is. How do you wanna do it? Chapter by chapter or daily or something else?"

Doesn't matter - just post whenever you feel like posting :) Chapter by chapter is pretty good if the chapters aren't too short. Just make sure you hide all the spoilers in case one of us is ahead or behind and then say where it is in the book.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Ok great:)starting tomorrow then

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Started this in the early morning today:) Once again from the very begining iam instantly hooked. Chapters 1-4 (view spoiler)

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments By the way...did anyone notice a patern in the single books color? I read somewhere that Sullivan hinted at this. the first is yellow second is blue and the third is green. Then the 4th is yellow again the 5th blue and the 6th green.

message 8: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek wrote: "Started this in the early morning today:) Once again from the very begining iam instantly hooked. Chapters 1-4 [spoilers removed]"
(view spoiler)

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments I know hes acting a bit like a spoiled teen...i dont wanna play anymore...get it together Hadrian. On the other hand maybe its his past, whatever it is, calling to him in some subtle way. Still, I am wondering how can they not see that they are in the middle of something huge coming....

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments by the way iam so glad that we have prequels cause i so wanna read about the crown tower, the story with gwen, how they exactly came together for the first time. Chapter 5 explains a bit about that but not in detail

message 11: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek wrote: "by the way iam so glad that we have prequels cause i so wanna read about the crown tower, the story with gwen, how they exactly came together for the first time. Chapter 5 explains a bit about that..."

I read The Crown Tower first - it's a lot of fun :)

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Iam wondering Jenna, do you have any thoughts about who could be the descendants of the protector and the heir?

message 13: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek wrote: "Iam wondering Jenna, do you have any thoughts about who could be the descendants of the protector and the heir?"

I generally try to stay away for theorizing because I usually end up disappointed. I don't piece things together actively, but when it is revealed, I will either be shocked or not surprised at all. If I'm not surprised that means I probably pieced it together subconciously.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments I understand:) what do you think about the feel of this book? It seems to be darker than the previous ones. More...adult I would say. I think its a good thing. If we got the same thing for the third time I don't think it would be as interesting.

message 15: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek wrote: "I understand:) what do you think about the feel of this book? It seems to be darker than the previous ones. More...adult I would say. I think its a good thing. If we got the same thing for the thir..."

It is a bit darker and so far I'm not sure if I like the first one better or this one...we'll have to wait and see

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments How far along are you? Ian middle of chapter 7

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Royce is such a badass:) I love this guy. Iam really curious about his past

message 18: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

I'm on chapter 8 - I love Royce so much. He's my favourite of all the characters so far.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments I really liked the whole scene on the river:D

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Finished chapter 8. The pace has slowed a bit in this book but that doesnt mean that its bad. We get more character and world building which being not to excessive it really nice. Sometimes its good to slow down a bit before speeding up again. More insight to Hadrians past this time which was interesting. I Wonder will Royce and Hadrian will have a falling out at some point

message 21: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek wrote: "Finished chapter 8. The pace has slowed a bit in this book but that doesnt mean that its bad. We get more character and world building which being not to excessive it really nice. Sometimes its goo..."

If they do, I don't think it will last long - they were made to be together.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Yeah i dont think either would manage without the other. They complement each other so well. But Royce is a little selfish by keeping the truth from Hadrian. But then who could blame him. Hadrian is all he has. I mean there's Gwen but its not that kind of bond

message 23: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek wrote: "Yeah i dont think either would manage without the other. They complement each other so well. But Royce is a little selfish by keeping the truth from Hadrian. But then who could blame him. Hadrian i..."

I think is definitely a bit of selfishness, but he does have a point that Hadrian would just go and get himself killed for no reason. I think he's also right not to totally trust Esra Hadden - he was locked up for 1000 years for a reason.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Totally agree. Esra definitely has a hidden agenda. I like the way arista is opening up to the art of magic. I think she's gonna make it rain:)

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments up to chapter 14 - (view spoiler) I will probably be finishing it today. As fort he next one Jenna Iam ready to start whenever you are. It might take a bit longer than 3 days this time since I really want to catch up a little bit on the second book of the Black Company Shadows Linger. Things are starting to get really interesting there:)

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Finished:D what a ride:) in chapter 16 there was a scene where I actually yelled out loud "yes"!! :) I liked that this one was a bit darker for a change. Lots of back story on Hadrian and Royce. We also met some very interesting new characters. The ending...well lets just say you wanna dive into the next one more than ever:D

message 27: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

I finished last night and I accidentally started the next one without even realizing because I have the two book omnibus. I could wait a bit to read the next one though because I am doing The Shadow Campaigns series. I did not like (view spoiler).

