Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Team Challenges Archive > Stories from the Wobble Front

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31506 comments Mod
Stories of love, loss and battle from those within Wobble.

Please be respectful of others work. Disrespectful comments will be removed.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 5: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Jul 10, 2016 12:33AM) (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Attention everyone! Attention! I’m the Burning Firebirds captain for the W.O.B.B.L.E. Reading Challenge by NBRC Goodreads group. I witnessed this. I experienced this. I was a part of this and this is my account of the occurrence. If you believe me or not, that doesn’t matter. What matters is I’m passing along this information for others, if one day you have this happen to you, this is what you need to do.

In the wee hours of a Saturday morning the evil Queen Vanda was bored and wanted to create havoc by this, she made every team from the W.O.B.B.L.E challenge paralyzed and they couldn’t read, play audiobook, or do much of anything. Sport Billy (don’t ask me who he is, this is the first time I’ve had encounters with the boy) and his sidekicks Lilly and Willy (also new to me and why do their names rhyme?). They were only able to free one team. By chance or through careful planning, I will never know. They chose team Burning Firebirds. Billy, Lilly, and Willy said for us to defeat Queen Vanda we must write the greatest and best story in the world. So to you, I will give you my tribute to the greatest and best story in the world.

Not a long time ago the W.O.B.B.L.E. team Burning Firebirds were minding their own business, reading books, and listening to stories. Suddenly, we were all froze still, no movement. Until Sport Billy and his sidekicks came and said, “We only have time to free one team and it’s you, Burning Firebirds. We need for you to free the rest of the teams by writing the greatest and best story in the world. Be safe and we are looking forward to that story.” I’m Rachel, the captain of the Burning Firebirds. I looked at Billy and his gang and said, “Okay”. When Billy and his gang left. I looked at my team and said, “We have a choice, we can win this W.O.B.B.L.E event since we are the only team free or we can do the right thing by writing the greatest and best story in the world. It’s our choice. I need all of you to think about this: win or help the rest of the W.O.B.B.L.E. teams defeat the evil Queen Vanda.” Not much time passed, really just seconds, because the Burning Firebirds are about unity, fairness, and doing the right thing. They know, they must get rid of Queen Vanda so we never have something like this happen to us again. The team chose kick Queen Vanda’s butt by writing the greatest and best story in the world.

We sat around table with pens, paper, computers, and even one old school typewriter. The Firebirds brainstormed ideas and came up with a plan. They all looked at each other and knew what to do. They wrote the first thing that came out of their heads. It just so happened to be the best story in the world. I don’t know how this came into my head but someone wise once said, “One and one make two, two and one make three.” I swear it was destiny. It just kept coming at me. “Once every hundred-thousand years or so, When the sun doth shine and the moon doth glow and the grass doth grow…”

Busily we worked on our sections of the story to make the greatest and best story in the world. Billy came back to check on us to see our progress. He was stunned and read it out loud. We heard horrible noises and a scream so loud. We all looked up. It was Queen Vanda. She found her way to us and said, “Be you angels?” We all said, “Nay, we are but Burning Firebirds” and continued to WRITE.

This here is not the greatest story in the world. Oh no. This is just a tribute. Honestly, I’ve asked my Firebirds if they could remember it but no, no. Not one. We just remember there was the greatest story in the world. You have to believe it! I wish you were there. To see this all happen was amazing.

So, what happened to Queen Vanda? We don’t know. As the busy Burning Firebirds were writing, wind kicked up and papers were flying all around. Billy shouting our story to her and then it went all still and we looked up to see what happened. There was no sign of Queen Vanda or Billy and his gang. The greatest and best story was gone. We looked at each other wondering if this really happened. We saw the other teams emerge and we knew, it did.

Team Burning Firebirds wrote the greatest and best story in the world and this isn’t even a fraction of it. It's just a Tribute.

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela | 504 comments For Team Flying Squirrels:

From the US to Canada and even Brazil
The Flying Squirrels gather and await the thrill
Of an NBRC battle, eighteen weeks of books
Of laughter and stories and games with fun hooks
With Battleship it starts, the first shots are fired
Four hits and six misses, the tasks are acquired
The squirrels take to the air, six books the first day!
And a set of missing keys, but in the end all’s okay
The second round brings a sunken ship and five hits
Plus a second place rating – these squirrels have some grit!
An 800 pager! Ten books in a week!
As a team they push forward; this game’s not for the meek
The next two rounds planned by our Battleship master
Sink twelve more ships, and we only read faster
As the Olympics draw near and the first battle ends
It’s clear that the squirrels have grown to be friends
There were spreadsheet glitches and confusion on rules
But also teamwork and support, cause these ladies are jewels
So bring on the next game, you’ll find we won’t frown
For Flying Squirrels may WOBBLE, but they won’t fall down

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyland) | 387 comments Love the story Rachel, and what a wonderful poem Angela! Such creativity in our midst :)

message 8: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 5524 comments Mod
We have creative people in this group!!

