The Plantagenets discussion

Group Reads > Nominations for August Read

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Portia, Novice Mod (new)

Portia | 264 comments Mod
Fiction or non-fiction? Doesn't matter. Please share your suggestions for a book or us to read in the month named for Augustus Caesar and that begins with the ancient Celtic feast of Lughnasa.

message 2: by RJay (new)

RJay (plantagenetjunkie) | 100 comments Mod
If we're going to alternate fiction/non-fiction, then August would be non-fiction. So, I'd like to nominate The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England by famous historian, Ian Mortimer. Its subtitle: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century". It's historical but narrative, so not a "tomb" with oodles of footnotes. Could be fun.

message 3: by Jane (last edited Jul 11, 2016 10:38AM) (new)

Jane That seems too restrictive or maybe I don't know enough about that time period. I'm reading one now that's kind of a mixture of nonfiction/fiction: Deus Lo Volt!: A Chronicle of the Crusades. The narrator [I don't know what else to call him] writes a chronicle of the crusades; I think he's taken excerpts from honest-to-goodness chronicles, with some fiction, of course. Towards the end of the book, he's there with King Louis of France.

message 4: by Taylor (new)

Taylor The Mortimer book is fabulous. I read it a while back and enjoyed it immensely. It really brings the time period to life. The reading of it could flesh out the other non-fiction we're reading to provide a fuller picture of the times.

message 5: by happy (new)

happy (happyone) | 142 comments RJay wrote: "If we're going to alternate fiction/non-fiction, then August would be non-fiction. So, I'd like to nominate The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England by famous historian, Ian Mortimer. Its subt..."

great book!

message 6: by RJay (new)

If we want to read another fiction book, I might suggest Bernard Cornwell's 1356. Love his writing. I've read several of the archer Thomas Hook books including Agincourt but haven't read this one yet. Would love to.

message 8: by happy (new)

happy (happyone) | 142 comments RJay wrote: "If we want to read another fiction book, I might suggest Bernard Cornwell's 1356. Love his writing. I've read several of the archer Thomas Hook books including Agincourt but haven't read this one y..."

I really enjoyed it, but in a couple of other groups I'm in, the reactions were mixed.

message 9: by RJay (new)

Laurie wrote: "Within the Fetterlock"

Love this book! And Brian Wainwright replies when you send him messages through GoodReads. Nice man.

message 10: by happy (new)

happy (happyone) | 142 comments Michael Jecks is writing a series on the 100 yr war

Book I

Fields of Glory (The Vintener Trilogy #1) by Michael Jecks

I liked it - it's about the Battle of Crecy. I'm anxiously awaiting the library getting book II

Blood on the Sand (The Vintener Trilogy #2) by Michael Jecks

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanconder) | 11 comments I have been keeping my eye on this group but haven't commented much. I like all the nominations so far. I've read the Time Traveler's book and enjoyed it, and I'm in favor of anything by Bernard Cornwell. I've not read Michael Jecks yet but he's on my to-read list.

I've heard lots of positive things about Within the Fetterlock on Goodreads, but it's a bit hard to find. It's available on Amazon (last I checked), but not all online booksellers, and it's not in any of the libraries in my area. But I've been interested in reading it for some time, so if this group chooses it I'd probably go ahead and buy it.

I'll nominate The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland. It's set during the time of Edward III.

message 12: by RJay (new)

Susan wrote: "I have been keeping my eye on this group but haven't commented much. I like all the nominations so far. I've read the Time Traveler's book and enjoyed it, and I'm in favor of anything by Bernard Co..."

Susan, thanks for weighing in. If you haven't tried this already, another option for Within the Fetterlock, or other older, less popular books, is to use Inter Library Loan (ILL) through your local library. This has been a wonderful resource for me with many books my local library doesn't own. It sometimes takes a little while to get them (sometimes not) and you can only keep the books for 3 weeks (typically) but it's a cost-effective alternative to buying.

message 13: by RJay (new)

happy wrote: "Michael Jecks is writing a series on the 100 yr war

Book I

Fields of Glory (The Vintener Trilogy #1) by Michael Jecks

I liked it - it's about the Battle of Crecy. I'm anxiously awaiting the library getting book II

[..."