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments No worries:) Iam doing the black company like I said before so ill be catching up on that during the weekend. Nevertheless Ian good to go whenever you are so just let me know when you want to start:)

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Random thoughts - on one hand Royce and Hadrian are your typical mercenaries with Royce being ex guild assasin and Hadrian a sword for hire bad ass characters with some dark pasts and bad things done. On the other hand they always seem to do the" right thing". They continue jobs they could abandon. They take jobs for free cause its the good thing to do. They let people live who more than deserve to die and so on. That's all great Ian loving them so much but, its probably just me but I would like to see them sometimes just you know. This guy cheated us, he gotta die no questions asked. Maybe they are just a little bit too correct. I know we're told about their past and they did this stuff but its just a recollection. They never do it in the story

message 30: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek wrote: "Random thoughts - on one hand Royce and Hadrian are your typical mercenaries with Royce being ex guild assasin and Hadrian a sword for hire bad ass characters with some dark pasts and bad things do..."

Well, it's mostly because of Hadrian. He was so sick of killing and all the violence he committed, but he still wants to have a purpose in his life and stealing is something he is good at. Also, even though Royce is morally ambiguous, Hadrian keeps him at bay and their dialogue is so great that I usually don't care if Royce never does anything bad. I mostly don't have a problem with them seemingly always doing the right thing because Michael Sullivan is not advertising his books as grimdark in any way - just two unlikely partners out for adventures.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments You're probably correct. Before this I was reading the broken empire trilogy, the first law and black company so I just got used to things like that

message 32: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jul 16, 2016 12:44AM) (new)

Jarek wrote: "You're probably correct. Before this I was reading the broken empire trilogy, the first law and black company so I just got used to things like that"

Yeah, I always compare books to the other ones I have been reading recently and sometimes it's good to have two very different types of books, but sometimes it will have you raising eyebrows. I read Gardens of the Moon at the same time as the last book in the Farseer Trilogy and I almost tore my eyes out at all the unnecessarily repeated information in Farseer. It was mostly because I was reading GotM which was a lot more complicated. I loved the first of the Farseer books and also really liked the second, but just suffered through a lot of the third.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments I haven't read any of them so far. Maybe ill give them a go in the future. As for Gotm. It was a really hard read for me. Putting it down for weeks picking it up again. Same thing with DHG. 50% in and had to put it down. The stories are really epic but I just can't seem to get the reading flow nicely with those books. I might just give up on the series. Not saying its bad
it's really awesome

message 34: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek wrote: "I haven't read any of them so far. Maybe ill give them a go in the future. As for Gotm. It was a really hard read for me. Putting it down for weeks picking it up again. Same thing with DHG. 50% in ..."

I love the Malazan series so far, but it does take a lot of time and concentration until you get the hang of the writing style. Then it just takes a lot of time.

message 35: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

I'm actually good to start the next one whenever you are, Jarek. I just finished the other book I was reading.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments How about Monday? New week new read:)

message 37: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek wrote: "How about Monday? New week new read:)"

Sounds good :)

message 38: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments I just skimmed the comments here, as I'm only 100 pages in. So far I am enjoying this a lot more than Avempartha, and it seems to be on par with Book 1. I'm hoping to make quick progress with this so should be back with more comments soon!

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Sean the ending in this one and the first chapter in the next is so awesome:)

message 40: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments Chapter 9

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Sean wrote: "Chapter 9

[spoilers removed]"

Well we visited Hadrian's home - we have to visit Royce's too.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Keep an eye on that magician from the academy.
Ratibor...such a pleasant place:D

message 43: by Seán (last edited Jul 22, 2016 03:20AM) (new)

Seán | 602 comments Ending:

(view spoiler)

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Get ready for the first chapter of emerald Storm Sean
:D