But I am very partial to my awesome Co-Captain of Flying Squirrels for that poem :)

She even managed to work in how one of our teammates lost her car keys and had to get new ones made from the dealership and the beginning of the games.

message 9: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Judith wrote: "We have creative people in this group!!

But I am very partial to my awesome Co-Captain of Flying Squirrels for that poem :)

She even managed to work in how one of our teammates lost her car keys ..."

I concur :)

And great story Rachel!!

message 10: by ♞ Pat (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 664 comments RachelvlehcaR wrote: "Attention everyone! Attention! I’m the Burning Firebirds captain for the W.O.B.B.L.E. Reading Challenge by NBRC Goodreads group. I witnessed this. I experienced this. I was a part of this and this ..."

Pretty awesome tribute, Burning Firebirds. Thank you so much for freeing the WOBBLE world from Queen Vanda! And for giving us such a great story to read.

message 11: by ♞ Pat (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 664 comments Angela wrote: "For Team Flying Squirrels:

From the US to Canada and even Brazil
The Flying Squirrels gather and await the thrill
Of an NBRC battle, eighteen weeks of books
Of laughter and stories and games with ..."

What a happy and fun poem! Well done, Squirrels!

message 12: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 10376 comments Mod
Awesome work, guys! :-)

message 13: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1764 comments Great story Burning Firebirds, and I love the poem Flying Squirrels!

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4209 comments Well done both of you!!

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Once upon a time (also known as early this morning) the infamous Harpy Eagles wandered into their communal meeting place to decide which of their members to sacrifice in the fight against the evil Queen Vanda. Their meeting had no official time and they came in one by one. Some sauntered, some swaggered, a few even snuck in and kept to the shadows.

Their fearless leader, Laura the Bloodthirsty, called the meeting to order.
“Listen up, Harpies!”
They continued to chatter and a few Harpies sat at the table reading while ignoring the other members of their clan.

“I said listen up!” Laura the Bloodthirsty shouted so loud the windows rattled and dust fell from the ceiling above them.

The meeting hall quieted and the Harpies looked to their leader with something akin to awe.

“Now, I called this meeting to discuss the Evil Queen Vanda and her wicked plan.” Laura looked around the room and met the eyes of each of her Harpies. “We must settle this business once and for all. I’m not called Laura the Bloodthirsty because I run from a fight!”

The clan of Harpies pounded their fists against the table and hooted. Kalyn thumped a book onto the table, ready to begin reading at the slightest sign of a fight.

“Now I know my Harpies would never lay down their weapons and give up! We have the best books, the best readers, and we know how to use them!”

Cecily stood from her chair and screamed a battle cry, raising her 700 page book above her head and swinging her arms threateningly. Alissa and Charlie whipped out their books and began to flip through the pages while glaring around at the assembled crowd as if searching for the Evil Queen herself.
Behind Laura, Nanci and Amanda nodded their heads sagely. Nanci spotted a bit of blood on Laura’s cloak and wiped at it with a delicate embroidered handkerchief.

“So will the Harpies answer the call? Will we do battle with the Evil Queen Vanda and save the Olympics?”

More Harpies jumped to their feet. Cindy and Margaret shook hands and raised their books in salute to readers everywhere. Maritza stroked her chin and began formulating strategies and battle plans.

Laura the Bloodthirsty, captain extraordinaire, folded her arms and shook her head sadly. “But our next task is not so straightforward, my beauties.” She took a deep breath. “We must sacrifice one of our own.”

The was a collective gasp and the Harpies looked around their number in despair. Jennifer wiped a stray tear and held her book closer.

“But why?” Asked Rachel. She looked around the room for support. Megan came to stand beside Rachel and put a hand on her shoulder.

“Because,” Laura moved closer and whispered “we must spring a trap and capture the Evil Queen once and for all!”

Now the Harpies perked up. The smiled at each other, secure in the knowledge that their fearless captain would save the day.

Nanci stepped up beside Laura and addressed the clan. “The Evil Queen Vanda has commanded a story in tribute to her prowess. We will send one of ours to deliver the story and then the rest of the Harpies will close in and spring the trap!”

Below the dias, Lauri clapped her hands and stepped forward, ready to sacrifice herself for the greater good. Karen shoved her way to the front of the crowd, intent on being the one to die bringing glory to the clan. Laura the Bloodthirsty shook her head.
“We need all of our best readers in the fight to come. Sadly, there is only one we can spare as a sacrifice. And that one is…”

The Harpies leaned in close, each member holding their breath.

