Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

General > Which books should I bring?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M. (new)

M. | 4 comments I'm going on a trip and trying to pick 3 Agatha Christie books to bring. I've read them all multiple times, but not in many years. I'm definitely fonder of Poirot than Miss Marple. Any stuck on a plane (instead of a desert island) suggestions?

message 2: by Helle (new)

Helle (helleb) | 21 comments Death in the Clouds comes to mind

message 3: by Brad (new)

Brad Friedman | 191 comments My three favorite Poirots - and they all give you a different experience because they come from three different decades - are Death on the Nile, Five Little Pigs, and After the Funeral. You can't go wrong with this trio! Have a great trip, M!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

M. wrote: "I'm going on a trip and trying to pick 3 Agatha Christie books to bring. I've read them all multiple times, but not in many years. I'm definitely fonder of Poirot than Miss Marple. Any stuck on a p..."
I second Helle's suggestion of Death in the Clouds, alternate title Death in the Air (1935). It's the first Christie I read at the age of 12 or 13, and it's very good. It's a "closed room" mystery, the closed room being the plane! Hercule Poirot is himself a passenger on the plane and therefore technically a suspect.

Two of my other favourite ACs featuring Poirot are Appointment with Death (1938) and Sad Cypress (1940). As you can see, my favourite Christies are generally from the 30s and 40s.

Have a great trip and happy reading.

message 5: by M. (new)

M. | 4 comments Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I may have all of them on my bookshelf. We have an 8-hour flight without onboard entertainment or WiFi! So I thought what great opportunity to reread some Agatha Christies.

All of these sound great, and ones that I don't think I'd remember right away (apart from Funerals Are Fatal). I did have to look up a couple of Brad's suggestions since my childhood copies have the original titles. :)

Thank you!!