Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2016 discussion

Assorted & Sundry Matters > Someone Else Pick It For Me- August

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 1167 comments Mod
If you are willing to place one of your August reading choices in the hands of another person, just leave a comment here with at least five books and no more than ten from your TBR shelf. Participants need to leave comments no later than July 28th.

Here's how it will work:
Sophia will match people up and leave a comment with a list of who will choose for whom.
When you see the person you are to pick for, then just look at their list in the above comments and leave a new comment with their name and the book you chose for them by Aug 1st.

You also need to watch and see what book your person chose from your list for you.
You have the rest of the month to read the book.

So if this sounds like something you would like to do, just comment below leaving your name and list of book choices for someone to pick your August book.

message 2: by Sophia (new)

Looking forward to another adventure in book land with some one else picking one of my challenge books for me. :)

1. The Coming of Age of Elizabeth Bennet by Caitlin Williams
2. From This Day Forward by Joana Starnes
3. Win, Lose, or Darcy by Jennifer Joy
4. Sketching Character by Pamela Lynne
5. Bluebells in Mourning by Karalynne Mackrory
6. The Secrets of Elizabeth and Darcy by Victoria Kincaid
7. Remember the Past by Maria Grace
8. To Refine Like Silver by Jeanna Ellsworth
9. Finding Mr. Darcy by Erin Butler
10. The Red Chrysanthemum by Linda Beutler

message 3: by Patricia (last edited Jul 28, 2016 09:23PM) (new)

message 4: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 277 comments I'm going to sit out the August one Sophia. I have so much stuff to read and I'm getting bogged down. Will be back in for the one after that though because I really enjoy this.

message 5: by Sophia (new)

Teresa wrote: "I'm going to sit out the August one Sophia. I have so much stuff to read and I'm getting bogged down. Will be back in for the one after that though because I really enjoy this."

I hear you on that one, Teresa. :) Never any pressure here. We'll see you for October. Enjoy working on your stack.

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary | 452 comments Would love to participate in this again. Here's my list-

1. A moment forever by C.Gardiner.
2.The Rainbow Promise by L.Lilian.
3.Repressed Feelings by Alex9903.
4.Guilt Trip by J.Caldwell.
5. Officious Interference by Alex9903.
6.Mr Darcy's Journey by A.Reynolds.

Thanks Sophia.

message 9: by Kirk (last edited Jul 14, 2016 07:24PM) (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 143 comments Thanks again and again.....

1)Aerendgast by Rachel Berman
2)Brinshore by Ann Mychal
3)Dear Jane Austen by Patrice Hannon
4)The Man who loved Pride and Prejudice(long overdue reread) by Abigail Reynolds
5)Searching for Pemberley by Mary Lydon Simonsen
6)The Gentleman's Daughter: Women's Lives in Georgian England by Amanda Vickery(this one, stolen off Abigail's list...lol not ever reading her #2, #3 one of my favorite Austen books ever, #4 Love John Wiltshire, but didn't understand this one)

message 10: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) I’m in again! Hoping to read one of the nonfiction ones this time around, so I put in only one fiction option.

1. Amanda Vickery, The Gentleman's Daughter: Women's Lives in Georgian England
2. Robert Rodi, Bitch In a Bonnet: Reclaiming Jane Austen From the Stiffs, the Snobs, the Simps and the Saps, Volume 2 (have read vol. 1 and need to get to vol. 2)
3. John Mullan, What Matters in Jane Austen?: Twenty Crucial Puzzles Solved
4. John Wiltshire, The Hidden Jane Austen
5. Darcie Wilde, A Useful Woman

message 11: by Erika (new)

Erika (eureeka75) | 167 comments I'm in!!! Okay, now I must make my list. Ummmmmm....