This series looks good too.

message 14: by RJay (new)

Another option - Isabella of France: The Rebel Queen by Kathryn Warner. This book is new and has only a few GR's reviews but they give it 5 stars.

message 15: by Ami (new)

Ami | 33 comments Both the 'Time Traveler's Guide...' and 'Isabella of France...' are excellent choices! I recently listened to 'Fatal Colours' by George Goodwin on Audible and found it to be quite excellent and informative. It's technically about the Battle of Towton, but he gives chapters of information on the key players, great descriptions of the battles before Towton, and a most interesting theory on why Richard, DoY, left the safety of Sandal Castle during the Battle of Wakefield.

Once we get to the actual battle of Towton, we're given explicit descriptions of the battle itself, the weapons and armour, of both the Lord and the peasant, and everyone in between, and just how close it came to being a Lancastrian victory.

Anyway, my two cents

message 16: by Portia, Novice Mod (last edited Jul 17, 2016 10:20PM) (new)

Ok, let's everyone who wishes post one or two books between July 17 and July 20 for nomination. I'll gather the noms into a poll and let everyone one know.

Please type: I nominate X book
I nominate Y book also

I second X book

And so on so I don' t miss anyone's suggestions.

Think well, Plant People. August is harvest up hear, often very hot and humid and heavy winter down under. What book will fit the bill!

Good thinking,
Portia

message 17: by Ami (new)

Ami | 33 comments I nominate Fatal Colours by George Goodwin

My second choice goes to Isabella of France by Kathryn Warner!

-Ami

message 18: by Jane (new)

Jane For fiction if you choose that genre: I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince. If you do nonfiction this month, save it for when you next do fiction.

message 19: by Portia, Novice Mod (new)

I hope tour book is selected this round, Jane. Fingers X-ed

message 20: by RJay (new)

My suggestions:
First Choice - Isabella of France: Rebel Queen by Kathryn Warner
Second Choice - Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 75 comments The poll's open, by the way.

message 22: by RJay (new)

Everyone, you should have received an email to cast your vote. If you didn't please go to the polls section and let us know your preference.

message 23: by Hyarrowen (new)

Hyarrowen | 11 comments RJay wrote: "Everyone, you should have received an email to cast your vote. If you didn't please go to the polls section and let us know your preference."

I am a noob at this - could you post a link to the poll?

message 24: by RJay (new)

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

To all: You can always find the polls by clicking on "community", then to the 'Plantagenets'. Then look at the upper right corner and in mice type there are a variety of topics including 'polls'. Click there and you can see all the polls, including the latest.

message 25: by Hyarrowen (new)

Hyarrowen | 11 comments RJay wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

To all: You can always find the polls by clicking on "community", then to the 'Plantagenets'. Then look at the upper right cor..."

Found it, and thanks!

message 26: by Jane (new)

Jane RJay wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

To all: You can always find the polls by clicking on "community", then to the 'Plantagenets'. Then look at the upper right cor..."

That's too many steps. Other groups I belong to just post a link. No wonder that not many folks have voted.

message 27: by RJay (new)

Jane wrote: "RJay wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

To all: You can always find the polls by clicking on "community", then to the 'Plantagenets'. Then look at the up..."

Sorry if you missed it but I did send out an email with a link to the poll. At least, that's what the system said. If you and others didn't get it my apologies.

message 28: by Jane (new)

Jane RJay, I never got it in the first place -- oh well... apologies accepted.

message 29: by RJay (new)

Jane wrote: "RJay, I never got it in the first place -- oh well... apologies accepted."

Glad you spoke up and let me know you didn't get it.