“Amanda.”

There was an explosive whooshing sound as the Harpies released their breath and everyone turned to look at the woman in question.

Amanda stood still, her eyes wide and wild. “WHAT?? Who, me?” She turned to look behind her in case there was another Amanda hidden there. She backed away from the expectant faces hovering around her. “No! Look, I can be a part of the battle, too!” She whipped out a slim volume and waved it around a bit. “It doesn’t look like much, but I can knock a few heads around, just you wait and see! Why do I have to be the sacrifice?”

Laura only shook her head and then she snapped her fingers. The Harpies closed in. Margaret smiled gleefully at the terror on the poor girl’s face.

Amanda was grabbed by a dozen pairs of hands. A sheaf of paper containing a story was shoved into her hands and then the Harpies dragged her out of the meeting place.

In a silent wood not far from the meeting place stood a tree that the Evil Queen had described as the place of story-telling. The Harpies dragged a struggling Amanda to the tree and chained her legs to the trunk.

Laura watched until the chaining was complete and then she held up her book, a brutal looking thing with a picture of a bare-chested monster of a man.

“Tonight we vanquish the Evil Queen Vanda once and for all! Who is with me?”

The Harpies screamed as one and brandished book-weapons of all sizes and colors.

Laura the Bloodthirsty held her book even higher. “I said, who is with me?”

The Harpies began shrieking and running around Laura. Cecily pulled out a second book, and then a third. She tossed them like throwing stars at a nearby tree, then retrieved them.

Tied to the tree, Amanda uttered a shaky-sounding “Yay?” Nanci shook her hard. “I mean…yay!”

Nanci slapped Amanda on the back. “That’s better.”

Laura whistled and held up a hand for silence. “Now we wait until night falls, and then…to battle!”

The Harpies melted silently into the trees, every one of them anticipating the battle to come.

The trap was laid.

Night fell and Amanda could hear rustling in the forest. Suddenly, there before her was the Evil Queen Vanda herself!

She cleared her throat. “Hello Ev— I mean, Queen Vanda. I have your story here as tribute.”

Queen Vanda waved for her to continue. Plucking up her courage, Amanda began to read.

“Once upon a time…”

message 16: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (everlastinggrace) Oh it is StoryTime in HarpyLand! Bravo!!!!!! I love it Amanda!

message 17: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4209 comments Wow - you Harpies are awesome! Great story Amanda!

message 18: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4209 comments description

Rumors abounded about a new challenge called Wobble. It would be difficult, require organization, and last for many weeks. Let’s see who heard the call!

description

Suzanne thought she might try to captain and Die Again. Kelsi Mused about accepting the challenge, and Daphne considered The Meaning of it All. With her upcoming wedding, Laila knew she would be busy, but she can Never Never pass up a challenge! And thus the Hawaiian Bobtail Squids were formed.

These four creatures were so excited to meet the rest of the school! Cathy would Never Say Never to a challenge! They cast A Dark Lure to capture Des. Diane, too, heard The Call and decided to join the team, come Spell or High Water. Jamie became the next Willing Victim and helped keep the team from being a Walking Disaster.
Don't Look Back!” said Jennifer, as she signed away the next four months of her life. Jessica came from The Farthest Shore and joined the Sphere of squids. Leslie made her captain feel like the Luckiest Girl Alive by being so responsible about planning books around her travels. Reed came from The Ocean at the End of the Lane to share her enthusiasm with the team, and Stacy has stayed On the Hunt for the perfect books from the very first day! Teresa brings a lot of Joy to the group and will Consent to help with anything. As for Victoria, she is now riding hundreds of miles on her bicycle. She told the squids to Ride with Me but we’d all rather READ with her instead.

And that, dear friends, is how the squids began. How will it end? Stay tuned in four months!

(Note – each of them read the quoted books too!)

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Great job Suzanne and Hawaiian Squids! I really love the addition of the book titles. :)

message 20: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1764 comments Suzanne and Hawaiian Squids - that's awesome!

message 21: by Nanci (new)

Nanci | 2162 comments Amanda wrote: "Once upon a time (also known as early this morning) the infamous Harpy Eagles wandered into their communal meeting place to decide which of their members to sacrifice in the fight against the evil ..."