1. Arsenic with Austen Katherine Bolgar Hide (it's a Persuasionesque book)
2. So Odd a Mixture: Along the Autistic Spectrum in 'Pride and Prejudice' Phyllis Ferguson Bottomer
3. Mr. Darcy's Proposal Susan Mason-Milks
4. Alias Thomas Bennet: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Suzan Lauder
5. Overlooked Helen Williams
6. Behind the Mask: A Pride & Prejudice Alternative Novel Bronwen Chisholm
7. Pride and Platypus: Mr. Darcy's Dreadful Secret Vera Nazarian
8. The Resolute Suitor: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Donn H Miller
9. The Red Chrysanthemum Linda Beutler
10. Mistaking Her Character: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Maria Grace

I look forward to reading which ever book is chosen for me!!!!

message 12: by Georgiana (last edited Jul 12, 2016 02:58AM) (new)

Georgiana 1792 | 70 comments I'm in! I hope to find a tiny amount of time to read (and review, that's the problem!) the book someone will pick for me.

1. Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld
2. Sense & Sensibility by Joanna Trollope
3. Northanger Abbey by Val McDermid
4. The Man Who Loved Jane Austen by Sally Smith O'Rourke
5. Mr. Darcy's Refuge: A Pride & Prejudice Variation by Abigail Reynolds
6. The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su and Kate Rorick

message 13: by ana (new)

ana darcy (anadarcy) | 4 comments Go for Mr. Darcy's Refuge to start with. Really good book.

message 14: by ana (new)

ana darcy (anadarcy) | 4 comments Erika wrote: "I'm in!!! Okay, now I must make my list. Ummmmmm....

1. Arsenic with Austen Katherine Bolgar Hide (it's a Persuasionesque book)
2. So Odd a Mixture: Along the Autistic Spectr..."</i>

<i>Abigail wrote: "I’m in again! Hoping to read one of the nonfiction ones this time around, so I put in only one fiction option.

1. Amanda Vickery, [book:The Gentleman's Daughter: Women's Lives in Georgian England
Katherine Bolgar Hide (it's a Persuasionesque book)
2. [book:So Odd a Mixture: Along the Autistic Spectr..."

Erika, go for the Red Chrysamthemum. Lovely book!

message 15: by Sophia (new)

Oh, how nice, a hint about a good one. Thanks, Ana!

message 16: by ana (new)

ana darcy (anadarcy) | 4 comments I have a couple of these books reviewed on my blog in case someone would like to check https://myvicesandweaknesses.wordpres...

I do not know if to participate because I have so many books to read!!

message 17: by Sophia (new)

No pressure to participate, Ana! We do this activity every other month so you can wait if you like for a month when you're better able.
But we'd love to have you if you can. :)

message 18: by Georgiana (new)

Georgiana 1792 | 70 comments Ana wrote: "Go for Mr. Darcy's Refuge to start with. Really good book."

I should read it in Italian (even though I have the paperback version in English), because they transleted into my language. But I'm frightened because I read Mr. Darcy’s Noble Connections translated by the same person, and it was a job badly done...

message 19: by Deborah (last edited Jul 14, 2016 04:03AM) (new)

Deborah | 55 comments I am looking forward to having someone else pick for me again, so here goes my list:

1. A Constant Love: A Pride & Prejudice Continuation by Sophie Tuner
2. Chaos Comes to Longbourn by Victoia Kincaid
3. Win, Lose, or Darcy: A Pride & Prejudice Variation by Jennifer Joy
4, Into Kent by Stanley Hurd
5. The Rainbow Promise[book:On Oakham Mount: A Pride & Prejudice Variatione: After Rainy Days|30303278] by Lory Lilian
6. Shadows Over Longbourn by Jann Rowland
7. Darcy Chooses: A Pride and Prejudice Variation by Gianna Thomas
8. Side by Side, Apart by Ann Galvia
9. On Oakham Mount: A Pride & Prejudice Variation by Sophia Turner
10. Sufficient Encouragement: A Pride and Prejudice Variation by Rose Fairbanks

message 20: by Anji (last edited Jul 16, 2016 12:57AM) (new)

message 22: by ana (new)

ana darcy (anadarcy) | 4 comments Kim wrote: "I'm in, here's my list:
1. My Own Mr. Darcy by Karey White
2. Bound by Love by Jann Rowland
3. [book:Jane by the Sea: Jane Austen'..."

Pride and Persistence :)

message 23: by Sophia (new)

Hi Everyone! Sorry to be late by one day with the match-ups (forgot)

But anywho, here we go:

Sophia---> Abigail
Patricia---> Georgiana
Debbie---> Erika
Sheila ---> Deborah
Mary ---> Anji
Kirk ---> Sophia
Abigail ---> Kim
Erika ---> Debbie
Georgiana ---> Patricia
Deborah ---> Mary
Anji ---> Sheila
Kim ---> Kirk

Try to make your picks by Aug 1st (even though I forgot and you have one less day. ;)
And if something came up and you can't participate let me know so we can work around it.
Enjoy your picks, all! :)

message 24: by Sophia (new)

Howdy, Abigail!

I drew your name and I'm picking Robert Rodi's Bitch in a Bonnet 2 so you can have both parts finished and breath a sigh of relief that it is no longer incomplete. LOL

message 25: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 143 comments Hi Sophia,

Thanks for posting!! And thanks for a "challenging" list. :) Not familiar with any of them. But, having read the descriptions.....I'm very much hoping you find Win, Lose, or Darcy very much to your August reading pleasure! Cheers!!!

message 26: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments georgiana you picked some good ones! I'll be back later with my choice for you. I'm torn between two.

message 27: by Sophia (new)

Kirk wrote: "Hi Sophia,

Thanks for posting!! And thanks for a "challenging" list. :) Not familiar with any of them. But, having read the descriptions.....I'm very much hoping you find Win, Lose, or Darcy very ..."

Oh yes, that is a surprise to have a wholly unknown group for you, Kirk. Win or lose, I'll be sure to share my thoughts on your choice (though it's Jennifer so how could I lose). ;)

message 28: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 849 comments Erika! Hi! Well, I decided you'll be reading Mistaking Her Character. It was a 5-star book for me. Major departure from canon, especially Mr. Bennet's character, who is just despicable. Hope you're good with the extreme changes and enjoy it as much as I did.

message 29: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Thanks so much for that pick, Sophia! I admit it has been bothering me. ;-)

Kim, for you I’ll recommend something lighter for a good summer read: Villa Fortuna - Pride, Prejudice, and a Haircut by Cat Gardiner. Hope you have a blast!

message 30: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments I choose the man who loves Jane Austen. I am curious what's it's like and if you recommend it georgiana. :-)

message 31: by Sophia (new)

Abigail wrote: "Thanks so much for that pick, Sophia! I admit it has been bothering me. ;-)

Kim, for you I’ll recommend something lighter for a good summer read: [book:Villa Fortuna - Pride, Prejudice, and a Hair..."

You betcha!

message 32: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments Deborah, there were a number of good ones there on your list. How about if I give you Side by Side, Apart by Ann Galvia

I read it as WIP when it was entitled Bruises and then as it was published. Fantastic story.

message 33: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Sheila wrote: "I'm in and have some new ones for someone to select from."

Hi Sheila.

When I was (a very great deal) younger, I had a spell where I was always reading romances involving deserts and sheikhs, so I guess you know what I'm picking for you this time! I've only just come across this one, here on GR, a couple of days ago and it sounds rather intriguing.

The Sheik of Araby: Pride and Prejudice in the Desert by Lavinia Angell

message 34: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments Claudine told me about this series two days ago and Debbie said she read and loved the first two so this was actually just added to my list. But I am sure I will enjoy it. Thanks. Hope you are feeling better.

message 35: by Mary (new)

Mary | 452 comments Anji-for you I choose Obstinate,Headstrong Girl. Looking forward to reading your thoughts! Enjoy!

message 36: by Deborah (last edited Jul 29, 2016 05:30PM) (new)

Deborah | 55 comments Sheila wrote: "Deborah, there were a number of good ones there on your list. How about if I give you Side by Side, Apart by Ann Galvia

I read it as WIP when it was entitled Bruises and then as i..."