Such a great story, Amanda! Love it!

message 22: by Melissa (last edited Jul 13, 2016 09:12AM) (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments The land of NBRC lies far off the coast in the middle of the sea. The inhabitants of the island live peacefully together sharing their love of reading and knowledge. At different times they come together in groups and challenge each other to read more and learn more and have more fun. It was a normal day, a day like another other with the heat of the warm sun shining down onto the people of NBRC as they went about their normal business. Suddenly whispers from the castle began making their way down to the town – a challenge! – a new challenge unlike anything else they had ever experienced before. Rumors began circulating as to what this great challenge would entail – what type of books would we need, would they need to be short or long, would we need to crumble a tower or catch a leprechaun? Soon the whole town was in frenzy, excited to begin this new challenge. It was all anyone talked about for days. Representatives came from the castle to officially announce the new challenge – Wobble. Not one but six different games would be played for months. The townspeople were ecstatic! This would be amazing, nothing like they had ever imagined. The line formed and everyone began signing up for Wobble.

The teams were formed and captains were put into place. Elise would be leading Team Loris. They were all thrilled to begin planning and could not wait to meet the rest of their team. When the team got together there was a whirl of excitement and planning. Everyone could not wait to begin. The first battle to take place was Battleship and Team Loris started off slow – lots of splashing water in round 1!! - but they battled back and at the end of the game they had fought valiantly and sunk 8 ships (those subs evaded them!). The game was tough and some of them didn’t survive through it. Those that were left picked up the loss and read on. They didn’t place where they wanted but they were honored for the friendship they had made and the discussions they had during the game. Team Loris may not have won but they have bonded through friendship and swore to continue on through the quest.

The next event is up and Olympic Games it is. In the midst of the Olympics a threat came to NBRC. Queen Vanda wanted to ruin the game and all of NBRC with her madness. All of the teams must pull together to defeat her. Not one team can do it on its own. So, in the true spirit of NBRC that is what they did. Every team brought their best weapons – their books and their friendship. The battle rages on even now and Team Slender Loris is doing what they can to defeat the evil queen. Queen Vanda will not win the battle – she will not destroy the town of NBRC because of the townspeople. They know the true nature of the game is the friendships they have made and the books they have read and they will come together and defeat the evil queen because Good always wins against Evil.

message 23: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4209 comments Great story Melissa- evil doesn't stand a chance against Team Loris!

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments Thanks :)

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Melissa wrote: "The land of NBRC lies far off the coast in the middle of the sea. The inhabitants of the island live peacefully together sharing their love of reading and knowledge. At different times they come to..."

Great story Melissa! I loved it! :)

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments Thanks Amanda :)

Your story was great as well! Very creative!

message 27: by Grace (new)

Grace (Calcat) | 665 comments Loved reading all the stories. Great work everyone.

message 28: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) I enjoyed reading the stories!

message 29: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1175 comments Deep within the heart of the mountains the Mellow Mammoths gathered in peace to enjoy one another's company. Old friendships and new were forged in the hidden valleys along the peaceful lakes and streams. From the lands below a stirring began and strange messages began to arrive in the land of the Mammoths. A challenge was beginning, one that would require every ounce of fortitude and strength the Mammoths required, individually and as a team. WOBBLE was coming and the Mammoths were committed to their fight.

Lead by the fearless Michelle, the daring Greta, and the Stealthilicious Stacie the Mammoths knew the were in safe hands, prepared to take on all comers whatever the future might hold. The Mammoths had a plan you see, slow and steady was the name of their game. The knew that with a challenge WOBBLE it's all about the war not the individual battles. They put their brains to work and came up with a strategy that would take them through the first round of Battleship with smooth sailing. They plodded along taking out ever ship they managed to find.

When the Olympics began the Mammoths weren't worried by their place. They knuckled down and started knocking off book after book. Suddenly the rumbling started again and spread from team to team. There was a threat to them all determined to make sure none could succeed. Queen Vanda and all her evil minions had arrived on the scene determined to cause chaos and destruction in the happy WOBBLE players midst. Well the Mammoths were having none of it, they were going to stampede on and crush any and all threats under the weight of their feet. Billy, Willy, and Lilly were sent scrambling, running for their lives knowing if they got caught by any one massive foot they were goners. The Mammoths heavy feet marched on in force as they knocked book after book off of their shelves and completed their Olympic events. Their eyes ever peeled for the return of the evil queen's minions they are determined to make sure one and all can enjoy the fun that is WOBBLE.

message 30: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments Love it, Shelby!! Thanks :-)

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Love the Mammoth stampede! Nice job, Shelby!

message 32: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 1646 comments Wonderful story Shelby - whatever the outcome we can hold our trunks up high in honour - and laugh and play as we read.

message 33: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolinet12) | 249 comments Melissa wrote: "The land of NBRC lies far off the coast in the middle of the sea. The inhabitants of the island live peacefully together sharing their love of reading and knowledge. At different times they come to..."

I Loovee your story Melissa :) Nice job !