Looking forward to reading it. It has been pulling at me for a while 9as have some others so thank you for the choice. Will let you know what I
think of it.

message 37: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 55 comments Mary wrote: "Would love to participate in this again. Here's my list-

1. A moment forever by C.Gardiner.
2.The Rainbow Promise by L.Lilian.
3.Repressed Feelings by Alex9903.
4.Guilt Trip by J.Caldwell.
5. O..."

Mary, I've only read Abigail Reynold's book on your list and enjoyed it, but have read Lory Lilian's Rainy Days, but haven't had a chance to read Rainbow Promise as of yet, so Rainbow Promise is my choice for you.

message 38: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments Deborah wrote: "Sheila wrote: "Deborah, there were a number of good ones there on your list. How about if I give you Side by Side, Apart by Ann Galvia

I read it as WIP when it was entitled Bruise..."

If you read it as Bruises (as did I) then it is nothing new. How about
Chaos Comes to Longbourn: A Pride and Prejudice Variation

I read that and it too is amusing and well written.

message 39: by Deborah (last edited Jul 30, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Deborah | 55 comments Sheila wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Sheila wrote: "Deborah, there were a number of good ones there on your list. How about if I give you Side by Side, Apart by Ann Galvia

I read it as WIP when it was..."

I have not yet read Side by Side Apart, nor Bruisers, so as much as I would love to read Chaos Comes to Longbourn, I will stick with Side By Side Apart if that's ok with you.

message 40: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 849 comments Sheila wrote: "Claudine told me about this series two days ago and Debbie said she read and loved the first two so this was actually just added to my list. But I am sure I will enjoy it. Thanks. Hope you are feel..."

I was SO hoping Anji would choose that one for you, Sheila! I promise that you'll love it. Way outside the box, but I know you're good with that as long as it's done well, and it is.

message 41: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 849 comments Anji wrote: "Hi Sheila.

When I was (a very great deal) younger, I had a spell where I was always reading romances involving deserts a..."

Great choice, Anji, and I encourage you to read it, too!

message 42: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments I remember reading long ago a story which sounds like this among the historical romances that I was enthralled with so it is not outside the realm of acceptability for me.

message 43: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments I hope you love it. I couldn't get through all three books fast enough! The Sheik of Araby and P&P... Who knew?!

message 44: by Georgiana (new)

Georgiana 1792 | 70 comments Patricia wrote: "I choose the man who loves Jane Austen. I am curious what's it's like and if you recommend it georgiana. :-)"

Thank you, Patricia. For you I choose The Companion of His Future Life. I like very much Jack Caldwell, and I hope this one is good like his other books (I haven't read it yet, but it is on my TBR)!

message 45: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Mary wrote: "Anji-for you I choose Obstinate,Headstrong Girl. Looking forward to reading your thoughts! Enjoy!"

Thanks, Mary. It's another one I've had sitting on my bookshelf since not not after it was published, having won it in a giveaway. It's nearly worked it's way up to the top of my physical TBR pile now, since I re-organised things at the start of this challenge.

Will be sure to let folks know how I get on with it.

message 46: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 55 comments Sheila wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Sheila wrote: "Deborah, there were a number of good ones there on your list. How about if I give you Side by Side, Apart by Ann Galvia

I read it as WIP when it was..."

Sheila,
I've been thinking about it and am going to accept this as a double challenge and read both.

message 47: by Sheila (last edited Jul 30, 2016 02:58PM) (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments Anji wrote: "Sheila wrote: "I'm in and have some new ones for someone to select from."

Hi Sheila.

When I was (a very great deal) younger, I had a spell where I was always reading romances involving deserts a..."

Sorry, I couldn't wait - read this The Sheik of Araby: Pride and Prejudice in the Desert today and posted a review - 5 stars. Have to read the others in the series now.

message 48: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 849 comments HA! I knew you'd love it, Sheila!!

message 49: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments You are so right. I am reading Jann Rowland's latest but then I have to read the second in that series. Son of the East: Pride and Prejudice in the Desert Continues

message 50: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 849 comments That one is great, too, but not as good as the first.

« previous 1 3